What's new

How can I preserve the stickers on my GFT soap bowls?

So I have had my GFT soaps for less than a month and already the humidity from the bathroom is casing the stickers on the bowl to bubble up. There is hope however, I am having replacements mailed in from the wonderful people at Trumpers. Is there a way when I reapply them that I can preserve/protect the stickers from the moisture of the bathroom so the sticker lasts?

You could use some varnish. They even sell it in spray cans like paint. Check out Home Depot or Lowes maybe even Wal Mart. just look for clear varnish, I think they even have a choice between gloss and matte. A thin coat should do it.

You could use some varnish. They even sell it in spray cans like paint. Check out Home Depot or Lowes maybe even Wal Mart. just look for clear varnish, I think they even have a choice between gloss and matte. A thin coat should do it.[

How much should it protect from humidity and moisture?

Last edited:
Just like any other wood exposed to humidity. The wood will degrade over time, but it will last longer. If you really want to protect the wood spray the whole bowl. Take the soap out, clean the inside and let it dry for a few days. Then varnish every little bit of wood and it should help the wood last longer, not forever though.

Just like any other wood exposed to humidity. The wood will degrade over time, but it will last longer. If you really want to protect the wood spray the whole bowl. Take the soap out, clean the inside and let it dry for a few days. Then varnish every little bit of wood and it should help the wood last longer, not forever though.

I think the wood is fine, I'm just worried about keeping the sticker in the condition as I got them. Sounds like a good idea though, taking the soap out then applying the new sticker, then spraying it all with a clear varnish.

Ive never had that problem, are you getting water on the lid somehow?

(though the varnish idea is a good one, a thin coat or two sprayed over the top should hold it fast)

Ive never had that problem, are you getting water on the lid somehow?

(though the varnish idea is a good one, a thin coat or two sprayed over the top should hold it fast)

I got just a few droplets on them once, but the moisture from the steam of the shower seems to be making it worse I think?

I have a wood box with a decoupage picture and I sprayed it with a clear acrylic spray. No problem. It will probably change the color of your wood bowl a little and make it shine. Satin finish is not as shiny.

best of luck,
mrscottishman

I'd venture to say that the Minwax hand-rubbed poly may be your best bet. I have used it for years with great results. And they make a satin which would be less noticeable on your bowls. Easy to put on with the durability that poly offers (though not as much so as a traditional brush on)

So I went ahead and applied a coat of clear nail polish. The coating goes on thick and dries really fast, and it is clear!!!! I hope it lasts though. :confused1

IMO you have more of a issue w/ how to evacuate the steam from your bathroom. You will eventually have issues w/ your brushes, blades, razors, ect....I don't know the layout of your shower area. Are there windows? Could a exhaust fan be used? Maybe store your shave gear elsewhere. Good luck.

Strange intersection of thoughts, here. I was just wondering if/how to remove the stickers from the lid and whether or not the top would look OK without a sticker. Is the wood finished under the cardboard sticker or not? What about the glue? And so on....

I want to be able to reuse the "Rose" bowl with a different scented GFT soap and not have it mislabeled.

Any thoughts?

IMO you have more of a issue w/ how to evacuate the steam from your bathroom. You will eventually have issues w/ your brushes, blades, razors, ect....I don't know the layout of your shower area. Are there windows? Could a exhaust fan be used? Maybe store your shave gear elsewhere. Good luck.

I have a working vent but it only helps a little bit with the moisture. The mirror still fogs up. It is a small to medium sized bathroom if it means anythhing.

I have a wood box with a decoupage picture and I sprayed it with a clear acrylic spray. No problem. It will probably change the color of your wood bowl a little and make it shine. Satin finish is not as shiny.

best of luck,
mrscottishman

yup I have a couple wooden bowls with lids that i used when grating down some shave sticks that I did this too. Turned out pretty good

Top Bottom