What's new

How do I find a 22mm restore?

I have this wonderful 22mm knot...and have purchased 6 or 7 brushes for restore...which I will restore...but none turned out to be 22mm. Does anybody know how I can assure I get a 22mm holed brush for restore? I guess I could ask ebay sellers to measure, but that doesn't seem entirely accurate or reliable.

Anybody know of a resource that might tell me which kind of old brushes, namely ever-ready's are what size? or does anybody have any experience finding some version of a brush that is 22mm?

any help would be great.

I thought someone (fidgit maybe) did one of those Blue/White EverReady's with a 22mm knot.

There looks to be enough handle material in those to open them up a bit....but someone will know for sure.

I thought someone (fidgit maybe) did one of those Blue/White EverReady's with a 22mm knot.

There looks to be enough handle material in those to open them up a bit....but someone will know for sure.

Sorry, not me.

20mm or below exclusively :001_smile

I suspect the Fuller I restored might handle a 22mm knot. The 20mm knot was certainly too small without modification but I couldn't be stuffed measuring, just started chopping into it.....

I am putting a 22mm in a ever ready. Basically I used a Step Bit to bore the hole a little larger, and then filled the whole thing with epoxy, then drilled a nice clean 22mm hole with a forstner bit. Good to go.. (technically mine is a 24mm hole, but the same process applies).

"disclaimer" these are from memory and experience, and may not be true in every case....

Most of the vintage Fuller, klenzo and rubberset and century branded handles "on average" will take on a slightly larger knot than a comparably sized ever ready or made rite.

By and large, any of the vintage long wood handles, will take at leat a 22mm knot, most take larger.

Also, if you can find a vintage handle that is 4" or taller with a rubber knot casing...also "on average" will take a 22mm knot, or at least have the potential to. The rubber casings can typically be opened up a tad (1-2mm) if you need some extra room. Here is a thread that talks about just that. Its a vintage handle that had to be opened up a tad. started with a 22mm opening, but needed 22mm extra stuffed finest knot (which btw requires about a 24mm opening to fit for a loft setting in the low 50mm range).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102847

The easiest way to tell if a vintage handle has a rubber knot casing? The botton and top are differenct colors, blue/black, blue/white, any with bakelite or catalin bases. most of these have a black top and a gold, green, orange or red base. Once again, I woud be carefule with the ever readys, as they made a lot of two colored handles with both a plastic top and base like the infamous ever ready 100 with the red base with white top. both halves of this brush are plastic.

as an example,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Shaving...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2eab493104

I would venture to guess that the blue brush wont take a 22mm knot, but the black/white handle will, or has the potential too. Cant say with absolute certianty, but if I were a betting man (love them ponies), I would bet the black/white handle will work. And BTW this listing was grabbed at random.

Good luck and if you want my opinion on your handles or any lisings, shoot me a pm and I will give you my 2 cents.

Last edited:
from my limited experience with the ever-ready models I have, a 100, 200, 300, the knot sizes went from 20mm, 22mm, 24mm. So a 200 with a tiny bit of resizing, or a 300 should take on the knot. Although, you could drill out to a larger size depending on brush as mentioned above. I drilled out one ever-ready to take on a 26mm knot, it's a monster. I really need to get knots ordered to finish the 6 handles I have...

FYI... Today I drilled out a 300PBT from 16mm up to 20mm. I did it with a metric step bit to get a lip to get the 20mm forstner bit. Worked perfectly. If you want some more info let me know.

Top Bottom