What's new

Anyone else put cinnamon in their tomato sauces?

Just curious if anyone else puts cinnamon in their spaghetti sauce recipes. I find that many warm spices work very well with tomatoes!

If you haven't tried it, I challenge you to make some for a lunch or dinner tomorrow :)

I've cooked a few recipes that included it but not on a regular basis. What's your opinion about what it adds? Of course, sugar is commonly added to tomato sauces but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Not sure what it adds :p You gotta try it out, kinda hard to describe.

I also commonly add sugar to my tomato sauces only if its really acidic though. I hear salt also cuts out on acidity, but I don't know too much about that.

Not in a straight tomato sauce. I do use it along with allspice, clove, and cumin to add a slight Lebanese flavor to a stew. See, e.g. Lebanese Seven Spice Rub

I find that if I'm using canned tomatoes or something like 6-in-1 or Pomi that the salt isn't necessary. I don't like using strictly salt-free ones though...

Kind of depends on what your making. If your making Italian sauce to go over spaghetti, I don't think so. cinnamon, oregano, basil... blehhh

But if it's some east asian thing, then that's the ticket. tomatos, cinnamon, anise, shallots, garlic, tamarind, thai chilis, ...

For sweetness I've added grated carrots or plain sugar, but mostly some tomato paste. Seems pretty sweet, don't know if there is added sugar.

-jim

I think cinnamon helps bind earthy, bitter flavors to the brightness of other spices. I wouldn't use it alone, but only in combination with other spices, plus a nice selection of not-very-brightly flavored herbs, e.g. rosemary. Because it's bitter, it helps when eaten with sour things or cream, such as pickles and yogurt sauces. I wouldn't go with sugar or try this in anything remotely sweet, so I'm also careful about the choice of onions and stay away from carmelizing them because they get sweet.

Last edited:
I do the same thing Bill...I usually toss a bit of sugar in my sauce, but only if I need to balance out the acidity.

J.J., I know folks who always add sugar, no matter the ingredients or the taste. As you can imagine, this sometimes results in a rather sweet sauce. :tongue_sm

Just curious if anyone else puts cinnamon in their spaghetti sauce recipes. I find that many warm spices work very well with tomatoes!

If you haven't tried it, I challenge you to make some for a lunch or dinner tomorrow :)

-1....sorry, tried it, don't like it. but that is just this my humble opinion.

Sugar is unnecessary in tomato sauce. Just throw a whole carrot in the sauce while it is simmering and discard it when done. The carrot adds just the right amount of natural sweetness and absorbs all the acidity of the tomatoes.

Sugar is unnecessary in tomato sauce. Just throw a whole carrot in the sauce while it is simmering and discard it when done. The carrot adds just the right amount of natural sweetness and absorbs all the acidity of the tomatoes.

My bolognese recipe uses minced carrots but one time I incorrectly instructed my sous chef (my wife) on the amount and found out just how carrots can over-sweeten! But yes, carrots work wonderfully.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think cinnamon helps bind earthy, bitter flavors to the brightness of other spices. I wouldn't use it alone, but only in combination with other spices, plus a nice selection of not-very-brightly flavored herbs, e.g. rosemary. Because it's bitter, it helps when eaten with sour things or cream, such as pickles and yogurt sauces. I wouldn't go with sugar or try this in anything remotely sweet, so I'm also careful about the choice of onions and stay away from carmelizing them because they get sweet.

I put cloves in sometimes especially for a sauce I will use for pizza or lasagna.

I will toss a tiny amount in if it tastes too acidic. I usually add veggies, meat and whatnot to classico and don't find the need. I tried some nob hill sauce lately and felt it was very acidic so I used the cinnamon. It's easy to overdue the cinnamon IMO, any more than the tiniest amount and you can really taste the cinnamon in the sauce.

Try throwing in a few chopped anchovies! now that's something. They add a little salt plus a certain "meaty" flavor taht's hard to pinpoint but impactful.

I've had cinnamon in a tomato sauce it was OK but not my favorite

I add Oregano, Thyme and Fennel to my sauce, I also use some Italian Sweet and Hot Sausage in my sauce, 1 hot to 2 Sweet, and I always use Plum Tomatos.

Isn't cinnamon a key ingredient of what makes the tomato sauce of Cincinnati "chili"?

Since the Cincinnati thing is Greek, not Tex Mex, maybe a Greek pasta is what calls for the cinnamon

Roger

Top Bottom