What's new

Trumper... to soak or not to soak

I've heard different tactics with soaps. Some people soak them while they're in the shower... others don't.

I have 4 pucks right now. 2 Trumpers, Tabac, and 1 Dr. Harris. I'd appreciate any comments from people who use these soaps, i'm trying to improve my lather (I like it rich and creamy).

Do you soak?

I also have the soaps you mention and I never soak the soap itself, a damp brush is sufficient. But what I find is, if I load the brush by swirling for around 20-30 seconds rather than half a dozen quick swirls, the lather produced is much richer.

I usually just wet the top of the soap unter the faucet and immediately shake off any excess water. I leave it to sit for a minute or two while I get on with other prep, and then it's ready for loading.

No soaking required if you have a brush with backbone. I think this is more to do with the brush than the soap.

I normally put a little on the puck while I'm filling up the sink with water then pour it off and load my brush. From there I go directly to my face. I don't use a bowl with soaps.

There is no right or wrong with this. Just find what works best for you and go with it.

Don't soak. I never soak any soaps--I think it just causes problems. I don't even put any water on top--I find a soaked brush, properly shaken, is more than good enough

I put a few drops of water on the puck after I get out of the shower. But I pour it off immediately after re-warming the scuttle and drying the mirror. It is on there for probably less than a minute.

Soaking a soap will in almost every case reduce it's lifespan considerably without improving the lather.

The few exceptions are significant, however. A new puck of soap that has been in storage for awhile may have dried out enough that it can be difficult to lather the first few uses. It is helpful to put a little bit of water on them before their first use, however even here soaking is serious overkill. The night before you use it the first time, simply run a bit of water over the new puck and pour off the excess; the water remaining on the surface of the puck will soften it overnight. If you continue using the soap daily, and cover it up with the provided lid, then this one-time treatment will have been sufficient as the soap will absorb moisture from each use and become softer and better with successive uses. If you only use the soap every week or so, and leave it uncovered so it can dry out, then your soap will never soften correctly and will frequently develop cracks from the repeated expansion/contraction cycles, and in this case wetting the surface is all that is needed, by running a bit of water onto the puck and pouring off the excess.

I suspect that this bit of misinformation about soaking the puck came about because it solved that first-use old-puck problem albeit in a heavy-handed way. But that's no excuse for continuing the barbarity.

Break that puck in with a tiny bit of water, use it every day, and keep it covered up so it stays wet, and it will keep improving day after day for several months, and will last you a year or more of daily use.

Last edited:
You will get the hang of it. You certainly got the hang of selecting a few excellent soaps to begin with.

To soak or not to soak depends on which brush I use. For instance the Kent BK4, thats right, the one that can make lather out of a "pot roast". I like using it with AOS and MWF on occasions. When I do I add a couple of teaspoons of water on top of my soap to help soften her up for the big BK then pour it into my pot prior to loading my brush. If I use my Edward Jaggers medium (silvertip also but stouter) I don't add water and face lather. You'll figure it out with time. Thats the best part, you have alot of shaving to do in the next 50 to 60 years:drool::thumbup:

The only time you need to soak your soap is if your soap is so hard you can't load your brush enough to achieve the quantity or quality of lather you desire. Water softens the soap, but if it gets too soft, you'll begin building a watery lather on top of it and your brush won't load.

-Clarke

I also have the soaps you mention and I never soak the soap itself, a damp brush is sufficient. But what I find is, if I load the brush by swirling for around 20-30 seconds rather than half a dozen quick swirls, the lather produced is much richer.

+1. Then I face lather. I don't use a bowl or scuttle. I dip the tips in a cup of warm water if I find the lather on my face needs more water.

-Andy

"Soaking" is probably overboard. But putting a spoonful of water on top while you shower certainly can't hurt and isn't going to waste much soap at all.

soaking a puck is a quick way to kill it (as all the good bits seep out of it)

I always put a couple of drops of water on the top to soften it up a bit, but certainly never soak

Top Bottom