What's new

Barbasol...vs the world of shave cream

Barbasol yellow can with lanolin is a good product.
I keep it in my rotation and use it when I have no time for a quality wet shave.
It is my go-to for very quick shaves.
And with Barbasol I always get good results.
But, again, I use it only when in time trouble.
Shaving with a world class shaving cream, lathered up with a super badger brush is another story...

yes sir

Barbasol is the only "popular" product I can use that doesn't really irritate the heck out of me. I keep some around for travelling.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have a can of Barbasol original that must be 20+ years old and it still works! I used to throw it in a sink of hot water while I showered to get warm lather. The brand has been around for so long that there's nostalgia involved. Very inexpensive AND effective, if it works for you it's definitely worth having; It's available everywhere.

I'll take it travelling usually with disposable single blade bics. I pack really light and only have one brush and one razor at home, which is where I keep it cause I don't want to lose it on vacation.

I don't enjoy using it, that's why. Bad post-shave properties, skin drying and doesn't hydrate during the shave.

I like Barbasol. I've tried a variety of canned foams and gels, and I think Barbasol is the best of the lot...with one exception: Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel. Silky smooth gel that lathers well (on the face, I haven't tried it with a brush), works very well, and I really like the smell (some don't.) The only non-canned lather products I've tried so far are Proraso (in a tub) and Creamo Cream (which I didn't like.) The Proraso works well, but my face feels "tingly" after I shave (which is the only product that does that) and it's not an especially pleasant tingle.

Barbasol is OK. I can't find the lanolin version.

However, Barbasol can't compete on two fronts:

1) Scent. I used Mama Bear Frankincense and Myrhh this morning and there's never been a Barbasol product that smells as great as this soap, and there probably never will be.

2) Satisfaction of clepping a lather. Yes, the Barbasol is fast, but I've actually come to enjoy taking my brush to a soap and generating my own lather. I get great satisfaction out adding just the right amount of water and mixing it with just the right technique to get the lather EXACTLY how I want it. Barbasol takes that satisfaction away from me.
Is Clepping actual a word?

I like Barbasol. I've tried a variety of canned foams and gels, and I think Barbasol is the best of the lot...with one exception: Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel. Silky smooth gel that lathers well (on the face, I haven't tried it with a brush), works very well, and I really like the smell (some don't.) The only non-canned lather products I've tried so far are Proraso (in a tub) and Creamo Cream (which I didn't like.) The Proraso works well, but my face feels "tingly" after I shave (which is the only product that does that) and it's not an especially pleasant tingle.

I would guess it was Proraso Green. The tingle is menthol. If you likes the lather you might try red or white. They don't have menthol.

I would guess it was Proraso Green. The tingle is menthol. If you likes the lather you might try red or white. They don't have menthol.

Have you tried the Cremo bourbon variety? I like the aroma, and for some reason, it seems to work better than the other Cremo varieties I've tried.

I have seen it used in several places, as in clepping out of a college class. Not in the one dictionary I checked though.
Clepping out of a class is based on an acronym. CLEP= College Level Examination Program. So you take a test and if you pass it, you get credit without actually attending the class. That is colloquially known as clepping.

Clepping out of a class is based on an acronym. CLEP= College Level Examination Program. So you take a test and if you pass it, you get credit without actually attending the class. That is colloquially known as clepping.
I knew where it came from, just was trying to say, if you count it as being a word because it's in frequent use, then it's a word. If you don't consider it a word unless it is in a dictionary, it isn't.( at least the one dictionary I checked)

I personally don't care for Barbasol much, would rather wet shave, and if wanted something quick, Aveeno gel probably.

I have a can of the original Barbasol and a travel-size can of the orange (lanolin?). I've used the original mixed with a little water and some Peppermint TOBS cream, lathered up in my scuttle and painted on my already-moisturized face, and allowed to soak in. A good shave indeed.

Time, says I, to try that particular combo again tomorrow!

I kinda like their site, very retro. Is it me or the can didn't changed since the 80s and the push-button is the same since the 70s ^^
I remember the stuff is mentioned in a lyric from the play Guys and Dolls -- you might have seen the Frank Sinatra/Marlon Brando movie.

"When a lazy slob takes a good steady job
And he smells from Vitalis and Barbasol,
Call it dumb, call it clever, ah, but you can get odds forever
That the guy's only doing it for some doll!"

In my marketing class in about 1993, our textbook mentioned that the company (Pfizer, I guess) had relegated Barbasol to "cash cow" status: it was a steady seller, and so no new money was to be spent on it. I didn't know a new company had bought the brand. I thought it was still a cash cow for its owners. But Perio has put a lot of effort behind it.

I remember the stuff is mentioned in a lyric from the play Guys and Dolls -- you might have seen the Frank Sinatra/Marlon Brando movie.

"When a lazy slob takes a good steady job
And he smells from Vitalis and Barbasol,
Call it dumb, call it clever, ah, but you can get odds forever
That the guy's only doing it for some doll!"

In my marketing class in about 1993, our textbook mentioned that the company (Pfizer, I guess) had relegated Barbasol to "cash cow" status: it was a steady seller, and so no new money was to be spent on it. I didn't know a new company had bought the brand. I thought it was still a cash cow for its owners. But Perio has put a lot of effort behind it.

About a year ago, I noticed that Combe invested in a Aqua Velva website and revamped the sticker on the bottles. Can we conclude that the steady milk cow was producing less ?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m 69 years old and have used soaps most of my life. My problem with canned foam is that you get all this foam that doesn’t even touch your face. The only thing that affects your shave is what is directly on your skin with just enough on top to keep it from drying out. All in all, I don’t think it is a big deal. All of them work. It’s just what works for you or what you like.

Top Bottom