What's new

Couple of tea questions

I've been doing a little reading and I came across a thread that mentioned drinking out of your gaiwan; however, I'm a little confused. Given the short steep times of some teas, either you would have to gulp it down or you're letting it steep for a couple of minutes.

...and of course, a few recommendations. I've never been a serious tea drinker; but there has not been a tea that I didn't really like. I enjoy greens, whites, oolongs, and black teas. I have a few samples ambrose hooked me up with (wuyi shui xian rock tea-zheng yan, and a wuyi ooling shui xian). I really enjoyed the "earthy" and floral/smokey flavor. I give them big thumbs up.

I've been doing a little reading and I came across a thread that mentioned drinking out of your gaiwan; however, I'm a little confused. Given the short steep times of some teas, either you would have to gulp it down or you're letting it steep for a couple of minutes.

A gaiwan can be used like a teapot. After a short seep the tea is poured into another cup.

A gaiwan can also be used to seep and drink. This would be more common with green tea leaves. Think of it as the 'long glass' method with a lid.

Just brewing in gaiwan - lots of leaf, short brewing times.
Brewing and drinking from gaiwan - little leaf, left steeping, top ups.

At least that's for me.

Some good info here

Gawain brew & drink-- I bought a couple of those screen-topped glasses; I think they're called flasks at Dragon Tea. They're wonderful at work. I use only abut 2.5g of leaf in it, and I top it up all day, leaving always about an inch and a half of liquor in the bottom. People seeing it ask, "What's THAT???" My response: "What, this? Well this is just some An Ji Bai Cha, and to my knowledge, it is still pretty much legal in most states." I saw newsreel footage of early Army intelligence officers drinking directly from little purple clay teapots in WWII. I do not really like strong, strong tea. I'm not much of a fan of Assam and other powerful concoctions. I wonder how folks are able to stand the heat and the strength of drinking directly from a zisha teapot. I use relatively cool water to brew lucha. If the gaiwan has very little leaf and is of sufficient size, it works. I prefer drinking directly from the screened flask--I end up with less leaf in my mouth.

I gave the gaiwan a shot this morning with the tea in it. It is left over from yesterday, and was on its 5th or 6th infusion; therefore, I figured it would benefit from being left in longer. Not bad, I think it was a good idea because the flavor was a little weaker (probably because it was about finished). I don't think I would do this with the first infusion (with the tea still in the gaiwan), but probably after the 4th.

I plan on placing a order with jas-etea for some more Wuyi Shui Xian Rock Tea-Zheng Yan, because its good stuff. I have a few others I'm thinking about:

Big Red Robe "Wu Yi Rock Tea" Fujian Oolong (sometimes known as Da Hong Pao)
2009 Wuyi Medium-Roasted Da Hong Pao Rock Tea - Ban Yan Srping Tea
Sampler set: Classic Menghai Raw Pu-erh Tea recipes

I see a lot of buzz about Pu-erh teas so I thought I would put it on the list. What do you think?

I gave the gaiwan a shot this morning with the tea in it. It is left over from yesterday, and was on its 5th or 6th infusion; therefore, I figured it would benefit from being left in longer. Not bad, I think it was a good idea because the flavor was a little weaker (probably because it was about finished). I don't think I would do this with the first infusion (with the tea still in the gaiwan), but probably after the 4th.

I plan on placing a order with jas-etea for some more Wuyi Shui Xian Rock Tea-Zheng Yan, because its good stuff. I have a few others I'm thinking about:

Big Red Robe "Wu Yi Rock Tea" Fujian Oolong (sometimes known as Da Hong Pao)
2009 Wuyi Medium-Roasted Da Hong Pao Rock Tea - Ban Yan Srping Tea
Sampler set: Classic Menghai Raw Pu-erh Tea recipes

I see a lot of buzz about Pu-erh teas so I thought I would put it on the list. What do you think?

Glad to see youre enjoying these teas I would add some jasmine pearls, Premium Dark Roasted Tie Guan Yin, Imperial Anxi Mao Xie. Also skip the sample on the da hong pao just add 2 100 grams in your basket call it a day. Yes its that good :wink2:

Just wait till you try some nice sheng pu and start to ask about yixings. Then you know its all over :tongue_sm Ouch called it when he saw me turn into a tea head :001_005:

I don't know man, I really like it the way it is. Maybe I'll give a little bit of sugar a shot though.

I'll be picking up some of the da hong pao you recommended, as well as a few other puerhs that Steve recommended :thumbup:

Top Bottom