What's new

We all Watched Joel's Video today...

OK...so I watched Joel use a straight razor this morning and I got the bug. I read his entire "how to" guide for str8s.

Based on the guide, I think I want a Dovo 1/2 hollowed 5/8 stainless. But I don't want to break the bank (I want to pay less than $50). Does anyone think this razor exists?

I would be willing to bet I am not the only one looking after watching his vid...

Joel...I think you have inspired us all!

OK...so I watched Joel use a straight razor this morning and I got the bug. I read his entire "how to" guide for str8s.

Based on the guide, I think I want a Dovo 1/2 hollowed 5/8 stainless. But I don't want to break the bank (I want to pay less than $50). Does anyone think this razor exists?

Joel...I think you have inspired us all!

I don't think you can buy stainless for $50. Unless used, perhaps. BST is proably your best bet for straights under $50.

Check here: http://ruprazor.com/store/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=6&Itemid=32

A bunch are under $50. And those prices include shipping.

They don't quite match your criteria, but maybe you could relax your requirements somewhat:
  • No stainless there, but I think limiting yourself to stainless is very constraining. Most razors are carbon steel and most everyone is OK with that. I think there is a theory that carbon can take a finer edge anyway.
  • All listed there seem top be full hollow (not half hollow) but that again is what most razors tend to be.

How about start with a "shavette" to not break the band? Parker brand has 4 different straights that take half-blades of the DE razors you own now. They are under $20 on amazon, and if you don't like the shave, you haven't really spent a ton of money.

I've been shaving with one for a month now, I'm about ready to save up for a Dovo 5/8 (thinking either a special tortise or astrale)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Where is this amazing video? Can someone please post a link?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134375

How about start with a "shavette" to not break the band? Parker brand has 4 different straights that take half-blades of the DE razors you own now. They are under $20 on amazon, and if you don't like the shave, you haven't really spent a ton of money.

I've been shaving with one for a month now, I'm about ready to save up for a Dovo 5/8 (thinking either a special tortise or astrale)

A shavette is one thing and a straight is another. It will give you an idea yes. But, you can find a cheap straight on BST and a strop for a bit more. If you don't like it, you can sell it easy.

Joels video also has me considering trying a str8. Some of the razors look absolutely stunning but I have to admit that the thought of shaving with one is quite intimidating.

Pete

A shavette is one thing and a straight is another. It will give you an idea yes. But, you can find a cheap straight on BST and a strop for a bit more. If you don't like it, you can sell it easy.

Word. Mantic is learning on that $60 ruprazor straight and strop combo posted above. He suggested that to me. He says a video is up in about a year. Until then, this one has really helped understand the motions.

Luc

Staff member
Joels video also has me considering trying a str8. Some of the razors look absolutely stunning but I have to admit that the thought of shaving with one is quite intimidating.

Pete

Try it Pete, you just need to pay attention and make sure you don't do a 'chopping bread motion'...

Word. Mantic is learning on that $60 ruprazor straight and strop combo posted above. He suggested that to me. He says a video is up in about a year. Until then, this one has really helped understand the motions.

Yes, the Ruprazor kit is apprently very good and will get you started!

I'm seriously considering making the leap. What would you reccomend as a starter str8?

Pete

Buy a shave-ready straight from an experienced B&B member on the B/S/T. Great deals. Just be patient (as in 1-2 days patient) and read the guide on this site. You don't need a hone to start out but you can buy a filly strop on the cheaps. Strop & str8 is all you need to get started.

Buy a shave-ready straight from an experienced B&B member on the B/S/T. Great deals. Just be patient (as in 1-2 days patient) and read the guide on this site. You don't need a hone to start out but you can buy a filly strop on the cheaps. Strop & str8 is all you need to get started.

Cool! Thanks for the advice.

Pete

No problem. The vintage straights are have the irresistible "cool" and "history" factor. You'll find a list of reputable brands in the interactive guide to straight razor shaving, but one rule of thumb is that if the blade was made in Solingen (Germany), it will give a great shave.

Luc

Staff member
I'm seriously considering making the leap. What would you reccomend as a starter str8?

Pete

What was mentionned above.

Shave ready straight on BST. You will need a strop too.

The Ruprazor deal is a good one too...

If you go down with the BST deal. Look for something like Extra Hollow, Full Hollow, half hollow. A wedge is good but I would wait on those, I find the hollow family easier to work with.

I have a preference for a round point but nothing should stop you from getting a square point if you like the look.

For the size, I would say, start with a 5/8, 11/16 or 6/8!

What was mentionned above.

Shave ready straight on BST. You will need a strop too.

The Ruprazor deal is a good one too...

If you go down with the BST deal. Look for something like Extra Hollow, Full Hollow, half hollow. A wedge is good but I would wait on those, I find the hollow family easier to work with.

I have a preference for a round point but nothing should stop you from getting a square point if you like the look.

For the size, I would say, start with a 5/8, 11/16 or 6/8!

Thanks for the advice Luc, it is appreciated. I feel a new obsession coming on:001_tongu

Pete

thanks for the advice everyone! I suppose I should look more at the "beginner" style razors...just to make sure I will like the experience.

You are right, the RupRazor is a fantastic deal. I will probably go with it. I just don't want to rush my decision. (I also have a Merkur Progress on the way...still in the mail - so I may need to slow down with the ADs a bit:lol:)

I notice some of you say I don't need a hone at first. How often should you hone a razor? Is this something I will need two weeks later or more like 2 months later??

Buy a shave-ready straight from an experienced B&B member on the B/S/T. Great deals.

I did this and picked a German vintage blade from a BST seller with good honing feedback. Didn't work for me - the razor may have been shave ready for the seller's face, but not my beginners.

Had to send for a rehone, but gave up on it and now ordered a Dovo Special - then I won't be able to blame the razor for my shortcomings. I appreciate the prices and the vintage thing, but as beginners, I think some people should consider a known quantity.

There's great deals on BST, but wildly variable quality.

I started straight shaving with a Feather AC RG. Its always super sharp, and getting a new edge is as easy as changing a blade.

You use it like any straight so there's a bit of a learning curve, but I really like the razor. At this point I have no intention of getting a regular straight. In fact I'm waiting on the Feather AC DX to arrive. This is a really nice straight, and is worth looking into. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom