What's new

I've figured out the perfect lather.

I had mentioned a couple days a go that I had shaved (without having shaved the previous day), using a super lather of MWF @ GFT Sandalwood cream, getting the smoothest shave in a long time with very little irritation after 3 passes (WTG, XTG & ATG and no touch ups).

Well I tried it again today. I loaded up my brush with MWF, then added a dollop of TOBS Shaving Shop cream and went to town with it in my bowl. Well I got the same results today (without touch ups). One thing I did notice though, and I think this is THE KEY: both times the lather was thick and merengue like, but there was very little moisture. At spots you can see it drying up, but even after passing my razor over those dry spots I got no irritation and the shave was super smooth.

I'm pretty sure I'll be superlathering most of the time now. :thumbup1:

I'll have to give this a try. For me, low moisture has equaled weepers and irritation! ( Glad it worked for you!

Different strokes for different folks!

When I (super)lather up I prefer a mixture with a high moisture content. I like to see my meringue peaks toppling over.

Different strokes for different folks!

When I (super)lather up I prefer a mixture with a high moisture content. I like to see my meringue peaks toppling over.

and this is the weird thing too, Despite not using glycerin and getting a dry lather, my face has been moist all day long.

I'm gonna have to give this one a try. I've never really had a problem with my soaps, but when I'm using my straight, I'm still quite new so I'm slow and careful, I find my lather tends to dry out some. I'll see how this goes. Thanks for the post. :thumbup1:

I'm gonna have to give this one a try. I've never really had a problem with my soaps, but when I'm using my straight, I'm still quite new so I'm slow and careful, I find my lather tends to dry out some. I'll see how this goes. Thanks for the post. :thumbup1:

Take from me I tend to get irritated when going for a 3-4 pass BBS, but this provided a lot of cushion with no skipping. And the lather was some of the driest(albeit thick) lather I have had. My skin is still moist and really smooth. I'm kind of bummed in that I probably won't have anything to shave tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the reminder. MWF does dissipate on the face surprisingly quick.

Shall super lather with arko frozen lavender cream.

I believe that face lathering helps much better to have a feel of how much water must be added to your lather in order to achieve the ultimate balance.

I tend to avoid the mug (although I use it sometimes)

Remember

MWF + TOBS = best lather, regardless of a lack of moisture. I'm not sure I would have gotten that with any other cream.

Oops, I did it again baby:thumbup1::lol: This time with MWF + TOBS St. James! Granted this time there is some irritation, but not a whole lot.

Lately I've been using a combo of two creams to create the lather and smell I want, but I'll definitely try MWF plus a cream once I pickup a puck. Thanks for the great idea!

Glad to hear this combo works for you.

Unfortunately, I had high hopes for MWF and TOBS St. James. Turns out my face hated both!

BTW, bnndx2, I love your avatar. One of my all-time favorite albums.

Getting a good lather can really be a mixed bag, with my cheap ebay silvertip i can use ingram with any of my soaps and get a fantastic superlather yet i tried the same with my new shavemac and it kept on being too thin.

A bit of experimentation never hurts as the shavemac loves p160 soap better than the other brush, half the fun of shaving is playing around with new methods, tomorrow i'll try some eshave manadarin with ingram on the shavemac only this time go slow and not pre soak the puck like a normally do, see where that gets me. :thumbup1:

Glad to hear this combo works for you.

Unfortunately, I had high hopes for MWF and TOBS St. James. Turns out my face hated both!

BTW, bnndx2, I love your avatar. One of my all-time favorite albums.

Funny thing, I tried Eton College yesterday. Eton College, St. James and Shaving Shop are the ones I've tried. Eton College and St. James have stronger scents, yet their scents were waker when worked in with MWF then the Shaving Shop?

Top Bottom