What's new

Barbasol...vs the world of shave cream

All he's uses is Barbasol since he had hair on his face...Now my grandfather is over 73 years old and i really got to say he looks very good for his age, maybe good genes or who know...but whats makes other shaving cream better than Barasol..? and is it really worth the money to keep paying for top dollar shaving creams..??? i mean come on a can cost $1.50...DAM!!!!:huh:

Who know?

Hey Barbasol, for canned stuff, is decent--my barber uses it.

But for a buck or two more (and no moar) you can enjoy a really nice cream like Proraso, Godrej, ARKO . . well, you get the idea.

Your gramps if from the generation that believes that a nickel product beats a dime product, every time. My parents are the same way.

I admire the company's dedication to making the product in the USA. I have used it in the past when I was a cartridge guy and I liked it (I admit I bought it because it was cheap). I never thought to try it with a DE. Maybe I will give it a shot with my 1904.

However, Barbasol can't compete on two fronts:
QUOTE]

There's a third reason. Until I joined B&B, I used Barbasol in a can since the 60's. It worked just fine for me at sea level near the coast. However, when I travel to Colo Springs, I need a different cream. The humidity is so low that Barbasol dries up. It does not contain a moisturizer.

When I'm short on time I use the yellow can and a cartridge razor. If I want warm lather I squirt some in my mug and work it around a bit with my brush in a basin of hot water. Much better than applied cold straight from the can. And I get to use my brush.

Clayton

I used Barbasol almost exclusively from my college days until one can before I switched to soaps. I didn't feel I could afford anything "better." Guess it wasn't as bad as I thought! The nearly full can of Colgate I bought before I got my first puck of Surrey glycerin (VDH) and brush sits under the sink. I have been taking cans on trips, but I think that'll change with my cruise in early April. I've seen plenty of good ideas for bring the soaps and 34C with me!

I got Barbasol in a travel version to go on a trip mostly cuz I didn't wanna go out and get another brush/soap combo (even though I did later anyways) and was throughly impressed with it. Now when I use ready to use type of lathers, I don't do any more than two passes (in most circumstances, I do just one) but I never had that skin tightness that other mass market products gave me and it never caused me to rush to put aftershave balm on. It hasn't been in my rotation in a while but I might just go out and grab a can just for the hell of it,

I use Barbasol quite often, mostly because I usually don't get up early enough before work to properly prep and build lather, plus my 3 year old like to stand at the sink with me when I shave. I use other soaps and creams when I do get up early enough or on days off.

I usually soak a bowl and brush while I wash up, then mix up the Barbasol with some water in the bowl. Sort of a quick lather building.

Also, I just picked up a NEW Barbasol. It is sensitive skin in an orange can. It's not even on the website yet. It does have some unusual ingredients - for canned foam: aloe, thyme, papaya extract, and willow bark extract. I am going to try it tomorrow.

All I use while I'm on the road and I'm gone for 2 weeks at a time. Lack of time demands it. But whe I go home I look forward to my proraso or tabac. I use the aloe and get a great shave.

All I use while I'm on the road and I'm gone for 2 weeks at a time. Lack of time demands it. But whe I go home I look forward to my proraso or tabac. I use the aloe and get a great shave.

Noxzema? The Aloe and Lanolin is a dam good can as well but the sensitive is much more readily available. The Aloe I have to buy on line and pay really high shipping costs.

Well, I decided to put my money where my mouth is, and I found a good sale, so I popped $0.77 down on a (green) can of Barbasol + Aloe.

I gave it a try today, and I must say, I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Applying some of what I've learned from wet-shaving in the last two years, I knew that prep is important, so I washed my face twice, first with Burt's Bees bar soap to get it clean, then again with Nivea Double-Acting Face Wash to moisturize. I rubbed my face really well to exfoliate and lift up the whiskers, then rinsed and followed that with a generous dose of Thayer's Lavender.

Now, the Barbasol comes into play. Aside from shaking the can several times, I didn't do anything except squirt some in my left hand and rubbed it thoroughly into my beard, adding a little water as I went along, let it sit for about a minute while I hunted for a razor (Open-Comb Gillette, made in England - Astra blade on shave 2,) then I began to harvest whiskers.

The razor seemed a little harsh at first. I think an HD with Derby would have been a better choice, but the Open-Comb was already loaded and ready to go.

