What's new

Fountain pen with a very fine nib?

Hero 616.

Chinese copy of a parker 51 but with an even finer nib (The Chinese like, and need, a very fine nib for writing their characters small)

A decent 51 is a great writer but will probably go for more than $50. I've been using the heros for a while now at work (so my 51's don't walk off) and I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality. They are as cheap as chips and I haven't had one go wrong yet. :thumbup1:

I know they are not expensive pens but I'm thinking I am doing something wrong...

First, is there a specific way to load these pens with ink? I put the tip into the well push the metal tab and it sucks up only the tiniest amount of ink...so I inverted the pen and did this several times...I'm thinking I am doing something wrong because it takes forever to fill!!!

The other thing is the ink flows fine for a few sentences and then it gets lighter and lighter until you can't read it any more...not even 10 sentences of writing...and the thing is filled with ink....what am I doing wrong???

I had a reg nib fountain pen and it wrote fine but with my hand writing style it was too thick...

Thank you
Joe

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know they are not expensive pens but I'm thinking I am doing something wrong...

First, is there a specific way to load these pens with ink? I put the tip into the well push the metal tab and it sucks up only the tiniest amount of ink...so I inverted the pen and did this several times...I'm thinking I am doing something wrong because it takes forever to fill!!!

The other thing is the ink flows fine for a few sentences and then it gets lighter and lighter until you can't read it any more...not even 10 sentences of writing...and the thing is filled with ink....what am I doing wrong???

I had a reg nib fountain pen and it wrote fine but with my hand writing style it was too thick...

Thank you
Joe
Well, if their collector is made like the 51s, they hold a lot of ink. Which means it takes a lot of ink to actually fill the pen. Some have mentioned that the Hero filling system is inadequate, and remove the metal bar and treat it like a bulb filler. More info here (I don't have personal experience): http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...How-to-quot-tune-quot-a-Hero-616-fountain-pen

Namiki and japanese nibs in the Extra Fine category tend to be quite fine but scratchy. Check out GouletPens.com for some awesome pens, and Brian Goulet knows a ton about extra fine nibs.

Namiki and japanese nibs in the Extra Fine category tend to be quite fine but scratchy. Check out GouletPens.com for some awesome pens, and Brian Goulet knows a ton about extra fine nibs.
well didnt you just sneak in the back door lol

Great advice Ski, and welcome to both the Nib and Badger and Blade

Based on my chicken scratch writing and need to annotate printed material, I needed a very fine nib. The Pilot Penmanship in EF are super fine but can be a little scratchy.

Today I'm using a Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe that I bought from Terry Morris at Peyton Street Pens last year. It is a fine point but writes more like an EF. It was a NOS second because of some marks on the clip but the impefections were very slight. It's a vacuum filler so no cartridges or syringes are needed.

I've been very happy with all the pens that I've bought from Terry as she will make sure the pen works and is tuned to your liking.

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/nos-seconds/sheaffer-imperial-ii-deluxe-fountain-pen-seconds.html

Top Bottom