What's new

Whats my prob?

I use Col. Conk bay rum soap...lathered correctly(positive on this), I prep till the cows come home(SUPER hot shower directly on face for a few minutes then rub in conditioner and leave moist after getting out of shower) I'm using a Gillette SS w/ Derby blades but even after 3 or 4 passes I still have rough spots and in some places stubble, weepers, mild razor burn, etc.

Could it be that derby's arent enough? Whats next?:001_huh:

I use Col. Conk bay rum soap...lathered correctly(positive on this), I prep till the cows come home(SUPER hot shower directly on face for a few minutes then rub in conditioner and leave moist after getting out of shower) I'm using a Gillette SS w/ Derby blades but even after 3 or 4 passes I still have rough spots and in some places stubble, weepers, mild razor burn, etc.

While it could be a blade issue (you have bought a sample pack correct? If not order one right away!), the more than likely issue is that you are using too much pressure, and your angle is off: both of which will lead to razor burn. The angle being off scrapes your skin away, rather than actually cutting hair.

Sounds like a technique problem. Combination of incorrect blade angle and too much pressure. If you absolutely positive that your technique is correct, then it might be the razor. Vintage SS, IMO, are very mild razors. You may need a more aggressive razor for better shave.

I am relatively new to this myself. But, a couple of thoughts:

1) I stopped with the four pass shave. It doesn't seem like skipping one of my XTG strokes would make much of a difference, but OH MAN...my face feels worlds better. There was another post within the last couple of days on how many passes folks use, and the majority of folks go with three.

2) Until you get used to a razor that doesn't pivot, you need to ensure you keep the blade angle just right such that a) the blade is in contact with your face, and b) it isn't too steep such that you cut yourself.

3) I found quickly that if I hold the razor closer to the head I get a better shave. Conventional wisdom seems to be that for a new person, they should hold it at the end. I found that while that ensured I wasn't putting too much pressure, it allowed the razor to "skip" on my face as it hit imperfections, etc. This caused irritation and blood. I started holding it at the head when I reviewed a post in which somebody included and old "how to" pictorial from Gillette in which the guy was holding the razor very close to head. I find that I get a very controlled, steady, and consistent stroke. However, you HAVE to focus on not putting pressure.

Anyway...I hope this helps from one beginner to another! :biggrin1:

Early on it can be a little of everything! Your soap and blades should not be a problem. Some folks may prefer other brands but they are good enough they would not cause your troubles. And, the same for the SS.

So, here are my guesses based on my experience - I'm no authority!

Stubble; you didn't say where but stubble in spots sounds like an angle/direction thing and you need to experiment with each as you do these spots.

Weepers and razor burn; it can be your skin needs an adjustment period but for me both of these were related to two things, too much pressure and lather problems. "Light pressure" I'd read about here was much lighter than I thought and took awhile to get right. Lather can be a couple of things. Mine "looked" good but was too dry. It must be moist to wet (but not watery) and it's right when it's thickness covers easily and it feels slick - really slick. Also, I would cheat and re-stroke areas without re-lathering. Make sure don't go over an area without re-lathering, and, sprinkle a little water into your lather from occasionally to make sure your lather stays moist/wet throughout your shave.

Remember, slow, short and light stokes and know your beard growth direction. Hope this helps!

... even after 3 or 4 passes I still have rough spots and in some places stubble, weepers, mild razor burn, etc.
Could it be that derby's arent enough?

I think I'm in a similar boat to you and I also use Derby (Extras).

I can get the cheeks and side of my neck smooth as I want, but I'm really struggling under the chin. No razor burn, just not close. From what I'm reading it's just lack of technique as I don't seem able to get the area flat enough for a consistent shave.

Guess I'm going to have to go back to the basics and work on that angle... :blushing:

I prep till the cows come home

In KC you're supposed to wait until the BBQ is ready :wink:

I think others have pointed technique correctly (check out the master Mantic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI), make sure you don't press the razor into your skin and as said, the angle is correct.

Another point is the soap. It's the same soap I'm using and the first time I used it, I got 4 nicks using a DE. I think this soap is fine but it offers less protection than Cade, my previous soap. I experimented with spreading hair oil on the beard before lathering and it helped giving more protection so pre-shave oil should help.

Early on it can be a little of everything! Your soap and blades should not be a problem. Some folks may prefer other brands but they are good enough they would not cause your troubles. And, the same for the SS.

So, here are my guesses based on my experience - I'm no authority!

Stubble; you didn't say where but stubble in spots sounds like an angle/direction thing and you need to experiment with each as you do these spots.

Weepers and razor burn; it can be your skin needs an adjustment period but for me both of these were related to two things, too much pressure and lather problems. "Light pressure" I'd read about here was much lighter than I thought and took awhile to get right. Lather can be a couple of things. Mine "looked" good but was too dry. It must be moist to wet (but not watery) and it's right when it's thickness covers easily and it feels slick - really slick. Also, I would cheat and re-stroke areas without re-lathering. Make sure don't go over an area without re-lathering, and, sprinkle a little water into your lather from occasionally to make sure your lather stays moist/wet throughout your shave.

Remember, slow, short and light stokes and know your beard growth direction. Hope this helps!

For my two cents worth . . . I couldn't agree more!!

While some may recommend certain pre-shave oils, or soaps, or creams, or combinations thereof . . . and others swear by (or at) certain blades . . . these nuances only serve to IMPROVE an already accomplished shave.

After 30 years of cartridge shaving, I had a lot of bad habits to "unlearn" when I returned to a DE razor. The basic steps of sturdy wet lather, no pressure, proper angle, and don't hurry will give you an outstanding shave regardless of exact oil, soap, cream, or blade.

At this point you have gained confidence, probably aren't allowing yourself the proper time, and may be pushing the razor a bit trying to get a better shave. Remember, less is more!!

Go back to basics, give yourself time and space to master the art. You will see a difference!!

I also started with a SS and Derbys. The first couple of weeks I had the same issues you did. I made the mistake of switching razors, blades, soaps, etc which just prolonged the learning period. I eventually started over with the SS and rewatched the mantic videos. Close shaves will come with practice and better technique. If you want to switch something, make one small change at a time. Try Red IP blades. I find them forgiving like the Derbys, but they do give a better shave.

If your prep is spot on I'd surmise that pressure and/or angle are the culprits. Remember very little pressure is needed and angle is critical. Take your time and practice, practice, practice.

Top Bottom