What's new

Which Thiers-Issard Should I Get?

I am about 2 months in and straight shaving around 4 times per week. I have a Henckel 5/8" part hollow, a Dovo 5/8" full hollow, a no-name Sheffield 6/8" extra hollow and a no-name Solingen-made 4/8" full hollow. I am considering getting a Thiers-Issard and am prepared to pay up for a flagship razor. I was wondering what experienced B&B members see as the pros and cons of the different TI razors. I am considering the historic 6/8", a singing 5/8" or 6/8", a 5/8" luxury, or a 6/8" Le Grelot. I want this to be a star shaver and look nice too. I have coarse whiskers, but not scary-coarse. Is historic steel better than the steel used in the modern razors? I hear a lot about the Le Grelot, is it a cut above the other high-end TIs? Any and all input welcome. Thanks.

I like the 6/8 Le Grelot so much that I ended up with 9 of them (a 7-day set and 2 I travel with). Don't know much about the others. I have the "Taos" TI from AOS with stainless steel scales and I like it but don't use it anymore.

I'm still a newbie at straight shaving, and I started with a good razor from Bob Keyes site (which is still King!). But I now have a 6/8" Le Grelot in the mail from Martin (rasurpur.de). Most razors have arguable points - yet no one says anything "bad" about the Le Grelot!

The TI Le Grelot is an excellent, top notch razor and you will not be disappointed if you buy one. I've never used any of the others you have listed, so I can't comment on them, but I have used the Le Grelot for about 6 months now, and it is an awesome blade. Super sharp, well balanced, nice scales and pins and easy to handle. I've never heard of anyone who doesn't love his TI Le Grelot.

Thanks everyone - I admit I am leaning towards the Le Grelot. While not as fancy looking as some of the other TIs, if it delivers half the performance and satisfaction to me that it has to everyone else - I'm sure it would be a good choice.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks everyone - I admit I am leaning towards the Le Grelot. While not as fancy looking as some of the other TIs, if it delivers half the performance and satisfaction to me that it has to everyone else - I'm sure it would be a good choice.

The Grelots are not, IMHO, technically TIs. TI bought out Grelot back in the 1960s or something (forget when, exactly) and what is (or recently was ... are there any left???) on the market now are old Grelot blades TI bought as part of that buy-out that have been sitting in dusty forgotten boxes in the back corner of a warehouse or two for a long time. But TI finished them off and sold them, so there are some TI fingerprints on them too.

This is certainly not a criticism, and they are very good blades. Given the scarcity of NOS Grelots, get one if you can. Failing that, I'd say go for an 'historic' TI ... the 'festonne' model is very nice. :thumbup1:

http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/shop.html

I prefer the old TI to their c135. The vintage LeGrelots are fantastic, so I've never had the urge to try a TI razor made of these blanks. I like the TI's scales better than LeGrelot's, but if that is an issue scales by max or glen would beat both. And I can't see how TI will make the blade any better than LeGrelot did, I've found the later more pleasant to hone and shave as good or better.

If I were in a TI buying mode without price without price as a consideration, I would likely opt for the barber's notch Le Canadien.
The is the same as this one:
http://www.thiers-issard.co.uk/historicspartacusbone.html
which I have and shaves just great.
I also have 1/4 LeGrelot which shaves just great.
I have honed a 3/4 Hen and rooster which shaved just great.

from my limited experience with TI and what I have read others comment, TI razors all shave very well.

Oooo, good choice!!! Hope that you like the Le Grelot as much as I have enjoyed mine. Is someone going to hone it for you or are you doing it yourself? Mine was honed by whoever does the work at Classic Shaving, and I have to say it was so damn sharp when I got it that it was almost TOO sharp! The edge has "calmed down" a bit since then, and now it's one of my absolute best blades. Anyway, enjoy!

Top Bottom