What's new

Anyone else put cinnamon in their tomato sauces?

I use a little cinnamon in my chile when I make it and it drives people nuts trying to figure out what that little something that adds to the complexity of the flavor.

I'm from an Italian heritage and I have never heard of anyone putting cinnamon in their pasta sauce.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If I do that, I might get a few fingers cut off... Unless the tomato sauce is for something else like a stew...

I get big eyes when I put a bay leaf in there...

Cinnamon is used quite heavily in Sicilian cooking, as you'd expect geographically. My Uncle used to add it to his pasta sauce but I can't say I liked it that much.

As has been mentioned, a large percentage of carrot as part of a sofrito base of celery, onion and carrot will naturally sweeten the sauce anyway.

The "killer" ingredient though is star anise, you don't need much sounds odd but it really brings out the tomato, onion and meaty notes in classic spaghetti sauce.

Last edited:
If I do that, I might get a few fingers cut off... Unless the tomato sauce is for something else like a stew...

I get big eyes when I put a bay leaf in there...

Mum puts a dried bay leaf in her sauce. It is acceptable:001_smile

Hey, that sounds good! I think the word you are looking for is "umami"

I think the definition of that word is, in fact, the word you are looking for.

I like nutmeg in my sauce, but meat sauce. I think it is the only spice in classic bolognese, besides salt.

Just curious if anyone else puts cinnamon in their spaghetti sauce recipes. I find that many warm spices work very well with tomatoes!

If you haven't tried it, I challenge you to make some for a lunch or dinner tomorrow :)

No, but I always add nutmeg to my alfredo sauce.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mum puts a dried bay leaf in her sauce. It is acceptable:001_smile

My other half doesn't see it that way. I usually have a free pass to do what I want in the kitchen, except Italian dish. Those must remain traditional and, even if I found recipes with bay leaves, it didn't count! :lol:

As a matter of fact, cinnamon is added in several industrial products:toothpaste, colas and other soft drinks or in your regular tomato ketchup. It enhances the flavor of things and, mainly,it is an inconscient reminder of your childhood tastes, between 87% and 97% of the all globe inhabitants love cinnamon taste because of the grandma's recipes, cereal bowl or cinnamon cookies of his chilhood or reminder of great experiences.And, of course, being known since Antiquity, Romans, then the Portuguese trade, Dutch and English it's now a cultural thing and a cornerstone of the world palate, a consensual one.

I never met someone who didn't like cinnamon...But, hey, there's a first time for everything, i think...!!!

Having a friend in cinnamon trade in Sri Lanka, cutting the bark, drying it and milling for export, they have some big brands among their customers...

Top Bottom