What's new

What did i buy? Pics included

I found this at a local grocery store behind the counter kind of oddly placed. I asked about it and he even didnt want to sell it to me lol, he said "are you sure? it's so old i wouldnt use it..." So before i open it up i want to know what it is i bought, year, history, and what not...

sorry for the image size...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My god, those are the biggest pictures I have ever seen. :lol:

That's a Black Handled Superspeed, and is a fine razor.

You better check and see if the guy has any more, and buy him out of stock before someone else does!!

Under the head of the razor there will be a letter and a number that correspond to the quarter and year it was made from this chart;

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

The packaging looks like it's a W, or 1976, but it could be a year or so either side of that.

Last edited:
Gillette black handle Super Speed, made from 1966 until 1986 (or so) The UPC would place it mid 70's or later (approximate) If you look at an angle under the head, you might be able to make out the date code stamped on the razor, then check on this chart for an exact date.

EDIT: A little to slow for Phil, but we seem to agree:lol:

ANOTHER EDIT: Looking at some of my Black Handles, I'd place the date post '78. If I can make out the pattern on the handle, that is different from my 78's and earlier, but same as my '84.

Last edited:
The guys have already beat me to identifying it, but allow me to speak for a substantial portion of the collector community when I say FOR THE LOVE OF NOS, PLEASE DON'T OPEN IT.

Last edited:
The guys have already beat me to identifying it, but allow me to speak for a substantial portion of the collector community when I say FOR THE SAKE OF NOS, PLEASE DON'T OPEN IT.

+lots

If youre not interested in having a display razor, sell this one to someone who is and use the money to buy several other razors.

Once its opened, thats it.

the plastic dispenser and the knurling of the handle looks like a black handle Super-Speed from the 80s:

proxy.php

Last edited:
That's awesome! Makes me want to run around to a bunch of super-markets and see what they're hiding behind the counters. I seem to remember my brother having one of these. When I first saw a Super Speed I started having flashbacks of being very young and seeing something like that that my brother had used. Anyway, awesome find! Congratulations!

really???

why? are these rare?

BTW it had a F and 4 on the bottom

They're not rare in the sense that this model is particularly valuable or desirable, but they haven't been produced in thirty-some years, and finding NOS unopened razors of any make or model is unusual. Please, if you're not happy just looking at it sitting on a shelf, sell it to a collector who will, and use the profits to buy several other razors.

Gillette black handle Super Speed, made from 1966 until 1986 (or so) The UPC would place it mid 70's or later (approximate) If you look at an angle under the head, you might be able to make out the date code stamped on the razor, then check on this chart for an exact date.

EDIT: A little to slow for Phil, but we seem to agree:lol:

ANOTHER EDIT: Looking at some of my Black Handles, I'd place the date post '78. If I can make out the pattern on the handle, that is different from my 78's and earlier, but same as my '84.

It's an F, so 1960 according to chart, or am i looking at it wrong? Which might make sense because the blades that it came with have different packaging than the other one in this thread

It's an F, so 1960 according to chart, or am i looking at it wrong? Which might make sense because the blades that it came with have different packaging than the other one in this thread

If you look a little further down the chart, you'll see another "F" at 1985. That's where I'd place your razor, especially since the "Black Handled Super Speed" didn't start until 1966:wink2:

Just as a piece of information, currently there is a new in the package black handle super speed like yours on eBay with a buy it now price of $60. For all I know it is your listing, and who knows if it will sell at that price, but should be some ballpark indication.

Top Bottom