What's new

Face wash or bar soap?

I've always wondered this as well..So this thread is very helpful. I myself use face wash and it doesn't seem to help much so maybe I'll give bar soap a try.

As a general rule, members on this board use some of the best skin care/face care products available on a daily basis. That being said, I don't see why you can't, or shouldn't, use your shave soap and brush to wash your face.

When you think about it, a facial scrub does exactly the same thing your shave brush and shave soap would do. And it likely doesn't contain the quality ingredients your shave soap includes. Since you have your brush and soap readily available in the morning, I don't see why you shouldn't just wash your face with either your left over lather from your shave, or just lather up your whole face to wash it.

So far, I haven't had any issues with my face being unclean using my shave soap or creams to clean my whole face. But I only wash my face twice a day; in the morning I use my left over shave lather and shave brush, and before I go to sleep I use my home brew face cleanser/moisturizer of mayonnaise/butter/lemon juice/coffee grounds and my hands.

Last edited:
The only soap I let touch my face is this:
proxy.php

If i can't get black soap then I alternate:

non-shaving days:
proxy.php

shaving days (more like nights):

proxy.php

The fancy face washes work very well. My wife sells Mary Kay and they have an excellent facial bar soap for men that I love using. I am not always particular though, I have got some wonderful results from just using Irish Spring or my wife's dove bar soap.

There is so much conflicting information out there about skin care these days. Some sites tell you that you should be using the face wash/toner/moisturizer routine while others are stating it's all BS and a decent bar of soap is all you need. I'm at a loss, pretty much as to what to do. Over the years I've gone back and forth between the two, spending too much money and not getting very good results from either. I've used face washes from drugstore to very high end... bar soaps from organic to tallowate.. and everything in between.

Right now, I'm just using a bar of Ivory Soap, which now has different ingredients and is less drying than it used to be.. some jojoba oil.. and sunblock, of course.

I'd love to hear some product/regimen recommendations and thoughts.

Thanks!

I use the Dr. Bronner's soaps. In particular the Tea Tree/ hemp soap in the orange wrapper. After having a hot cloth on my face for a while, I lather up with the Dr. Bronner's soap and apply the hot cloth again. Then wet my face and apply the Tabac, with a couple of drops of KMF unscented mixed into the lather, for my shaves. I switch this up with Burt's Bee's bay rum, with a couple of drops of KMF unscented into the later, for the shave lather usually on a daily basis.

I have found that the Dr. Bronner's soaps have really helped before my shaves. It is also a Castle soap like Kirks, but if you find it on sale or clearance, the price can't be beat. Cheers.

Well, you really can't lump all bar soap into one category. There is a huge difference, and many aren't even soap, but detergents. I would never use Irish SPring on my face, but a nice french soap is very good for your skin.

+1. I use the same high quality soaps that I use in the shower, then moisturize with a little pure shea butter before bed. Only exception to this routine is non-shave days when I'll use some exfoliating face scrub in the shower.

I just use this...

proxy.php

+4

Been using this for decades. Great lather. No residue. Non-drying. Very mild almost unobtrusive scent.

Ironically I just ordered a case of 48 as soapsgonebuy dot com has them on sale ending today. $0.99 per bar or $47.52 per case of 48. That's cheaper than even ordering direct from Kirksnatural dot com :001_tt1: Normal caveats here.... no connection ad nauseum.

Last edited:
I swear by Zihr's CLEAN. Have used in since its introduction in the md-90s.
Dermalogica also makes a very good daily cleanser.

I have dry skin, and Nivea Sensitive (white tube) and Cetaphil face washes have been the best cleansing products for my face.

But since last summer, I've using water only; my skin has never been better

I use the same soaps that I use in the shower on my face, but they are also all-natural honest to goodness soaps (Frost Fish Cove Soaps) and follow it with a baking soda + water scrub. Haven't had a problem, but then since I don't shave my face, my skin may be different.

I use MenScience face wash once a day before bed. I have normal-oily skin so I need something that will keep my pores clean.

I'm lucky enough to be able to wash my face with pretty much anything and get away with it (except for those weird cheap hotel soaps that are overly scented - I think I'm allergic to the oils in them). My wife, OTOH, is very sensitive and will break out all over if she uses the wrong product on her face

Top Bottom