What's new

Fountain pen with a very fine nib?

A month or two ago I decided to try a fountain pen. I found a Waterman Phileas that was brand new in the box at an antique shop. I picked that one up and it has a 'fine' nib. A few days before that, I had placed an order at peartreepens for a Lamy Al-Star with an 'extra fine' nib. Thus far, those are the only two I have tried. While I like the smoothness with which the fountain pens write, the lines are just way too thick for me. For reference, I'm accustome to a Pilot G-2 .38. I don't think the problem is me using too much pressure. I've been very careful about that and the issue has persisted long after I began using them. I even tried turning the pens upside down to get a finer line and that helped, but it was still much too thick and I don't want to have to write with a pen upsdie down. Does anybody have any recommendations for a fountain pen, especially one that is inexpensive (i.e. less than $50), that would put down an extremely thin line like what I'm accustomed to with the Pilot? Or are thicker lines just something that must be accepted if one wants to use a fountain pen?

I think a Parker 51 with a fine nib from the 50'- 60's might just be what you are looking for,
I found these old fine nibs to be much finer and precise than what is considered fine today.

proxy.php

See Parker51.com

The Pilot 78G Fine writes like an EF (Extra Fine) and retails for about USD 25. Not too sure about posting links to online retailers but search for hisnibs and you should be on your way to very fine lines! Oh, disclaimer: I've got one and even wrote a review about :blushing: and I'm not affiliated to hisnibs. :)

The Pilot 78G Fine writes like an EF (Extra Fine) and retails for about USD 25. Not too sure about posting links to online retailers but search for hisnibs and you should be on your way to very fine lines! Oh, disclaimer: I've got one and even wrote a review about :blushing: and I'm not affiliated to hisnibs. :)

The 78G is a great suggestion here is the link to hisnibs. You can also find these on ebay. The Pilot Prera and the Pilot penmanship pens are also good options. All three of these pens use the same nibs.

Also the paper and the inks you use will also affect the width of the lines from a fountain pen. Noodlers makes a line of inks called x-feather that reduces feathering(spreading of the ink on the paper). And cheap/high recycled content paper tend to feather more than higher quality paper

In general the Japanese pens have much finer nibs than the European made pens. A Pilot Vanishing Point medium nib is roughly comparable to a Pelikan fine, for example. A Pilot extra-fine nib is very fine indeed.

Hmm ... I never would have known that Pilot made fountain pens or that it might even be something I should consider. For those that have one, how would it compare in terms of line thickness to what I'm accustomed to (G-2 .38)? I also wondered about the Pilot 51. They seem to be classic pens. How would it compare to what I'm accustomed to?

Legion

Staff member
Hero 616.

Chinese copy of a parker 51 but with an even finer nib (The Chinese like, and need, a very fine nib for writing their characters small)

A decent 51 is a great writer but will probably go for more than $50. I've been using the heros for a while now at work (so my 51's don't walk off) and I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality. They are as cheap as chips and I haven't had one go wrong yet. :thumbup1:

Lamys vary a lot from pen to pen. I have seen fines that are just as fine as my extra fine.
I have a fine Parker Sonnet that is great for writing small.

Another vote for the Parker 51 here. I've been through probably 200 fountain pens over the past 17 years, but the pen in my pocket right now is a 51. They do come in a variety of nib sizes, but an EF is available and not that hard to find.

I'm not too keen on the Hero copies. They're OK, but not as good as the real thing.

Also, you can have just any nib modified to an extra fine if you want. Pay a visit to www.nibs.com and you can get almost anything you want. They're good folks, too. They come to the LA Pen Show every year. I've met them and bought from them.

You can also check out Richard Binder's site. He will smooth nibs. I have a VP EF that is smoother than some med's!

Thank you to all for the continued recommendations. I really like the look of the Parkers and there is something about a vintage pen that appeals to me. I think I'm leaning towards a Parker at this point. But as I'm unsure about wether a fountain pen will work for me in the long run, I don't want to invest in a 51. Would a Parker 21 be a cheaper way to find out if a Parker fine or extra fine nib would suit my writing needs?

Legion

Staff member
Another vote for the Parker 51 here. I've been through probably 200 fountain pens over the past 17 years, but the pen in my pocket right now is a 51. They do come in a variety of nib sizes, but an EF is available and not that hard to find.

I'm not too keen on the Hero copies. They're OK, but not as good as the real thing.

No, the Hero's are not as good as a 51. They are, however, 10% of the cost. And in my experience, they are close in quality to a 21. And still about 25% of the cost. I still recommend the 616, for the OP's price point. If he tries it out and thinks fountain pens are for him, then by all means, pay the extra and get a 51. If you don't see what all this FP fuss is about, who cares? You pen cost next to nothing. Good way to test the water. And the 616 DOES have a finer line than a 51.

But as I'm unsure about whether a fountain pen will work for me in the long run, I don't want to invest in a 51.

Trust me. It will work for you. I've abandoned all ball points, write only with FPs these days and just finished purchasing FP Number 15, 16 and 17 in my collection (all the same Wing Sung #235 - Sheaffer Triumph clone)...FPAD? me? naaah :lol:

I also would have voted for the Parker 51. I was a Parker loyalist...
I acquired a Schaeffer PFM (Pen For Men) on a whim this week while out hunting razors (go figure). It has the most incredible fine nib I have ever experienced and the snorkel filling system is a thing of genius. I highly recommend it if you can find one that is in good condition and not overpriced.

I love my Parker collection but for my daily writing tool it is now the PFM

Last edited:
Try a Namiki/Pilot Fine Vanishing Point. It's a very fine nib, indeed, and it's an exceptionally cool, convenient pen. Outstanding quality, too.

-Andy

Top Bottom