What's new

Astra "Do Not Wipe"--??

I noticed the Astra Superior Platinum blades have "Do not wipe" printed on the wrapper. Anyone have any idea why? Will it remove the coating? Will it cause the blade to spontaneously combust?:blink:Just curious.....

It's to warn you from accidently cutting yourself, just like those warnings on mascara tubes that go like this... "Never apply mascara in a car, bus, plane or any other moving vehicle."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's to warn you from accidently cutting yourself, just like those warnings on mascara tubes that go like this... "Never apply mascara in a car, bus, plane or any other moving vehicle."

+1

Or the warnings on electric hair dryers that say "Do Not Use in the Shower"

+1

It's a cover your a** warning, so they don't get sued by really careless morons. :lol::lol:

Which may be good advice because I always read about guys wiping the glue off the blade because it annoys them.

They need to print that one larger and in a fluorescent color. Women aren't seeing it.

Warnings such as this one always remind me that some moron did not have the brains to avoid doing something obviously stupid in the first place!!

Laughing w/ the original poster because my Treets had this caveat & I was like "what the..." Clearly neither he nor I thought that deems an actual warning, BUT someone, I guess, decided to "wipe" the blades, thus drawing a lawsuit. Still laughing--but I don't know what's more funny: the actual idea or the fact that someone else posted this. That's what I'm finding out lately, esp here on B&B...lotta times I ain't the one one to think of things. Most times, I'd reckon.

Well, if I gash my paw while hand stropping, I will sue them for millions because there's no text on the blade or the packaging telling me not to do it.

It's not wiping, it's hand stropping...:001_tongu

It has nothing to do with the coating?

I could swear that I saw something about how wiping may rub off some of the coating resulting in more drag. I don't know if that's true or not, but I recall seeing it somewhere.

What do you guys think? If that's not true, I won't be so hesitant to gently dab the water off of my blades to dry them more quickly.

K.T.

S

siouxsie

This is what you guys answer? It's there because you can dull the blade if you brush the edge with the cloth. People used to wipe carbon blades dry or they would rust and oxidize, dulling the blade faster. With stainless, it's not necessary, hence the warning. Have you ever seen "Do not wipe blade" on a carbon blade? I haven't.

This is what you guys answer? It's there because you can dull the blade if you brush the edge with the cloth. People used to wipe carbon blades dry or they would rust and oxidize, dulling the blade faster. With stainless, it's not necessary, hence the warning. Have you ever seen "Do not wipe blade" on a carbon blade? I haven't.

Don't carbon blade have fine edges that can be damaged or dulled by wiping? As to why you haven't see them on carbon blades, probably because there aren't too many carbon blades made today and most blade manufacturing has been stainless for decades. Many stainless safety razor blades do not carry this type of warning either.

Yes, in times past, manufacturers placed such warnings on their blades because you could damage the fine edge, especially if you don't wipe down and perpendicular to the blade edge. These warnings were more explicit about why you shouldn't wipe your blade, which is to prevent this edge damage. No vernacular regarding preventing oxidation is used.

However, today's warnings have been deliberately made unclear, a hedge against litigious action for injury. Show me a written warning on a modern razor blade that indicates such wiping causes the blade to dull. Perhaps on some online documentation but there won't be any on modern packaging. The primary motivation for warnings is to discourage frivolous suits regarding any mishandling of their product, whether they care to admit it or not.

However, you are technically correct that origins of the warnings are to prevent edge damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom