What's new

Shoe Care Question

I just received a pair of Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues and have a question about getting them ready. I bought the conditioner/cleaner and shoe polish, but didn't get the dauber to apply them with. I did get a shine brush and shine cloth for after the cleaner and polish are applied, but is there any particular way I should apply the cream and polish since I don't have a dauber?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would put on some conditioner/cleaner before doing anything. Rub it into the shoe with a clean old t-shirt and let it sit for a few hours. Then brush off the excess. Then apply the polish, let it sit for 10-15 mins, then brush again vigorously. You can make a better shine by using your shine cloth for a final buffing with that until they shine up.

What kind of polish do you have?

Anyway, the dauber is really unnecessary. Just take a CLEAN old t-shirt (one you don't care about converting to a shine rag) and apply it with that.

you can buy a duaber at walmart....

When I was shining shoes, I used my hands, however, the t-shirt will work real well if you have the time...

When I use the dauber I barely tap in into the polish and rub in on in a circular motion to make sure I get a thin coating....I let it set a few minutes and brush it off....I repeat it again and I have a very good brush from the late 50's that is very thick....that is my final brush....I then turn to my shine rag and finish it up....does a great job...

Good for you for shining and prepping your shoes before wearing them.

I use old t-shirts, no dauber necessary.

Sorry to dredge this from the depths of the B&B but I figured it was better than starting a new thread.

I have a pair of black shoes and a pair of brown shoes, should I use different Brushes for each or is one brush for both fine?

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to dredge this from the depths of the B&B but I figured it was better than starting a new thread.

I have a pair of black shoes and a pair of brown shoes, should I use different Brushes for each or is one brush for both fine?

Thanks for the help.

Use different brushes because the black brush will transfer wax to the brown shoe.

+1 This method has shined literally millions and millions of shoes.

The key to a great shine is to apply wax sparingly with a moist cloth wrapped around your finger. The wax buffs off much easier that any other method, including a dauber. The water allows the wax to penetrate the leather and fills in the pores. It's the same principle as waxing a car. Several light coats are better than one heavy coat.

Yep, different brushes for different colors. I've been doing it that way for 40 years. If you take care of a good pair of shoes they will last longer than you think. It's important to clean and polish often, about once a month. Rotate your shoes, do not wear the same pair two ays in a row unless it's an emergency. If they get wet let them air dry. Use shoe trees, they will prevent some of the creases but not all but most of all they prevent them from curling at the toes. My personal preference is leather soles and at least half leather, half rubber heels.

It you take good care of them you could have them for decades. I still have a perfect pair of Florsheim Wing-tips I purchased in the late 1980's. They have been re-soled at least 3 times. My local shoemaker (that's what we call them in the Bronx) is constantly amazed at how long my shoes last.

Anyway, that's my $.02.

Mike

I just received a pair of Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues and have a question about getting them ready. I bought the conditioner/cleaner and shoe polish, but didn't get the dauber to apply them with. I did get a shine brush and shine cloth for after the cleaner and polish are applied, but is there any particular way I should apply the cream and polish since I don't have a dauber?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Use to be in the shoe business ..just use and old cloth folded over (saves your fingers) and rub in polish. Let sit a minute or two and gently brush . Get a decent shine brush and then a bit more polish,a dab of spit and a soft shine cloth. (the long narrow type you snap back and forth) Then set up your own shine stand and away you go!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was told by a shoe salesman that modern shoe polishes contain conditioning materials, and separate cleaners/conditioners were unnecessary.

I also use an old toothbrush to pick up some wax and rub it into the seams of the shoes. It'll get into places where a cloth or dauber won't. I use separate toothbrushes for each color.

Top Bottom