What's new

Blended brushes

B

bluefoxicy

Anyone use a badger/boar mix brush? Where'd you get it? Any good?

Yes, I have an Omega #21047. Very nice brush, and it sees a lot of action in my rotation. I actually bought mine used off of the BST, but you can get them for about $20 from Shoebox Shaveshop. Gary also carries two mixed Vulfixes, the 404 and 2006, but I haven't tried either one so you'll have to ask someone else about those.

I got a Vulfix 404 mix from Diamond edge UK. I have not had it long but, it is a well made brush & lathers very well.

It works well with cream or soap. I recommend it!

+1 on the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor boar/badger a cheap and very effect brush, also got mine from Diamondedge.

B

bluefoxicy

Odd, wherever I look I see the Omega as a "Banded Boar" brush and the Vulfix as "Badger" ...

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422220.htm
http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/vulfix-404-grosvenor-mixed-badger-and-boar-shaving-br404.html

These are two different brushes? Or the marketing lies? Also the shoeboxshaveshop one is cheaper by a lot.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10326

Shaveden post seems to confirm that this is a "Boar" brush, but that they see badger hairs in there that the marketing is not admitting to.

Yes there is two different 404 brushes from Vulfix.

One is the 404B Badger and the other is just 404 which is Badger/Boar mixed.

Check out the link from Diamondedge and you will understand what i mean.

B

bluefoxicy

Yes there is two different 404 brushes from Vulfix.

One is the 404B Badger and the other is just 404 which is Badger/Boar mixed.

Check out the link from Diamondedge and you will understand what i mean.

Makes sense.

Hmm found one for $25, the cheapest I can find...

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/vu404grbobr.html

I already have a (repaired -- JBWeld is awesome) Tweezerman and a VdH boar (which softened up after laying in a puddle of its own soggy mess for 3 months and then being cleaned-- but it's still pretty stiff and really bad at lathering anything), and my credit card's pretty high again due to time shifting (I should be able to knock it down again in 2 weeks, and keep it down...), maybe I should wait.

Problem is I also want to buy more soaps, particularly Straight Razor Designs' bay rum and the whole sample kit (I want to try their Opus X too), along with this brush. About ... $50 of stuff total. So I should queue this.

Have you got a quote for the 404 from Diamondedge..?? the brush itself is only 9 pounds... Which is a steal!!

B

bluefoxicy

Have you got a quote for the 404 from Diamondedge..?? the brush itself is only 9 pounds... Which is a steal!!

9 pounds is like 12 USD, but then I'm in the US and it's like 10 pounds more for shipping anyway.

Fair enough i got it to Aus for bugger all... so i figured you could get it for about the same.. Nevermind :) It is a great brush wherever you purchase it from.

B

bluefoxicy

Fair enough i got it to Aus for bugger all... so i figured you could get it for about the same.. Nevermind :) It is a great brush wherever you purchase it from.

Hmm, air fare may be cheaper than expected then. Last time, I got charged about 10 bucks. I don't think they can precalculate though... can they?

Hmm, air fare may be cheaper than expected then. Last time, I got charged about 10 bucks. I don't think they can precalculate though... can they?

You email them for a cost on shipping and you add it into the total cost at the end. Worked out really good for me. No harm in trying it :)

B

bluefoxicy

You email them for a cost on shipping and you add it into the total cost at the end. Worked out really good for me. No harm in trying it :)

Nods. I tried going through their check-out and the last step is a Java applet. That doesn't work. I got a black box.

Apparently, no such luck there, unless I want to e-mail my credit card number in plain text (or use a Java Applet to submit data across a supposedly secure channel I can't personally verify is encrypted). Or could do invoice or fax the details, though the phone system is even less secure (practically? a non-issue) and there's humans in the line (as opposed to computer automated processes where the numbers disappear from sight).

Hmm I'm supposed to be testing an application that ... *migrates this to another platform*. This is actually relevant to my job.

I had to use internet explorer to get the java applet to load :/ If its a pain i would just purchase elsewhere. But a few of us have bought from diamondedge with no quarms at all. :001_smile

Top Bottom