What's new

Facewash before-,or after shaving?

I know the common advice is to wash your face with facewash (or facial soap) before the actual shave, to soften the hairs, and I can understand that.
Yet I always use my facewash after the shave, to rinse of the shaving soap residues of my face. It gives a much cleaner feeling to me. What do you guys do? before or after?

I only wash my face with a cleanser once a day, before bed. I found that my face gets a bit dry if I wash it before a shave, and it gets even drier after the shave itself. Not very comfortable.

I simply rinse my face with warm water before and after shaving. The warm water rinse is more thorough after the shave to remove lather residue, and I also employ a cold water rinse to finish things off.

i wash my face at night and just run hot water over it when i shower in the morning.
i don't wash before i shave. i've been doing this for awhile and find my skin doesn't dry out as much.

Hmmm...got it...facewash before the shave and only water after the shave to rinse. Will try that for a while.:wink2:

I wash my face AFTER I shave and here's why:

I use a lot of tallow-based soaps and while they give me a great shave, I found that they clogged my pores a bit and caused a few pimples. Ever since that occurred, I have been using an exfoliating face wash after my shave and that seems to have solved the problem.

I wash my face AFTER I shave and here's why:

I use a lot of tallow-based soaps and while they give me a great shave, I found that they clogged my pores a bit and caused a few pimples. Ever since that occurred, I have been using an exfoliating face wash after my shave and that seems to have solved the problem.

That was my reasoning too. Facewash after the shave, cause I didn´t want the shavingcream to clog the pores.Some shavingcreams ,also the expensive ones, are a bit more agressive to my skin, than shave gels (goo from a can). They give a better shave , but still...I guess because it´s a soap based product.
But I will try it for a while, only water rinsing after the shave. See how that feels.

Last edited:
A good aftershave splash with alcohol will do wonders for your face after a shave. It will help heal, soothe and remove any remaining residue (??) that an improper rinse may leave behind. I don't use creams or soaps that react with my face as I have sensitive combination skin that is subject to breakouts.

I've been slacking on my routine for months, due to a lack of products, location, and whatnot, but back when I was an evening shaver:

1. Warm water/KMF bar soap (Green Tea aloe I think) wash prior to the shave.
2. Shave
3. Cold water splash
4. Witchhazel or Aftershave (alky based) and/or Aftershave Balm, really dependent on the shave and how my face felt.

Then in the morning, Noxema face wash, and a light bit of after shave.

I use MenScience Fash Wash before every shave (during every shower really). After shaving I will do a hot water rinse, just to make sure I didnt miss any spots, then a cold water, some witch hazel, then an aftershave.

I shower in the morning and allow warm water to wash over my face, then shave. I wash my face before I go to bed (meaing once a day), the reasoning being that you pick up toxins by walking around during the day, and if you're washing your face in the morning, you are and rubbing those accumulated toxins / pollutants on your pillow and your skin while you sleep. That's what my dermatologist tells me anyway. Natural facial oils also assist in the shave, and those get wiped away if you wash your face beforehand.

After, plus I still have a little shave soap lather left in my goatee so it increases the lather from the face wash. Had had next to no breakouts since I started shaving DE.

I use a clean washcloth to dry my face.

I wash my face in the shower at nite then shave in the morning it a warm water only wash with a clean washcloth then fresh dose of AS .

There is no right or wrong, I think, and it depends on if your shaving cream/soap/gel of choice rinses easily with just water and a toner or not. If not, then by all means, do a second facial wash to rinse your face since you do not want most shaving creams sitting on your face all day since they can clog pores, dry out your skin and whatnot.

I always wash my face before a shave, of several reasons. It softens the hair to be cut and most importantly, it gets rid of accumulated dirt which is always a good thing. The cleaner the canvas and tools, the less chance of infection of any kind.

I know that some experience that washing their face twice a day dries it out. If this applies to you, I would suggest looking into a gentler cleanser for drier, more sensitive skin. Usually, you don't need a heavy duty cleanser if you do not have extremely oily skin. There are several options out there, for example in the shelf with allergy free products for sensitive skin or even baby soap. My personal favourite for everyday cleansing is a very basic pure castille soap cleanser with castor oil in it. Though, as all soap based products, it has to be followed with a toner to rebalance your skin again. And of course, after every wash/shave a good, basic facial lotion is key morning and night.

The key to good skincare is gentle cleansing, rebalancing ph levels, rehydrating (splash of water, or hydrosol works great) and then sealing the moisture into the skin to keep it supple and happy which you do with a lotion or sometimes just a few drops of oil depending on your skin and its needs.

Good skincare is as advanced a science as a good shave, and just as a good shave, it all depends on you and in the case of skincare your skin.

Just before for me. That way I can get the parts I won't shave, like my eyelids and forehead clean. Aftrer I shave I apply ample amount of cold water to rinse away the shaveing cream and the bits and peices then splash oh aftershave. I've not had that not so fresh feeling, personally...:001_tongu

I apreciate the replies and solid advice guys,thanks.
I see now that it´s about 50/50. Some of you use facewash before- and some use it after the shave.
I´ve tried for few days the " wash before, and only water rinse after" ritual,it was ok, but I think I still prefer my old "facewash after" regiment. It feels cleaner.
I rinse before the shave only with warm water to make the lather and after the shave I wash my face with facewash to rinse off all the stuff and then moisturise.

Thanks,
eric

I do before. This is what I do:

While in shower:

Wash face and neck
shampoo/condition face and neck (and head)
rinse

After shave:

rinse good with warm/hot water
rinse with really cold water
let drip dry
apply balm

Top Bottom