What's new

Rash or tiny pimples

I have been shaving with a double edge razor (Merkur HD 34c) for some four or five months. I switched from Gillette Turbo III and I have been quite happy with my experience so far. It's far better than the Gillette experience. I have however still some problems with my shaving. I still get razor burns in front of my chin and develop tiny pimples around one side of my lips, on my chin, and around the lower part of my neck. These tiny pimples are white (with tiny infections inside). I wonder what is it that I can do in order to improve my shaving experience.

Many will say that dunking your razor in 70-90% rubbing alcohol will cure that. I don't do that, but I know I should. What stopped that for me was to stop trying for the BBS shave. Once I stopped that, the weepers stopped as did razor burn. Also, applying an alcohol based aftershave should help (or an alum block).

Many will say that dunking your razor in 70-90% rubbing alcohol will cure that. I don't do that, but I know I should. What stopped that for me was to stop trying for the BBS shave. Once I stopped that, the weepers stopped as did razor burn. Also, applying an alcohol based aftershave should help (or an alum block).

Many thanks for this informative reply. What does BBS stand for? I am also contemplating to try an electric shaver. What do you guys think of that?

Over the past several months I have improved my techniques. I now know what I am doing in terms of shaving with a DE razor. I also use Derby blades so I don't think the problem is really my not knowing how to shave properly.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

I see you now have what BBS stands for. I think the BBS is rather rare, and I know if I really try for it I'll end up with irritation and razor burn. I'll settle for the CCS, and the DFS if it comes along. :thumbup1:

I have been shaving with a double edge razor (Merkur HD 34c) for some four or five months. I switched from Gillette Turbo III and I have been quite happy with my experience so far. It's far better than the Gillette experience. I have however still some problems with my shaving. I still get razor burns in front of my chin and develop tiny pimples around one side of my lips, on my chin, and around the lower part of my neck. These tiny pimples are white (with tiny infections inside). I wonder what is it that I can do in order to improve my shaving experience.

The razor burn, and possibly the pimples, are probably from too much pressure, too much shaving against the grain instead of with the grain, or too much shaving of the same area per session. DE shaving exposes the skin to a lot of nasties that are otherwise not a problem.

If the tiny pimples do not clear up within a week, then you should see your family doctor or a dermatologist. You may have a staph or other bacterial infection. I had that happen to me back in the mid-70's. My symptoms were just like yours. I tried using alcohol to clear them up but that kills staph bacteria only on the top layer of skin, not under it. It took a strong systemic anti-biotic and weeks of shaving with an electric razor (head soaked in alcohol) to clear it up.

I am now very careful to soak my razor blades and the head of my DE razor in alcohol before and after use. I am also careful not to use any pressure when shaving and don't "over shave" any particular area. I also try to keep my hands away from my face. Resting your chin or cheeks on your hand is just asking for trouble.

Hope this helps.

Some thoughts from another new guy:

1) I clean my razor thoroughly weekly with Scrubbing Bubbles which disinfects the razor. I thoroughly rinse with hot water after every use. I only use the blades twice.

2) I use witch hazel after every shave, which is supposed to be a natural disinfectant. That should help with the infections on your face.

Good luck!

Top Bottom