What's new

Anyone else put cinnamon in their tomato sauces?

...but besides cutting the acid, what other effects does the soda have?

Boiling vegetables, mainly cabbage and other green leaves, adding a pinch of soda will prevent they turn yellow as chlorophyll disaggregates by heat.They will be greeneer on plate than without soda...It's a well-known trick here...

I also add a few drops of red food coloring to the sauce. It's an old restaurant trick to make the sauce more appetizing by enhancing eye appeal.

Try throwing in a few chopped anchovies! now that's something. They add a little salt plus a certain "meaty" flavor taht's hard to pinpoint but impactful.

We do that, too. The easy way (no chopping or cleaning a greasy chopping board) is to simply push the onions, etc. that you've sauteed to the sides of the pan, dump the oil from the anchovies in the center along with the anchovies themselves, then just keep tapping/pressing them with the edge of your wooden spoon until they "melt". Stir it all together and you're ready for the tomatoes.

As to acidity, I often add a bit of dry red wine or lemon juice as we like it balanced, not sweet.

I don't add cinnamon to spaghetti sauce, but I use a stick or two of cinnamon bark a lot in other tomato dishes. They do work nicely together, especially in braised beef and onions with some tomato paste, and a generous amount of diced feta at the end.

Just curious if anyone else puts cinnamon in their spaghetti sauce recipes. I find that many warm spices work very well with tomatoes!

If you haven't tried it, I challenge you to make some for a lunch or dinner tomorrow :)

I spent about an hour prepping my spaghetti sauce to put in crock to simmer tomorrow. I have a 7qt crock full of sauce. (Yes I am a pig from time to time but we will have people in and out all day) How much would you add? I am not a fan of spaghetti so I am always looking for recipe ideas.

I spent about an hour prepping my spaghetti sauce to put in crock to simmer tomorrow. I have a 7qt crock full of sauce. (Yes I am a pig from time to time but we will have people in and out all day) How much would you add? I am not a fan of spaghetti so I am always looking for recipe ideas.

No clue, perhaps it may be wise to take out a tiny bowl, and put in a dash of cinnamon just to see if you like it or not first!

I put cinnamon in tomato sauce, but beware, you can overdo it. A little goes a long way. Also try some other earthy spices like allspice, nutmeg or cumin.
Again I say beware, a little goes a long way and you don't want it to taste too much like chili.
if you want a little something different, try a little bittersweet chocolate.

A simple tomato sauce should be nothing more than garlic, olive oil, San Marzano tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and sugar. Simmer that for about an hour until it has a velvety consistency.

Big fan of it. I kinda found it out by accident (and because I am lazy). I had a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch for lunch but didn't feel like using a new bowl for my leftover spaghetti and after I nuked the ghetti, it tasted different. I liked it but haven't tried it yet making it, but I just might.

I do the same thing Bill...I usually toss a bit of sugar in my sauce, but only if I need to balance out the acidity.

Since a sauce is frequently started with finely chopped carrots, onions, and celery, AND celery is perhaps the most basic of vegetables (the opposite of acidic) I am wondering how extra celery would cut a sauce that is too acidic without altering the flavor too much? It would seem to make sense.

Isn't cinnamon a key ingredient of what makes the tomato sauce of Cincinnati "chili"?

Since the Cincinnati thing is Greek, not Tex Mex, maybe a Greek pasta is what calls for the cinnamon

Roger

This was the first thing that came to mind when seeing the thread title.
I was not aware that Cincinnati chili had a Greek background, though.

I've never tried cinnamon, but I think it would go quite well. I often add a small amount of finely diced carrot. I feel that carrots have an earthy quality reminiscent of cinnamon that is easier to taste in a raw carrot. Plus, they add sweetness.

The coumarin in real cinnamon (Ceylon variety) can help lower blood sugar. So it makes sense to add it to sweet food. My cousin eats heaping amounts of cinnamon on her cereal and other sweet things. I don't want to drown in cinnamon taste. A little bit goes a long way.

Top Bottom