What's new

vintage razor questions

these same questions have probably been asked a hundred or more times already but I'll ask again

1) Fat boy, Slim adjustable, What's the hype all about?
2) how big of a difference between the two
3) finally, I am looking for a 1945 razor, my Pops birth year (doubt I can find anything for my birth year '81) how with no date code, is there a way or do I just have to get close?

Sorry for asking questions that the answers are probably already here somewhere.

The Gillette adjustable series of razors are certainly well regarded whatever type.

1. The Fatboy has a slightly shorter, thicker handle. The head geometry is slightly different. I suspect the "hype" is mostly that, due in part to these being produced in lesser numbers than the Slim. That said, I like my Fattie very much. I also like my Slim too!

2. A few dollars on the second hand market is the difference. There will come a time that you decide that you need both, so whatever I tell you here is pretty much a moot point anyway!

3. Not sure what you will get as a 1945 razor, otheres will no doubt be better able to advise you.

For 1981, get yourself a Gillette Super Adjustable. This is essentially a Slim with a black handle. 1976 on, the base plate of the head was plastic. This does not detract from the shave at all but makes the balance closer to one of the modern multiblade dollar munchers. This is particularly so if you opt for a long handled version. I like mine a a lot too.

I believe the black handled Super Speed production continued into the 80s. That may be another option.

Cheers,
DF

these same questions have probably been asked a hundred or more times already but I'll ask again

3) finally, I am looking for a 1945 razor, my Pops birth year (doubt I can find anything for my birth year '81) how with no date code, is there a way or do I just have to get close?

Sorry for asking questions that the answers are probably already here somewhere.

1. The Fatboy is a beautiful piece of engineering. The likes of that you won't see today in any consumer item. Though that can be said of many of the Gillette razors, the FB is more complicated mechanically yet still robust and nicely made.
2. From a purely physical point of view see my sig.

I prefer the FB over the Slim, it does just feel better in my hand and does shave me a bit better but that's just me................... ( and that being said it's not my best shaver )

Last edited:
Top Bottom