What's new

A newbies take on his first order of Proraso and Tabac...

So after getting to the point where I thought my lathering technique was acceptable, I decided to get a puck of Tabac and a tube of Proraso.

Tabac:​
The legends are true. This soap is what I expected it to be. I got a nice rich lather, although I found I needed just a little bit more water then when I was using glycerin. The lather had a lot of "cushion" to it, the blade glided smoothly across my face. What really struck me was when everything was said and done, my face did not in any way feel dried out. I see why tallow is the way to go for dry skin.

I do admit that when I opened the package, the smell was a little too "flowery" for me. I did notice that when lathered, it does develop a slightly muskier scent, and the scent that is left on my face is actually quite pleasing. But I can see how the scent is a turn-off for some.

All and all, I will always have a puck of Tabac lying around now. I really enjoy the scent of Mama Bear's Ye Olde Babershop (and so does the wifey), but I think Tabac will be my Sunday shave soap.

Proraso:​
The lathering was out of this world, but it is the menthol that will keep me coming back. The refreshing feeling it leaves is excellent in the morning. I really enjoy the scent, nice and light.

I really should have tried this first, as I noticed my face did feel a little "tighter" then with Tabac, but now I'm spoiled :blush:

An excellent cream that I will use in the morning. Between Proraso and Mama Bear, I might be able to hold off buying more soaps for a while (who are we kidding).:biggrin1:

So now I get to try a stick of Speick tomorrow, so I'll let everyone know how that goes...

I just went back to my tabac after a little over a week away. Every use I'm more convinced there is some form of witchcraft involved in this soap. I CAN'T make bad lather with it.

Loaded my 28mm brush with it. Seemed really dry. Shot a spurt straight from the tap into it. Way too much water. Put it my scuttle. It was sudsy.

For about three seconds. Then as if by magic, great, thick lather. It's not as slippy as the williams I made through a 15minute process the other day, or the QED I used yesterday, but it's slippy enough. And it took no effort. 10 second lather.

Shaved with Proraso last night. Both Tabac and Proraso should be a staple in any shave den.

Last edited:
Tabac is great!
Proraso is cool!
Speick is a must! It's the soap I use most of the times! Not expensive. A must try!

Top Bottom