What's new

Sweat?

B

bluefoxicy

I don't tend to sweat. I mean, if I do heavy aerobics on Wii Fit for 10-20 minutes straight, eventually I'll have a damp sheen. If it's just hot out, and I'm hanging out, and whatever... hell, even hanging out with a girl that's making my heart race (that's rare, but there are very few exceptions that pop up every several years) doesn't get me perspiring.

I simply don't need to. I've never had a problem with the heat, and I've always had to push my body pretty hard with aerobics to get a tiny bit of sweat; as soon as I'm damp, though, I feel cool to cold, so even then I only sweat a little.

I've heard somewhere that this affects colognes. Apparently the smallest amount of perspiration brings dried-on EdT to life, evaporating the scent into the air for those around you to experience. ... or not, with me it just dries on and stays dry.

Could this be the root of my longevity issues? I don't sweat, even in the very least, so my EdT lasts all of an hour or two, with subtle base notes left if you bring your nose half an inch from my skin and take a good, long whiff?

I would think it's the body heat that does that more than the sweat but I could be wrong. You might want to look into scents that have more sillage to them.

It means "wake" in the original French as in a boat's wake. Refers to the potency / projection of the scent off your body. Some project more than others. What do you wear normally? Aftershaves have the lowest concentration of scent and therefore have the lowest longevity & projection. Colognes have more and will (normally) last longer. Eau de Toilettes have even more than colognes and eau de parfums typically have the highest concentration with the exception of pure perfume extract (Extrait).

Last edited:
B

bluefoxicy

What do you wear normally?

Saint Charle's Shave Bay Rum. Occasionally New Spice. I have Aspect and BRT as well. All EdT.

Col. Conk's amber aftershave lasts about as long.

My application is chest, wrists/forearm, occasionally neck (or back of neck; I like pulse points though). One spray each, half-sprays for the arms and neck but a full spray on the chest. No layering (spraying, letting 'ry, then coming back again) or pumping out several shots to wet myself down.

I have New Spice which, although a very nice scent, functions more as an EdC rather than a true EdT. Might want to branch out into more areas. If you like New Spice, give something like John Varvatos a try.

If you want something more "barber-shoppy" check out Pinaud Clubman (old school), Bulgari Pour Homme and perhaps Rive Gauche Pour Homme & by Yves Saint Laurent.

Last edited:
You probably have kind of dry skin. Not like "needs to be treated by a dermatologist" dry...just drier than many people. I have that and it can suck the life out of many scents, especially lighter ones.

Yes, on a warmish day, a wee bit of sweat can wake up a frag.

There are a lot of threads in Basenotes about using unscented moisturizers and such to prolong a scent, but I don't know how much extra effort I really want to put into it.

Top Bottom