Once I got past the first few strokes, the razor was a lot more gentle. Even more so on the second and third pass. I did my standard three passes, going W-X-ATG.

After rinsing, more Thayer's WH, and Bigelow's #1200 ASB, I was good. Better than DFS, but not quite BBS. With a little more practice with that razor, or using one I was more familiar with, I'm sure I can easily do BBS using Barbasol.

So there you have it. I like Barbasol, and I'm going to keep it around the shave-den ... not just for those times when I'm in a hurry, but because its a darn good product in its own right.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Well, I decided to put my money where my mouth is, and I found a good sale, so I popped $0.77 down on a (green) can of Barbasol + Aloe.

So there you have it. I like Barbasol, and I'm going to keep it around the shave-den ... not just for those times when I'm in a hurry, but because its a darn good product in its own right.

+1 on the Barbasol as the only canned stuff I can tolerate, though I have used it only a couple times on travel in the last year or two - plus they made a smoking razor, pics thanks to Amishmotorboat here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=112779&page=2

I have very sensitive skin, and I've been trying a lot of brands lately. Barbasol and Gillette didn't work well for me at all. I wasn't a fan of Art of Shaving's lavender cream either. I believe the scent was irritating my skin (I'd have bright red skin for two days after shaving).

I recently tried C.O. Bigelow Foam (by Proraso), and it worked like a charm for me. I guess it all depends on your skin. It's not as good as $1, but it's a hell of a lot better than $30. :)

I recently tried the Barbasol green can aloe flavor. It shaved smooth and retained the moisture well. The aroma is pleasant as well. I think it was $1.75 at CVS, so won't break the bank. I have not used it long enough to see if it has any long term skin reaction issues. I like it.

hey Gents, a quick question...

I am going on vacation next week and don't want to lug around my shaving brushes and creams so I stopped by Rite Aid and picked up a can of Noxzema's aloe and lanolin shave foam. Picked it up because it has "lanolin". I've been researching this product online tonight and have come across a few negative reviews claiming that this product broke people out because of the lanolin. But in other reviews people say the lanolin is the kind that doesn't break you out and is very good for your skin. What's the truth? Does anyone know which type of lanolin this product has...is it the good kind or the bad kind? :blushing:

I am going on vacation next week and don't want to lug around my shaving brushes and creams so I stopped by Rite Aid and picked up a can of Noxzema's aloe and lanolin shave foam. Picked it up because it has "lanolin". I've been researching this product online tonight and have come across a few negative reviews claiming that this product broke people out because of the lanolin. But in other reviews people say the lanolin is the kind that doesn't break you out and is very good for your skin. What's the truth? Does anyone know which type of lanolin this product has...is it the good kind or the bad kind? :blushing:

Sam, noxema's a good product so try it before you go on your trip to see if your skin is sensitive to it. Eveyone's skin is different.

Clayton

Lanolin makes your skin very soft and smooth, but some people have reactions to it. There is no "good kind" and "bad kind" of lanolin. All lanolin is both good AND bad, depending on your circumstances. And that's the truth.

I use the red can on trips, along with a cheap DE razor (just in case the TSA takes it). I get acceptable results, but . . .

1. It isn't very moisturizing.
2. It isn't very lubricating.
3. The smell is nothing special.
4. When you wipe foam on your face, there often isn't time for the foam to moisten your whiskers.

So, if you're using a good pre-shave oil for lubrication, you shower first (to moisten your whiskers), you like the smell, and you use a good aftershave balm or live someplace humid, I bet you'll get good results with your Barbasol. And I'll get good results with my Proraso.:001_smile

4. When you wipe foam on your face, there often isn't time for the foam to moisten your whiskers.

There is if you make the time.

I wasn't in any rush when I tried Barbasol+Aloe the other night, so I spent about a minute rubbing it into my beard with just my hand, then let it sit for another minute while I picked out a razor.

I had prepped my face well before-hand, using Nivea Double-Acting Face Wash, followed by Thayer's Lavender. In addition, I mixed a little water in with the canned foam to make it spread a little better.

I got a great shave that night. More than DFS, but not quite BBS.

IMHO, if you're not getting enough moisture when you use Barbasol, its not because of the Barbasol.

Top Bottom