What's new

How to tell if a blade is dull?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is posted anywhere else, if so please direct me to it, but how can someone tell if a blade is dull - aside from shaving with it? Are there any physical signs to look for?

Thanks,

-ice

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't know if there are any other methods than shaving with it...

I'm pretty sure you have to go ahead and use it. Blades may sometimes differ but for myself to ensure a sharp enough blade I toss it after 4 shaves.

Rather than trying to get the max number of shaves out of a blade, I would just pitch it after 2-3 shaves. Blades are cheap, and I never use them more than twice.

The best way to tell if a razor blade has outlived it usefulness is when it begins to pull or drag when you are using it. Don,t worry too much about this, you will know when that time comes.

I don't think you can tell by just looking at it, just using it will tell you for sure. I don't even wait for a bad shave to tell me. I only use a blade, any blade, for 4 shaves. Then into the can it goes. :001_tongu

At first 'feel' of dragging blade goes to trash...I think there is no way of telling if it is dull just looking at it...

Every blade will give you a bit different "life"....some will be shot in two shaves and some may go five shaves. You can tell immediately when a blade has lost it's sharp...it drags and pulls.

B

bluefoxicy

Shave your wife's legs with it. If she's pleased, toss it; too dull. If she complains it feels like it's not shaving her, at all, the blade is sufficiently sharp. :lol:

If you don't have a wife, stop by the local college and request to speak with a teenager, preferably a cheerleader as they need smooth legs for their extracurricular activities. :001_rolle

Aside from using it I don't know of any great way (perhaps other than the obvious such as damage to the edge and/or rust).

Rather than trying to get the max number of shaves out of a blade, I would just pitch it after 2-3 shaves.
Agree. 3 max (2 for Derbys). The idea is to toss it before it gets dull and causes irritation or draws blood. If you require more touching up than the last shave, consider the blade dull.

Top Bottom