What's new

I hate to admit it, but I need some help

Having been a member here for over a year, I feel a little embarrassed to ask for help, but I really think I need it. I am still getting non-BBS, uncomfortable shaves. I have tried every cream and soap under the sun (well, for the most part). I have also tried many blades and many styles of DEs. The only thing I really never got an AD for was brushes, but I doubt that makes any difference. I use Kyle's prep. I know my shaves are bad because I feel irritation, do not get BBS, and get a lot of burn with my AS, regardless of the one I use. I even get a burning sensation from Nivea ASB. I am sure it has to be my technique.

Anyway, I use a Merkur HD and "red pack" Personnas. My brush is a Shavemac D01. How do I figure out what I need to change? It cannot be the blade because out of all the blades I have tried, the "red pack" Personnas have given me the best shaves (in terms of comfort). I do not mind getting a DFS, but at the very least I would like to get a shave with very little or no irritation. Help!

Have you thought about switching to a different razor, as well? The Merkur is nice, but how about an adjustable where you can play with the settings? The angle your razor holds the blade might not be the best for you. I'd look into picking up a Slim, Fatboy or Futur (or maybe all three) so you can try different settings.

I've found brushes to be important (I have four), but I've found the razor used and the technique to have more to do with the shave I get. The brush makes a bigger difference in how well it lathers and applies soap. That contributes to the shave, but not as much as the razor and how you wield it.

So I'd recommend the Slim, Fatboy or Futur. I have all three and get very different shaves depending on where I set them.

Matthew, if you're interested in taking Uncle's advice, I can send you my Futur and cooncatbob Bull Mastiff/NEW combo to use for a while...not a permanent PIF or option to buy, mind you, but trying some new hardware just might be the ticket. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

The immediate technique options that come to mind are pressure (are you using too much or too little) and angle (too flat or too steep). I would recommend changing a single thing at a time so it is possible to identify what helps or does not help the shave. For a week trying adjusting the angle of the razor. If that doesn't help, try more or less pressure. It might not be either of those, which means you're in for at least a month of testing. In the end, getting a great shave consistently is worth the testing and practice.

Good luck.

get a custom cooncat with a shortcomb new head :thumbup1: My favorite DE shaver and ive tried many :thumbup1: here is mine

Last edited:
I think both short and long shaves the same from what I recall so either way I agree, any new comb head :thumbup:

Is the black handle the light(er) version? Mine is the original "neutron star" heavy handle, and I love the heft on that thing...amazing how well balanced it is despite the weight.

Matthew,

I know you have tried many blades, but your magic shave may still be out there. It took me a while to find my favorite combinations, but once I did, it made all the difference in the world. For me, the best two razors have been the Gillette Red Tip and the Merkur slant. I tried the Merkur HD, and did not like it one bit. The slant has been incredible, however. I can't lend you my slant (because I use it daily), but I'd be happy to lend you my Red Tip (which has been a very close second to the slant) or a Gillette Tech. My favorite blade has been the Gillette 7 O'Clock sharp edge yellows. Works great in both the Red Tip and the slant (for me). I'd be happy to send you a pack if you have not already tried them. I would also be happy to loan you a SE razor if you want to give one a shot.

Other than Kyle's prep, what is your shave routine? You're a pretty experienced shaver, so I'd be surprised if it's your angle. I'm assuming you have tried different angles and pressure levels. How many passes are you doing? Is it possible you are allergic to something you are using during your routine? Do you have the exact same level of irritation on the first day with your blade as on the subsequent shave(s)?

Last edited:
The immediate technique options that come to mind are pressure (are you using too much or too little) and angle (too flat or too steep). I would recommend changing a single thing at a time so it is possible to identify what helps or does not help the shave. For a week trying adjusting the angle of the razor. If that doesn't help, try more or less pressure. It might not be either of those, which means you're in for at least a month of testing. In the end, getting a great shave consistently is worth the testing and practice.

Good luck.

The above is also my recommendation. I have a very soft beard and very sensitive skin. I've never had a problem with my Merkur HD but then again I have refined my technique over 30 years. No pressure and correct angle are the keys to a fine shave.

Pick up a $10 tech around here, and work on a 2-pass shave. It won't be the closest, but there's no way you can possibly irritate your skin with that.

I have been at it over a year and I think I finally got it within the past few weeks. A few things to try.......

Merkur Open Comb: They are fairly gentle but can provide a close shave

Pre Shaves: Proraso pre/post or a pure oil such as Jojoba. Jack Black Beard Lube is great too as a pre shave. I found it really protects the skin.

New Blade For Every Shave: I know most people don't do this, but I do. I have really sensitive skin and require a new blade for every shave. A little more expensive, but worth it IMO.

And lastly, if you decide to try a new razor, try new blades as well even if you tried them before. They may work differently in a different razor.

Or.............get a slant! That is my new favorite toy. It is great!

O ya. I have spent a ton of money to find the right combo. Unfortunately, you may need to shell out some more cash to play with new things as well. But I would seriously consider an open comb if I were you. You can angle it until it is almost flat on the skin yet the teeth provide protection against the blade.

Last edited:
I would try a mild razor (Tech or Superspeed) with a very sharp blade. Try a 2 pass shave with touch up and see where that gets you. Watch the angle. Another thing you may want to try is massaging some kind of non-comedogenic moisturizer into your beard after prep, but before applying lather. I have been using Jojoba oil for this. Recently I was getting some really bad shaves because my skin was drying out and I was being too aggressive with my razor. However, the pre-shave moisturizer has really helped a lot.

I would take GoldenMonkey up on his offer, it would be a way to test drive a different DE and see if that was the issue for you. Perhaps DE is just not for you, maybe SE or Injector or even Straight may be a better option.

I'm not going to assume for one second that I have all the answers for you but I'll just to tell you of my own experiences and what works for me. Like you I started shaving with a DE razor and went through a hellish year of uncomfortable shaves. What actually changed everything for me was finding a line of products I like but most importantly the correct environment for me to shave in. All the videos I watched about shaving on the Internet talked about shaving after a shower or in the shower. Shaving in the shower didn't work for me and neither did shaving after a shower. I ended up coming away with a red raw face or lots of nicks and cuts.

What revolutionised my shaving experience was shaving in a hot bath. I have a course, curly beard that is prown to ingrown hairs and the combination of hot water and steam produced by the bath just seems to work for me. I get far less ingrown hairs these days and never cut or nick myself anymore. My skin is in far better condition and shaving is finally the joy it should be. I believe the environment we shave in is far more important than the products we use.

Having said that I choose the products I use carefully. I use the AOS Lemon oil, cream and aftershave balm and in addition their Hydrosol Rose water and Kiehls Face Scrub three times a week. I use a C&E Super Badger brush and a Merkur Futur with Feather or Derby blades.

So maybe, try a couple of shaves in a hot bath and see if it works for you - you may just be surprised!

Last edited:
I would take GoldenMonkey up on his offer, it would be a way to test drive a different DE and see if that was the issue for you. Perhaps DE is just not for you, maybe SE or Injector or even Straight may be a better option.

Yeah, I forgot I can even throw in an aluminum handled British Tech with the others to try...doesn't get much more mild than that, lol...a little TOO mild for me, but worth a shot. I's about the polar opposite of the Bull Mastiff/NEW, lol.

try either an adjustable gillette or the 'less aggressive' Merkur 23c.. the red Personnas are a mild blade, but the HD is an aggressive razor!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good advices up here... You might want to try a few other blades if you can. There might be something that would be better than the Personna for you...

Top Bottom