What's new

"Good" Williams - Sodium Tallowate first?

I'd sure like to know what the timeline is!

Does your tallow first Williams box have White Plains, NY, as the manufacturer's address? Williams moved to White Plains in late October, 2002, when Combe took it over.

In addition, after doing a little research, I found out that Combe invested heavily in upgrading their manufacturing facilities with emphasis on their fragrance and personal care lines starting in late 2002. They weren't fully completed until 2004. So it's possible that Williams wasn't re-formulated until 2004 or later. Unfortunately I can't yet find the inception date for the Potassium Stearate first UPC.

Edit: On further research, the newer UPC code with the "0" prefix digit had to be implemented prior to Jan.1, 2005 to conform to new bar-coding standards. Of course Wiiliams could have been re-formulated prior to the new bar code or even after since the UPC is only for the product name and not specific to formulation. I think what we can safely assume is that Combe Inc. is responsible for screwing up the formula sometime after October of 2002. :angry:

As an aside, I just found out that Brylcreem is a Williams product which I didn't know since the last time I used it I was 9 years old.

- Peter

Last edited:
My old Williams box has a UPC of 5310023033 and it says distributed by Beecham products. It lists sodium tallowate first.

Interesting posts. I dont use Williams anymore as a product like Arko or Palmolive that are a couple of $ more for a far superior lather & scent.

My old Williams box has a UPC of 5310023033 and it says distributed by Beecham products. It lists sodium tallowate first.

The 23033 part of your UPC code is the unique number for the Williams product and that's consistent with every UPC code on a Williams box. The 53100 part of the UPC code is the manufacturer's unique ID number and belonged to Smith Kline who had merged with Beecham. The timeline indicates that your product would be dated between 1989 - 2000.

- Peter

The 23033 part of your UPC code is the unique number for the Williams product and that's consistent with every UPC code on a Williams box. The 53100 part of the UPC code is the manufacturer's unique ID number and belonged to Smith Kline who had merged with Beecham. The timeline indicates that your product would be dated between 1989 - 2000.

- Peter

Thanks Peter! It is a tallow bomb and much better at lathering than my modern Williams. Appreciate the information!:001_smile

Hiya,

I've got a couple old NIB Williams pucks. One's got a UPC code 2217023033 if that means anything. The other one though........that one is OLD.

No UPC on the box, no list of ingredients, nada. I'll put a couple pics up to view of the older stuff.

No idea if this will help or confuse, but the more info the better.

Martin

Here's another side of the box that I'm not able to include in the original post. Sheesh.

Martin

If your Williams with the UPC code has a manufacturer's address of White Plains, NY, then it was one of Combe's products made between 2002 - 2004.
If it has Cranford, New Jersey as the address, then you've filled in a gap in the timeline.

The no UPC Williams could have been made between 1960 - 1979. It's good stuff.

- Peter

It appears that the UPC codes we have so far yield the following information:
1978? - 1982 UPC code unknown. Old tallow first formulation.
1982 - 1989 UPC code unknown. Tallow first.
1989 - 2000 UPC code 5310023033. Tallow first (excellent soap as per ctakim and thanks).
2000 - 2002 UPC code 2217023033. Formulation would probably have stayed the same. (Thanks to Martin for the info).
2002 - 2004? UPC code 322170230330. Tallow first. Probably a similar formulation to the previous.
2004 - Present UPC code 011509230331. This is probably the period the formulation changed to the workout product we know today.

- Peter

Last edited:
If your Williams with the UPC code has a manufacturer's address of White Plains, NY, then it was one of Combe's products made between 2002 - 2004.
If it has Cranford, New Jersey as the address, then you've filled in a gap in the timeline.

The no UPC Williams could have been made between 1960 - 1979. It's good stuff.

- Peter

Hi there,

Here's a few pics from the box with the UPC code. As you can see, the address is either ' 65 or 66 Harristown Rd. Glen Rock NJ.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Hi there,

Here's a few pics from the box with the UPC code. As you can see, the address is either ' 65 or 66 Harristown Rd. Glen Rock NJ.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Yes it does help. Your Williams is from 2000 - 2002 when GlaxoSmithKline was manufacturing it. Tallow would be the first ingredient.
Thanks!

- Peter

How frustrating, after reading this post I checked the 7 pucks of Williams I was given and they are all the new formulation. That guy should have stopped shaving YEARS earlier :lol::lol:

Top Bottom