What's new

itching irritated itching skin!!!!

...and did I mention an itch?

Been occurring off and on to varying degrees for weeks now, with occasional rash (probably just due to me scratching). Not very large and subsides fairly quick. Its more like a random flare up of the skin than a full blown rash.

Primarily the itching is on my scalp, shins, sides, and chest. Not always consistent or prolonged, but bloody annoying.

No flaking skin, no dandruff, nothing like that. I'm thinking it could be due in part to the frigid cold and low humidity where I'm staying

Been using the dial All-in-One soap/shampoo stuff mostly, and occasionally alternating in Head & Shoulders for a shampoo. (Typically only wash the hair throughly every other day).

Hair product is mostly Brylcreem and Royal Crown here lately.

Typically the itching gets more intense if I'm "too clean" (ie. having stripped off too much natural oil, etc).

Tried using Vasoline Cocobutter lotion stuff, and it seems to help some but not enough.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I'd go see a doc about it, but I'm working outside of my Insurance coverage area still.

ShaneC
(On the road 7+ Months and counting)

Any ideas/suggestions?

I'd go see a doc about it, but I'm working outside of my Insurance coverage area still.

Sounds painful. First thing I'd evaluate is are you showering with too-hot water? That tends to dry the skin out. Second, on everything but the hair, I would use some hydrocortizone cream if you can get your hands on it.

I feel for you. :( HTH, GL

I've been suffering the same due to winter weather with no humidity. Haven't tried it for myself, but i was told to lather up with baby oil upon finishing with the shower (before drying off). I need to pick some up before the next wave hits...also, drink plenty of water...i find that the better hydrated I am, the less dry my skin feels.

Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Calendula First Aid Lotion

This stuff is fantastic for skin problems. If you have dermatitis or irritated skin it is worth the money. It is found in some shaving products also.

Where are you located? Could be simply the low humidity as elsmooth mentioned. I was experiencing the same thing. Eventually I went out and got a Vick's vaporizer and placed it in my bedroom at night. Worked wonders!!! No more itchy, prickly, painful skin!

My suggestions:

1. As noted, get a humidifier

2. Lose the Dial all-in-one stuff and try a more moisturizing soap, something like Dove or Olay. Use a very gentle shampoo for yourhair.

3. Try a moisturizer like Cetaphil moisturizing cream or lotion instead of the Vaseline stuff. Cetaphil is far superior.

Right now I'm out in Southern IL/Saint Louis area.

With the current weather, the dehumidifier in the basement shows that its set to keep things around 20%...we haven't had any water in it for about 2 months, so it is definitely dry.

I'll see what I can do about the humidifier, soap, and creams then.

Do any of the mentioned cream/lotions have mild or minimal scent? Really don't like smelling like I lathered up with the wife's lotions if I can avoid it.

Do any of the mentioned cream/lotions have mild or minimal scent? Really don't like smelling like I lathered up with the wife's lotions if I can avoid it.
Gold Bond lotion is what I use. No strong scent there and there's always the Nivea for men line of lotions.

Cetaphil is fragrance-free.

I have a dehumidifier in my basement as well. It's currently dormant (showing 25-30% humidity for the past couple of months), and we have humidifiers in the bedrooms. They don't affect the humidity level in the basement.

I will tell you that Cetaphil is more expensive than some other creams, but in my experience it's among the best products out there. (A lot of people really like their skin cleaner as well; but I'm not as crazy about it as I am about the moisturizers. There is a big review of the cleanser in the "reviews" section, I think.)

Last edited:
+1 Drink lots of water.
As mentioned Cetaphil is good, you can also try the brand Eucerin they're body wash and moisturizer they're both great products. Even Aveeno makes some decent products.

Definitely get rid of the all-in-1 wash. You need to use a moisturizing soap. Dove is pretty good, but I've been getting better results with goat's milk soap.

I particularly like the sandalwood scented goat's milk stuff. You may want to look into a men's line for a body moisturizer. Jack Black, Anthony Logistics, Nancy Boy, California North, Men's U, etc... all offer high quality products that will not leave you smelling or feeling like a girl.

Good luck.

I doubt a fungus, but having suffered from fungus brought back from the jungles of Viet Nam for 40 years (nothing kills this stuff) I would encourage a visit to your Doctor. Insurance coverage or not, what ever is the cause, misery relief is worth the money.

Top Bottom