What's new

Merkur on the way, get a Tech too?

I am amassing my shave den. I already have a new Merkur 178 (34C HD) on the way to start my DE training. And yet I still have this awful urge to pick up a Gillette Tech. They just look so mild and the head looks like it will be easy to maneuver with in tight spaces (under nose)... RAD without ever trying DE shaving?? Maybe...

I keep hearing everyone finding great deals, but every good condition ball tip Tech I've bid on (on the bay) has went for like 20 dollars or more!

I tried a local antique shop - all he had was a few dusty/nasty looking brushes, a cracked shave mug looking thing and a rusty (or just tarnished) straight in a thin black box... I could not even read the brand because shopkeep was the nervous type and asked me to put it away because it made him "nervous"

So what are your opinions? Should I just wait and try the Merkur first and decide afterwards or keep my eye out for a nice cond. Tech?

They just look so mild and the head looks like it will be easy to maneuver with in tight spaces (under nose)

That's why I keep mine handy and loaded at all times.

... RAD without ever trying DE shaving?? Maybe...?

You've come to the right place :lol:

You can't really go wrong with a Tech (of any variety) they're great razors.
Check out the BST you'll see them frequently.

Yes, you won't be happy until you get a gillette, even to just try it out, you will always wonder what it would be like.

I ended up PIFing it away later, but my time with a Tech taught me some invaluable lessons about handling a razor on my face that I've successfully applied to every other razor I've used since. I wasn't getting the 'no pressure' thing until my first Tech shave - it's so light and mild that I immediately understood exactly how light a touch is needed for a good shave.

started with a 38C, moved to a 34C HD like you are awaiting, and i just very recently picked up a tech. believe me, go with the tech. plus they are dirt cheap, i got mine for 12.50 on this board. one thing i noticed though is that the merkur lets you get away with a much shallower angle. the gillette requires a wider angle, but it is undoubtedly more mild. as i have a problem with ingrowns, the milder shave a tech provides is what ive been looking for for a LONG time. i highly recommend it. throw a real sharp blade in that bad boy and you're good to go.

. . . I keep hearing everyone finding great deals, but every good condition ball tip Tech I've bid on (on the bay) has went for like 20 dollars or more!. . .So what are your opinions? Should I just wait and try the Merkur first and decide afterwards or keep my eye out for a nice cond. Tech?

No need to be in a hurry. The Tech is a nice pick for a vintage razor, but remember that there are a lot of these out there; if you're outbid on one, there will probably be more along in a while. Try holding your bid until the final seconds, using a sniping service like Gixen if you need to. Bidding wars just drive the price up.

If you're buying on eBay you can sometimes get a better deal by buying a bunch of razors being sold as a lot, or you may get stuck with more junk that way.

You can also probably find one on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here. If the For Sale ones there are always getting snapped up before you have a chance, try putting a Want To Buy notice up instead.

darn it, I got the RAD, didn't I?

it's ok though... I can always sell the extra razors off, right?

i just happened to snatch this up on a whim. the auction literally just sprung up and i figured its cute for 9.94...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gillette-Safety...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9ed591e9

it's a travel tech, unused. the handle is obviously too short, but is the head the same size? if i threw on a longer handle would that work?

at worst, i got myself a cute little guy for under 10 bucks... did i jump the gun?

Well, if you're going to curb your RAD, the early stages would be the best time to do it. :wink2:

However, yes, the head is a regular size which will work on a regular length handle, as I have verified for myself. Also, it's not as hard as you might think to shave with that little travel handle. I've done it, and it works, although it wouldn't be my first choice. The main problem I had was that it was harder to hang on to while wet.

I'm kind of a germophobe (read: in medical school) so I'm thinking of getting another tech and using this unused shave head on the regular sized handle (frankentech?)... I know the whole barbicide/scrubbing bubbles disinfecting thing, but for some reason I am still having trouble coming to terms with shaving with a razor that has most certainly drawn blood from someone for many years...

i know it's nutty

I am amassing my shave den. I already have a new Merkur 178 (34C HD) on the way to start my DE training. And yet I still have this awful urge to pick up a Gillette Tech.
You definitely need a Tech and a 40's SuperSpeed. I now have 13 razors, but my most used are a Merkur 34, SuperSpeed and Tech.

I know the whole barbicide/scrubbing bubbles disinfecting thing, but for some reason I am still having trouble coming to terms with shaving with a razor that has most certainly drawn blood from someone for many years...
The cure for that kind of thinking is MORE razors. I doubt any living organism can survive a 10 minute Scrubbing Bubbles bath. I can't even stay in the same room while they're soaking. 2 SB baths, toothbrush scrubs, a 10 minute alcohol or barbicide soak, then some polish. Once it's shined up you don't think about it. 23,000+ B&B members can't be wrong.

I ended up PIFing it away later, but my time with a Tech taught me some invaluable lessons about handling a razor on my face that I've successfully applied to every other razor I've used since. I wasn't getting the 'no pressure' thing until my first Tech shave - it's so light and mild that I immediately understood exactly how light a touch is needed for a good shave.

I think I'm having the same enlightenment lately (only 2 shaves) with a '71 black handle Superspeed; is so light, at least comparing with Futur, Red Tip and Muhle R89, and I'm getting some nice shavings with no irritation.

Get a ball end tech if you can. Even if you find it too mild for you main night/morning shave later on, it's great for a quick evening touch up before you go out.
Very maneuverable as you guessed. I just prefer the ball end, and I hate the fat handled ones for some reason, I'm pretty sure the ball end handle while narrow is heavier than the fat handle, maybe that's why.

It can be a bit tricky to get a close shave with one in only a few passes, but the trick is learning it's angle, and using a very sharp blade. So if you don't like it straight away, keep at it, it took a while for me, as I prefered open combs, SE and more agressive razors at first.
If you are unuicky not to get a good one for $10, maybe buy a feather portable from pauldog for a small maneuverable solid safety bar razor.

Top Bottom