What's new

Shower shave

Hey Gents,
Just curious if anyone here has tried to shave or does shave in the shower using no soap or cream, just a constant supply of hot water on the face and neck. I'm sure we can all agree that hot water is a crucial componant in wet shaving and it does a fantastic job of hydrating the face and softening the beard to be easily cut. So does anyone shave in the shower (with a no fog mirror) with a cartidge razor or a DE while keeping their face constantly under hot water?

While I agree that hot or warm water is an important component, a good lather will add increased slickness and protection.

I do not shave the way you have described, nor would I recommend that others do so.

While I agree that hot or warm water is an important component, a good lather will add increased slickness and protection.
8<

+1. Keywords here are slickness and protection.

Protection is a comforting factor you could go without depending on the skin and if you have a perfect technique but slickness is a necessity. And plain water just isn't slick enough.

+1. Keywords here are slickness and protection.

Protection is a comforting factor you could go without depending on the skin and if you have a perfect technique but slickness is a necessity. And plain water just isn't slick enough.

+1 on the +1...+2?

Cushion and lubrication are two very important parts of dragging a razor across your skin. Water is the third, while any will work on there own, all three together provide the most comfort and protection.

When I used to use cartridges, I'd frequently shave in the shower (esp. if I needed to save time). However, it was never great and never would have tried it without goo in a can. Now that I use real lather I'd never shave without it...so shower shaves are out of the question now :thumbup:

Hmmm... I was just curious, especially since method shaving revolves around the concept that hot water is the single most important variable in a good shave. I just thought instead of buying all those hydrolast products to preserve the water on your face, why not just shave with a constant application of hot water:001_cool:

Hmmm... I was just curious, especially since method shaving revolves around the concept that hot water is the single most important variable in a good shave. I just thought instead of buying all those hydrolast products to preserve the water on your face, why not just shave with a constant application of hot water:001_cool:

You got me thinking now...what if a razor was made that could attach to a hose of some type and be used in the shower?!?!!!! A constant stream of water as the cushion and to wash away the cut stubble!!!!

Like a waterpik attached to a razor.

Sounds crazy I know, but if it existed I would try it.

Whoever makes this please cut me in for a percentage so I don't have to sue.

Thanks!

You are correct - hot water is an important variable, but not the only one. I would think that with water alone, you'd get some tugging and irritation. Ya gotta have that cushion and slickness, be it from a can or otherwise. I enjoy shaving in the shower about half the time. I keep a brush, a plastic mug of soap and a Merkur Classic in the shower stall or I face lather some KMF, also in a plastic pump bottle. (Unbreakable stuff is also a good idea in the shower)

Quite honestly, I don't think hot water is the single most important variable in a good shave. Is that really the entire essence of method shaving?

Before discovering B&B, I used to shave in the shower all the time (no mirror) with a Fusion Power razor. I could easily get a BBS with one WTG pass and one ATG pass. I never relathered, just kept shaving. After going ATG, I'd just blade buff with the hot water on my face.

Since switching to a DE a few months ago, I stopped shaving in the shower because I can't handle a DE deftly without a mirror.

Recently, I traveled for a weekend and grabbed one of the old Fusion blades to save time while traveling. Honestly, I was torn. I could get a fantastic shave in half the time, but I do enjoy the shave brush and several pass shave (mostly just the ritual of it all).

I'll probably always keep a Fusion around for quick weekend trips, but I'm not heading into the shower with my Futur any time soon...

With M3's, I use to do one pass with some gel and then stick my face under the shower head and shave again with a constant stream of hot water hitting whatever spot I was shaving(no gel this time) I actually got some pretty good shaves this way.....but now i wont trade the DE for this

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

I do not shave the way you have described, nor would I recommend that others do so.

That is the correct answer.

I will on occasion take my brush and lather in the shower and shave with my DE (razor de jour) and will do a 2 or 3 pass shave. I'll rinse and with my face under the water will touch up. Or, I'll use a bit of shaving oil and touch up. I have a fog free mirror and don't find it very useful. So I shave by touch and muscle memory - mostly witout a mirror.

When I have the opportunity to get in a wet or dry sauna I will take a DE in with me and once I get hot I'll start to slowly shave without a mirror. I may use some shaving oil, but no matter how I do it - I get really nice shaves in a sauna.

Oh and I have yet to cut myself shaving without a mirror - perhaps I take my time.

If you add at your argument "the lather" concept, then I think you can achieve one of the best shaves

My re-entrance into the world of wetshaving started with a co-worker telling me he shaved in the shower. I was intrigued. I threw out my electric, got a fogless mirror and a 3-blade cartridge razor and tried it out. It seemed to work well for me, so I did it for about 3 years, eventually even upgrading my shower head to one with a shut-off lever so I could regulate the water flow. Now of course, I prefer building a lather and DE shaving at the sink. But recently I tried my old shower shaving method (with canned Noxema and my old 3-blade cartridge) and I must say it was a really close and comfortable shave with zero irritation or nicks. I remember thinking that my face didn't even feel like I had shaved once I got out. Of course, everybody's mileage may vary, but I always had a good experience doing this.

I cannot even imagine shaving without soap.

I shower shave every day...but I use my brush, soap and DE to do it.

Hot water alone seems almost as bad as dry shaving.

Bring on the lather...

Top Bottom