What's new

Plisson brushes

What is the board's opinions on Plisson brushes?

How do the Plisson grades of badger compare to other's?

I think they are overpriced. I have no desire to ever own one. As for the quality, I once read on here "Someone please help, my Plisson label is coming off, and that is probably the only thing that makes Plisson better than other brushes." so yeah...

Interesting story: I spoke to one of the head honchos at Truefitt USA over the phone because I had some questions about their brushes (which are made by Rooney, btw). He said he owns over 100 brushes and would take a good Rooney over a Plisson any day.

That said, I've never tried one, and doubt I ever will due to the price.

I have a Plisson badger silvertip which my father gave me after having used it very sparingly for over three decades. Apart from that, I only have an "Erbe" travel brush which I realise is not much to compare with. What I will say for the Plisson that I have used every other day for the last 18 months, it is extremely dense, making it a fantastic tool to massage the lather into your face. The label dropped off rather quickly which was disappointing but since it does not affect the overall performance, I do not see this as a major problem. I wish I had a few other brushes to compare it with but I do know that the purchase price was rather hefty so the value for money is most probably not sensational. If you are on a tight budget, the Plisson is probably not a good deal but in that case, neither is Tabac when you can get yourself the same amount of Palmolive tallow soap for less than 20% of the price and even if I have not had the opportunity to try Tabac yet, I'd doibt that it is 5 time better.

I don't think that this is a forum where anyone frets paying for overpriced stuff. I just beginning my SBAD after letting my other SAD's run there course. I have enough aftershave to take a nice bath in, literally.

It's best to "waste" your money early in the AD. So I'm thinking of a nice Simpson or Plisson (maybe the white mountain badger).

This is why I'm asking for opinions on Plisson's along with the different grades.

I don't think that this is a forum where anyone frets paying for overpriced stuff. I just beginning my SBAD after letting my other SAD's run there course. I have enough aftershave to take a nice bath in, literally.

It's best to "waste" your money early in the AD. So I'm thinking of a nice Simpson or Plisson (maybe the white mountain badger).

This is why I'm asking for opinions on Plisson's along with the different grades.

Here's how I think about them:

-Some of the most beautiful brushes I've seen (once you really get to see that horn in real life)
-Great performance
-Better performance than Simpson's 2 band or Rooney Finest? Or even Rooney Super? No. I actually think that all the other brushes I just listed have more backbone and softer tips. YMMV

They are beautiful and well made, but overpriced. What does that mean?..thats up to you.

My present collection of (3) Rooneys were purchased for what (1) Plisson hmw cost, they work every bit as well.

Long story short, some Grey Badger Plissons costs more than the $110 2-Band Super Simpsons Ehsan I just bought. In fact... their cheapest brush is only $10 cheaper.

I'll probably buy one eventually. They just look beautiful.

I'm a watch nut and the Plisson discussions here remind me of Rolex discussions on wrist watch discussion forums. "They're overpriced!" "Yeah, but they're great watches!" "You're paying a premium just for the name!" "I know, but I still want one!" :tongue_sm

What is the board's opinions on Plisson brushes?

How do the Plisson grades of badger compare to other's?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
i'll probably buy one eventually. They just look beautiful.

I'm a watch nut and the plisson discussions here remind me of rolex discussions on wrist watch discussion forums. "they're overpriced!" "yeah, but they're great watches!" "you're paying a premium just for the name!" "i know, but i still want one!" :tongue_sm

bingo!

Here's how I think about them:

-Some of the most beautiful brushes I've seen (once you really get to see that horn in real life)
-Great performance
-Better performance than Simpson's 2 band or Rooney Finest? Or even Rooney Super? No. I actually think that all the other brushes I just listed have more backbone and softer tips. YMMV

This. Quoted for emphasis.

I'll probably buy one eventually. They just look beautiful.

I'm a watch nut and the Plisson discussions here remind me of Rolex discussions on wrist watch discussion forums. "They're overpriced!" "Yeah, but they're great watches!" "You're paying a premium just for the name!" "I know, but I still want one!" :tongue_sm

Xactly.

A $ 5.00 watch will tell the time. A $ 10.00 brush will whip up a lather as good as any. But if it aint floatin ya boat..................

I am not even sure, if you may call a man's life as complete if he did not lather at least one time with a Plisson brush. Maybe Plisson just seperates the men from the boys.

Last edited:
They don't appeal to me aesthetically, so I doubt I'll buy one.

The lower level Plisson brushes do seem to be the worst deal in shavedom though. They have hollow, plastic handles and the gnarliest looking pure badger knot I've seen. That is when paying for a brand name is silly, imo. As for the top of the range ones; if you have the money and they appeal, get one and enjoy it.

:thumbup1:

Top Bottom