Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Travel razor...non DE!?!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, GA
    Posts
    1,482

    Default Travel razor...non DE!?!

    I hate to do this, but I am going to have to ask for advice on..gulp...a non DE razor for traveling.
    I travel for work(sales) and spend at least one day a week on an airplane and in a hotel. When I travel I do not check my baggage because typically it is just a small suitcase and my briefcase, plus it is $50 to check a bag and I doubt my company is going to pay that just so I can bring my Merkur with me.
    What I want to know is for those who travel what type of razor do you take with you?
    I have been looking at the Gillette Sensor Excell since it only has 2 blades, but wanted to see if there were any recommendations.

    Thanks everyone for the help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Just throwing this out there...but have you looked into an injector? I don't know if they're airplane approved. They're pretty safe because you can't take the blade out without a key and they only have one blade.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Westlake, OH
    Posts
    904

    Default

    You'll find a number of Sensor fans here; I haven't tried one in a long time but have heard good things about it. I usually pack a Trac II handle when I go carry-on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Westlake, OH
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    Just throwing this out there...but have you looked into an injector? I don't know if they're airplane approved. They're pretty safe because you can't take the blade out without a key and they only have one blade.
    Don't try it. An injector is not carry-on safe unless it's empty.

    EDIT: You may want to check the wiki if you haven't already; there's some good travel info there.
    Last edited by DougK; 02-25-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Additional comment

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mid-Michigan
    Posts
    3,056
    Images
    46

    Default

    Try a Bic Metal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    13,872

    Default

    When I get into those situations where I gotta fly I like to use my Trac II (Bump-Fighter Handle) or Atra cart razors using Personna blades. It gives pretty good results and is a cheap setup. The Sensor is also a good alternative. Try them all and see which on is more to your liking.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    I use a SE when I go home (600ish miles from school, so I fly). Sure, you have to spend $4 on a pack of blades when you get where you are going, but it is a lot cheaper than a $50 bag.
    Drew

  8. #8

    Default

    Sensor for me. TSA friendly and it gives me quick, easy shaves, which is exactly what I need on the road. Plus, they don't create as much plastic waste as disposables.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Far Far north suburbs of Chicago
    Posts
    33,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbash View Post
    I hate to do this, but I am going to have to ask for advice on..gulp...a non DE razor for traveling.
    I travel for work(sales) and spend at least one day a week on an airplane and in a hotel. When I travel I do not check my baggage because typically it is just a small suitcase and my briefcase, plus it is $50 to check a bag and I doubt my company is going to pay that just so I can bring my Merkur with me.
    What I want to know is for those who travel what type of razor do you take with you?
    I have been looking at the Gillette Sensor Excell since it only has 2 blades, but wanted to see if there were any recommendations.

    Thanks everyone for the help.
    The sensor is about the last decent razor that Gillette made. It works pretty well, considering it's a cart razor. I think it would suit you fine. You could also check into the Atra type razors available, the blades are considerably cheaper, as they are made in generic form. The Trac 2 works well also and the blades are sold generically. The Trac 2 is an easy choice because you can buy a "Bump Fighter" Razor, and that handle fits the Trac 2 blades. It also shaves better than the Atra, in my opinion.

    If I had to use a cart, my personal choice in order would be;
    Trac 2
    Atra
    Sensor

    Regarding travel - I travel a lot, and I always check a bag when I fly. Your company should be willing to expense the checked bag fee. It isn't for your Merkur - it's for your personal belongings that you must bring along on a trip that is mandated by the company, not you.



    Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    Just throwing this out there...but have you looked into an injector? I don't know if they're airplane approved. They're pretty safe because you can't take the blade out without a key and they only have one blade.
    Injectors are not allowed on planes either. Only cartridge type blades (embedded in plastic) are allowed.
    That is the definitive word from the TSA
    Phil
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,941

    Default

    I liked the Sensor 2 blade Excell. I used one for quite awhile before switching to the 3 & 4 blade monsters. I actually went back to the Sensor about a month before going DE. While waiting for my 1st DE, I was using the Sensor with my brush and Proraso and it gave me some great close shaves.
    ~brian

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomfield Township, Michigan
    Posts
    3,033
    Images
    31

    Default

    Another vote for a Trac II handle and Personna Plus 2 cartridges.

