What's new

Purpose of Thayers Rose Petal Witch hazel

Whats fellas, was just wondering whats this stuff for, do i really need another item on my bathroom sink..?? Do you guys use it after or before you shave :blush:

It's marketed as a facial toner. Most guys here use it as an aftershave or in addition to an aftershave.

It's marketed as a facial toner. Most guys here use it as an aftershave or in addition to an aftershave.

I use it as aftershave. I use regular witch hazel and add glycerin (to make it thicker), peppermint (better cooling sensation than whatever you can buy), lavender, vanilla, and sandalwood (to make a nicer scent). Smells good, you can apply liberally, the peppermint cools and thayer's really combats the irritation.

As far as I know rose pedal is just a scent? They have a peppermint one which adds scent and cooling, but not nearly as good as dropping in your own peppermint EO (20-30 drops makes an EXTREME sensation that cools and wake you up in the morn').

Great post here I was just about to make similar post.

Today I found Thayers Witch Hazel with Rose and Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera. I was at Natures Village store here in Hong Kong and looking for a new balm or something that wont make my face red. Plus I get acne from AOS blams clogging my pores. Now that temperature is down to cold 50 F here my skin is extra dry too. Woe is me.

So I come home rinse off the AOS balm with cold water then apply Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera. (Rose petal seems girly to me). Its now about 15 minutes later and my face does not feel warm or burn. Skin feels cool and moist. I am a happy camper.

I want to further the origional question posted by petercle.

1. After I shave, I rinse with cold water and I apply it? Thats my plan and to eliminate AOS balm.

2. How do you apply? Directions suggest cotton ball. I found my girlfriends cotton pads for makeup and used one. Then found cotton fuzzy strings across my face.

3. Anyone tried both Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera and Witch Hazel with Rose Petal? Differences? Likes Dislikes? I have sensitive skin - ugh.

Thanks Fellers

1. After I shave, I rinse with cold water and I apply it? Thats my plan and to eliminate AOS balm.

2. How do you apply? Directions suggest cotton ball. I found my girlfriends cotton pads for makeup and used one. Then found cotton fuzzy strings across my face.

3. Anyone tried both Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera and Witch Hazel with Rose Petal? Differences? Likes Dislikes? I have sensitive skin - ugh.

1 - Yes! Use cold water to close the pores, and still with a wet face apply the witch hazel.

2 - Pour some in your hand and splash onto face. Again, I add tablespoon (1 and a half centiliters) of glycerin just to make the formula thicker.

3 - I've never seen the other I think. I use it with aloe vera and add essential oils for smell, and peppermint for an intense cooling sensation

I have Thayer's and some CVS stuff.

I used it a few times, but now I just skip it and go straight to the aftershave.

It does nothing for me, except for making my face smell like bacon.

I have Thayers non-alcohol witch hazel in original, unscented, lavender, and rose petal fragrances (a pedal is something you operate with your foot). I splash it on and rub it in after the hot rinse--when the aloe and vitamin E can get into them--it's room temperature and will close the pores. After it's dry, I may splash some smell-good aftershave on over it. Some of the latter works best with unscented witch hazel, and some compliment the other scents. The layer of alcohol-free witch hazel helps prevent alcohol-based aftershaves from burning.

I use the Thayers WH w/ aloe vera. It's great in the summer time. I just put it on my hands and pat it onto my face and neck.

The Witch Hazel really seems to help heal my skin after a shave. After my shave I rinse my face and use an alum block while my face is still wet. While I let the alum do it's thing I clean up my shaving stuff. Then I put the witch hazel in my palm pretty liberally and rinse the alum residue off and leave my face wet with the witch hazel. Get dressed while that dries. In the winter I usually follow that up with a balm - in that case I usually use the inexpensive, unscented witch hazel. In the summer I often just stop with the witch hazel in which case I might use one of the scented Thayers - lemon, lavendar, depends on the cologne I'm going to wear that day.

There are people who say the alum and witch hazel are redundant but I find the alum to be more astringent and the witch hazel to be soothing/healing. And, since they're both relatively cheap, I use both.

I've been using Witch Hazel as an acne treatment for awhile since lotion makes me breakout, but in Minnesota the winters get so bad that I need to moisturize. Once I started using it as an aftershave, too, I was even more convinced of its worth. I just put some in my hands after a shave and spread it around as the last thing I do. The one I have has Aloe Vera leaf juice in it too which I nice for those times when I do nick myself or get some razor burn. I also find that it's really refreshing to use right before bed after I wash my face. Very soothing and cooling.

I would like to know more though about the Rose Water. Apparently rose water is one of the lightest astringents there is. Can anybody who has used a few of the different varieties of Thayer's speak to the differences among them?

I have Thayers non-alcohol witch hazel in original, unscented, lavender, and rose petal fragrances (a pedal is something you operate with your foot). I splash it on and rub it in after the hot rinse--when the aloe and vitamin E can get into them--it's room temperature and will close the pores. After it's dry, I may splash some smell-good aftershave on over it. Some of the latter works best with unscented witch hazel, and some compliment the other scents. The layer of alcohol-free witch hazel helps prevent alcohol-based aftershaves from burning.

+1 This is basically how I use it. Works wonders.

I use Thayers Rose Petal and while seemingly expensive as an astringent at around $10 a bottle, it is a bargain when used as an aftershave. Thayers is very refreshing when applied to the skin and the light scent dissipates rather quickly. Witch Hazel was commonly used in old barber shops but corporate marketing muscle decidedly changed modern day shaving habits to include more expensive aftershaves (as well as cartridge razors and other products no one knew they needed).

It should be noted that these high quality witch hazels (Thayer's or Dickinson's) contain no alcohol unlike their cheaper cousins sold at many corner drugstores.

Can anybody who has used a few of the different varieties of Thayer's speak to the differences among them?

I have not used plain rose water, so I can't compare it to Thayers. Of the four non-alcohol Thayers I use, I'd rate their performance about equal. If I had to choose only one, it would be the unscented. I hope this gives you the info you were seeking.

so would it be ok to use it after I shave, then proceed with my aftershave or moisturizer..?? Have any of you guys heard of the Rose water that AOS has..? it that the same thing as Thayers..??

so would it be ok to use it after I shave, then proceed with my aftershave or moisturizer..??

That's how I sometimes do it... letting it dry on my face before applying smell-good aftershave. I don't need a moisturizer after using witch hazel.

Have any of you guys heard of the Rose water that AOS has..? it that the same thing as Thayers..??

I have not looked at the AOS product. The ingredients list for the Thayers is here. If you can find that for the AOS product, you can compare them. That said, I doubt they are the same (although the Thayers appears to contain rose water). Does the AOS contain witch hazel?

Last edited:
Top Bottom