What's new

Slurry Stone

Is it advisable to have a slurry stone when using a Chinese 12k hone?
If so, where do you get them? I've been doing internet searches but have really only found coticules.

Using a slurry stone helps speed up the honing process on some natural stones, and should help with the C12K. It can also help get a more consistent edge sometimes, though it's always a good idea to dilute the slurry down to water during the process of honing and finish off polishing with just water.

There's a guy on Straight Razor Place who sells C12K slurry stones for $10.

Open_Razor sells them on eBay for like $2, but he's in Poland, so shipping is like $6.

I noticed that add from him on the bay, but it stated that it was 8k grit and wasn't sure if that would work on a 12k stone.

Using a slurry stone helps speed up the honing process on some natural stones, and should help with the C12K. It can also help get a more consistent edge sometimes, though it's always a good idea to dilute the slurry down to water during the process of honing and finish off polishing with just water.

There's a guy on Straight Razor Place who sells C12K slurry stones for $10.

Yeah.....I contacted him as well, but haven't heard anything back yet. Also, I wasn't sure if he had any left since the post date is July 31, 2009.

The SRP guy has been having medical issues, and that may explain why he hasn't got back to you. Shoot him another email if it's been more than a week.

The 8x2" stones are only $20 at woodcraft anyway. If you have a way to cut them, you could recoup your money for one of those pretty easily.

I have no idea if it would work, to be honest. Power tools are not my thing. I'm sure there are guys on here who would know the answer, though.

Incidentally, if you have a DMT hone you can raise a slurry on the C12K using that. I've even heard of people using the DMT cards to raise slurries. They're about $15 at Woodcraft - get the coarse one.

Last edited:
B

bluefoxicy

Do you think an angle grinder with a diamond wheel would do the job?

You'd have to be able to use it wet. These are natural stone so definitely wet. That might work though, I believe that's how granite tile is cut.

Oh damn he only carries the Muellers now. He used to actually sell China stone slurries. You may want to message him and see if he has some just not listed.

I'd offer you mine, but I plan to sell the stone itself one of these days (never use it) so need to include it when I do.

Do you think an angle grinder with a diamond wheel would do the job?

About two weeks ago, I decided that I would like my 8" x 3" Norton 4K/8K and 6" x 3" Awaseto Honyama a lot better if they were narrower. I started calling marble installers to see if someone would cut them in half for me. The first place said, "no" and gave me the name of a place about 30 miles away. The second place said "maybe" with a minimum set-up fee starting at $150.00 and the third place, near where I live, said "sure, come on over" and did it for nothing.

Top Bottom