    - Chris

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts
    Posts
    14,798

    Default

    Have you looked into the Merkur travel DE. It comes in both the safety bar and the open comb. When its broken down it fits into its own leather pouch that's only a couple inches wide. If its broken down and not loaded with a blade it'll pass through the TSA. Then you can get a pack of DE blades when you arrive at your destination.

    This razor is also an excellent shaver, and well worth having.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pine Barrens, NJ
    Posts
    9,381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpflaum View Post
    I use a SE when I go home (600ish miles from school, so I fly). Sure, you have to spend $4 on a pack of blades when you get where you are going, but it is a lot cheaper than a $50 bag.
    Why not just buy a duplicate of your favorite DE razor and blades, and leave that at home?
    DIY Signature Kit. Some Assembly Required.
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456790

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,470
    Images
    1

    Default

    I bought a Gillette Super Click for travel, the razor is all plastic , very lightweight, and very cheap to buy.
    Paired whit a Feather blade it makes a great travel razor.
    -jon

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Far Far north suburbs of Chicago
    Posts
    33,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaveAddict View Post
    I bought a Gillette Super Click for travel, the razor is all plastic , very lightweight, and very cheap to buy.
    Paired whit a Feather blade it makes a great travel razor.
    The problem is not so much with which razor, but with razor blades. If you are going to mail blades ahead or check a bag, then you might as well use a nice hefty razor.
    Since he can't bring blades on board the plane, the type of DE razor he might use is moot.
    Phil
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  16. Default

    Another vote for Bic Metal or Bic Sensitive

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Past midway in our life's journey…
    Posts
    3,309
    Images
    1

    Default

    First, I'd look at whether I could mail some blades ahead for someone to keep for me (and that includes a hotel where I had a reservation). If there wasn't time to do that, and I didn't want to spend the time at my destination trying to find decent DE, SE, injector, whatever, blades, I'd just bring my Atra.

    I have two of the old, decent quality, Atra handles. CVS "Pivot Plus" cartridges are less than 50¢ each if you buy a 20 pack. They shave, well, pretty well if you use soap and brush rather than "canned goo".
    "...when I attempt a discourse the words come out as they will, and they may make sense when they strike the atmosphere, or they may not." O.Henry - - "Cabbages and Kings"

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,470
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmysuper View Post
    The problem is not so much with which razor, but with razor blades. If you are going to mail blades ahead or check a bag, then you might as well use a nice hefty razor.
    Since he can't bring blades on board the plane, the type of DE razor he might use is moot.
    So it's not permit to bring DE blades on plane when you travel?
    -jon

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Far Far north suburbs of Chicago
    Posts
    33,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaveAddict View Post
    So it's not permit to bring DE blades on plane when you travel?
    No. Not at all, under any circumstances.
    If you get caught doing so, it's possible detention / jail and $1100.00 fine per incident.
    That means a 10 pack of blades would cost you Eleven Thousand dollars in fines.
    Phil
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,470
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmysuper View Post
    No. Not at all, under any circumstances.
    If you get caught doing so, it's possible detention / jail and $1100.00 fine per incident.
    That means a 10 pack of blades would cost you Eleven Thousand dollars in fines.
    Wow, i didn't knew that, better to bring a Bic razor then.
    -jon

Similar Threads

  1. NOS Enders Razor, vintage Leather travel case with travel tech
    By Beerman in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 06:55 PM
  2. Mint Gillette travel razor,WWII & German travel razors
    By cpool222 in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM
  3. WTB: Travel Brush and Merkur Travel Razor
    By Mindflux in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 09:53 AM
  4. FS/FT Gillette Travel Razor (K2), and Daintee Shave Travel Razor
    By TakeTheCann0lis in forum Shaving Mall - Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 10:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.