What's new

Have you ever actually finished a non-glycerin soap?

I'm beginning to believe it's not possible.
I've been doing this wetshaving thing for almost 2 years (June 2008), and I've never run out of a soap. Creams? Sure. I blew through 2 tubes of Proraso red, 1 green, and a tube of Speick.

BUT...
in my collection:
Tabac
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Art of Shaving Sandalwood, Lemon, and Lavender

And they all still look almost NEW. I have been face lathering with mostly soaps for almost 2 years, and I haven't killed ANY of them yet. If I was to switch to ONE soap and use it exclusively, how long would it take to go through it? I mean, it's not like I'm stingy, either- I load the HELL out of my brush, and tend to have enough lather for a few extra passes after my standard 3-and-go in the mornings if I need it.

Yes, it can happen but it all depends on the size of your rotation. It's great to finish a puck and then buy three to replace it!

I'm beginning to believe it's not possible.
I've been doing this wetshaving thing for almost 2 years (June 2008), and I've never run out of a soap. Creams? Sure. I blew through 2 tubes of Proraso red, 1 green, and a tube of Speick.

BUT...
in my collection:
Tabac
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
Art of Shaving Sandalwood, Lemon, and Lavender

And they all still look almost NEW. I have been face lathering with mostly soaps for almost 2 years, and I haven't killed ANY of them yet. If I was to switch to ONE soap and use it exclusively, how long would it take to go through it? I mean, it's not like I'm stingy, either- I load the HELL out of my brush, and tend to have enough lather for a few extra passes after my standard 3-and-go in the mornings if I need it.

I used a bowl of AOS lavender, shaving with it exclusively every day for 9 months before it was gone. I didn't use anything else during that time. Large soaps like these last a long time.

Now I have three soaps in rotation: Trumper's Rose, TOBS Lavender and Pre Sante Green Tea. I expect that I am working on at least a two year supply right now.

I've finished many sticks of Palmolive, that was my go to soap for many years, before I a yet unknown, but expensive urge led me to try new things...

My father claims to have used up many, many pucks of TABAC during his many shaving years.
But I've never seen it myself & AFAIK, they are indestructible :w00t:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
In a little over 3 yrs I have gone through quite a bit of lathering agents from start to finish.... Guess Im a little heavy handed which loading the brushes... Remember I use pretty much large brushes and always squeeze out the ultra-hydro lather at the end.

Finished:

1 tub of T&H Ultimate Comfort Cream
1 tub D.R. Harris Almond Cream
2 pucks Tabac Soap
1 puck Trumper Rose Soap
2 pucks T&H Luxury Soap
2 pucks MWF

All of these from start to finish along with lots of other 1/2 pots of TOBS, T&H, Trumper's creams, that I either bought or used and sold as partials.

Current inventory is a very few soap scraps of MWF (still lathers)
about 1/2 puck of tallow Trumper Rose, puck of Tabac used maybe a dozen times, and a new veggie Trumper Rose puck when the tallow one runs out.

Ok..... I have a 1/2 tube of Speick Cream and a 1/4 stick left of Speick soap from when I was the fortunate winner of the Speick givewaway.

I guess I have used quite a bit of product in 3 yrs!

I'm on my third puck of Tabac. I shave daily and I don't have a "rotation" and it takes me somewhere between six months and a year to finish a Tabac puck.

I finally finished a puck of vintage Old Spice that I started about 40 years ago. Of course it sat for a few decades unused until I re-discovered it about a year ago. :001_smile

I finally finished a puck of vintage Old Spice that I started about 40 years ago. Of course it sat for a few decades unused until I re-discovered it about a year ago. :001_smile
I'm predicting another 6 months out of my MWF with near daily use - one light face lathering in the shower (kyle's prep) and a full 3 pass lathering afterward.

It took just under two years to finish off a Trumper's Coconut soap. My wife got me three for a present three years ago. I just started in with the second and I'm contemplating trading the third to get something else in the rotation... I have a puck of Williams and VDH Deluxe sitting next to the Trumper's, and I expect they'll both be gone first.

I finished off one puck of Williams. Other than that, well, I have a rotation which is slowing down using up other things. Even the glycerin soaps don't seem to go that fast, though. I've finished off only one puck of VdH. I keep raising my estimate of how long my current stock will last. I've sworn off buying new soaps or creams.

I probably do waste less because I face lather, but still . . .

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I am hell bent on finishing a bowl of C&E Sandalwood soap. I bought several years ago and used it sporadically over time.

I decided at the end of 2009 that I would use it exclusively in 2010 until it is done. Strayed twice. Once with a DR Harris Arlington and once with some vintage Old Spice. Other than that I have been staying the course..

I can't imagine knocking this one down before Memorial Day.

Last edited:
I have a terrible habit that I'm trying to break. When I started wet shaving, I would soak the brush and soap, and build the lather right on top of the soap puck. I likely ended up with a LOT of wasted soap, and a good deal of sub-par lather. But it has still been far better than go from a can.

That being said, I have managed to toss rather large, usable scraps of Tabac, AOS, Omega and Proraso soaps. If I don't have at least 3 in rotation, I'll get bored and toss one, just so I can buy another. Honestly, after using a $10 for a full year, close to daily, I feel that I have more than got my money's worth....

Top Bottom