What's new

When is a Newb no Longer a Newb?

When is a newbie no longer considered a newbie? I'm curious as to the thinking on this. Also, I'm having trouble getting sleepy and was looking for something to do! I apologize in advance if it's already been discussed to death.

1. Is there a certain amount of posts needed?

2. How about a certain longevity as a member?

3. Maybe it is a certain number of successful shaves without ripping my neck up? :laugh:

4. Am I a newb as long as I consider myself to be a newb, which I certainly do! I still feel like I have soooo much to learn and I feel it may be a lifelong event!

5. Is it when all the AD's in their various forms kick in and I reach a certain spending threshold? I'm already in trouble with that!

6. I know that one is welcome to spend money to their heart's content starting from the first 'rattle out of the gate'. But one is not allowed to sell or trade until 50 posts and 45 days membership. I understand, but still grumble about it (only a few more days to go :thumbup:). Is that when one is no longer a newbie... a 50/45 rule of thumb?

7. There is no set criteria? It is just left up to everyone's common sense? This may be difficult since people all have different levels of common sense. I know I'm in trouble if it's left up to my mine, being closer to the 'lack of' end of the scale... if ya know what I mean! :lol:

"Newb", "Newbie", "n00b", "nooblet", "neophyte", "tyro", "beginner", "abecedarian", "tenderfoot", "greenhorn", "novice", "novitiate", "amateur"...these are but labels. Each day brings new experiences, new opportunities to grow and learn. The day you may consider yourself no longer any of these terms is the day that life itself becomes a needless necessity. Once you feel there is nothing more to learn, nothing to be gained by striving for something better, you lose the will to breathe the very air around you. You no longer are filled with childlike innocense, you no longer yearn to discover the other side of the mountain, your grasp fails to reach beyond the stars. The well of the mysteries of life runs dry...

"Newb" is a state of mind and impossible to quantify. Newbosity is the sound of one hand clapping. On a long enough timeline we are all newbs. Show me a man who considers him an expert in all things, and I will show you a fool.

Thus spake the monkey...

proxy.php

Last edited:
When you're able to shave while concentrating on another thing and manage it with no bleeders or nicks. You may still improve but you're passed the noob status. Kind of like riding a bike, driving or just about any skill.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Depends how you see this but I'm with the Monkey on this :biggrin:

I don't consider myself as Noob anymore but I don't think I'm an expert either. I have a "big picture", an idea, but I'm still learning.

It's awesome!

I Started shaving 30 (plus) years ago. Stated using my Dads old DE razors. Then over the years went through the usual cartridge types, electric types, back to cartridge types and even a spell of beardiness. I came back to DE at Christmas and although I am achieving very very good shaves.........
I am a Newb!!

Oscar.

I say "it's good to be a noob" cause lots of pifs and package deals are directed at noobs. Ah, but the time will come, GRASSHOPPER, when you must throw off the noob mantle and venture forth into the cold cruel world of WS by yourself, well, not really cause you have all of us at B&B, but the story is better the other way. I think that we should have a coming out ceremony, yes , coming out of noobdom! Zomething like " I dub thee free of nubeedom"

:thumbup: I LOVE it!!

Awesome responses guys and excellent reading material! Good answers coupled with humor.. can't beat that.

"When you answer far more questions than you ask." I'm still asking loads of questions... and DANGIT... Nick is too fast... can't quite snatch that 34C yet.

Thus, I listened to the monkey.... :001_cool:

100+ posts - an excellent standard; plus, a quality razor(like an Edward Jagger), continued use of Feather blades, several different Col Conk soaps, a scratchy Col Conk brush, Pinaud Clubman aftershave. Then you'll be a newb no longer.

:w00t:

proxy.php

"Master Po, when will my Noobness come to an end?"

"Grasshopper, when you can leave this Fusion in my hand, it will be time for you to leave."

I really don't know. No matter how long you do something someone will always have been at it longer than you have. So I guess one can always be a newbie to someone.

I wouldn't let it bother you though. I think you'll always be a newbie until you allow yourself not to be. :thumbup: :laugh: :biggrin1: :w00t:

Top Bottom