What's new

Ogallala Bay Rum - Allergy?

After a close shave, I put some witch hazel and then flushed liberally the Ogallala Bay Rum that was just mailed to me. The burning was terrible and it lasted almost 5 minutes. I had to use after it Nivea balm and Proraso pre/after cream to calm the skin down. I got afraid and took an antihistamine.
I like strong after shaves with alcohol. But the burning lasts seconds and not minutes as it was in the case of Ogallala. Could it be an allergy reaction?

Edit: Now I read that I had to shake well the bottle. I have not.

Yep, the Ogallala burn can be quite be quite alarming, I'm surprised it isn't discussed more often on B&B.

I use plenty of other alcohol and menthol heavy splashes and nothing burns me better than Ogallala :w00t:

I have found that the limes and peppercorns is a little more mild (but not much).

The big plus for me is that Ogallala aftershave scent lingers on me for at least an hour. :thumbup1:

Did you follow the directions and shake well before applying? The really strong oils float to the top, and you HAVE to shake well, otherwise you'll have a Home Alone moment.

Yep, the Ogallala burn can be quite be quite alarming, I'm surprised it isn't discussed more often on B&B.

I use plenty of other alcohol and menthol heavy splashes and nothing burns me better than Ogallala :w00t:

I have found that the limes and peppercorns is a little more mild (but not much).

The big plus for me is that Ogallala aftershave scent lingers on me for at least an hour. :thumbup1:

Actually there are threads...It's my fault --- I didn't check carefully...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124422

http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82595

And yes, GoldenMonkey, I didn't shake it at all....

I almost didn't read the fine print myself the first time, lol...if it's well shaken, it stays mixed pretty well, and you'll get a lot more witch hazel and alcohol than the bay oil and other stuff, and it is quite soothing. Bay tends to have a slight burn to it, but then it also acts as a topical anasthetic, so it really feels neat. I can only imagind how awful it feels straight to the face though...sympathies!

I almost didn't read the fine print myself the first time, lol...if it's well shaken, it stays mixed pretty well, and you'll get a lot more witch hazel and alcohol than the bay oil and other stuff, and it is quite soothing. Bay tends to have a slight burn to it, but then it also acts as a topical anasthetic, so it really feels neat. I can only imagind how awful it feels straight to the face though...sympathies!

Thanks!

I've found it to be less of a Home Alone moment, and more of a sink to your knees and sob kinda thing.

Of course, there was the day when I poured it into my hand and watched (as if in slow motion) as a large amount spilled out and landed....south of the border. THAT is not the best way to start your day :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I've found it to be less of a Home Alone moment, and more of a sink to your knees and sob kinda thing.

Of course, there was the day when I poured it into my hand and watched (as if in slow motion) as a large amount spilled out and landed....south of the border. THAT is not the best way to start your day :tongue_sm

:lol:Sorry to laugh at that particular start to the day, but how can you not?

I, too, have had a sob moment. The first time I applied my Kanon(after it had sat unused by my dad for, oh, 15 years or more?) I had been maybe a little to aggressive. I was certain my face was on fire, and that I just couldnt see it. To make matters worse, a little bit got too close to my nose, and I think into my nostril. HOLY CRAP!!! That hurt!

Top Bottom