What's new

What am I missing? DE better than Mach 3?

For me, it's not just the fact that I can get as close a shave or even closer with a Mach3, but I enjoy the shave tenfold as compared to a Mach3. And besides that, I can achieve the same outcome for about .10 a blade, compared to 2.00 to 2.50 a blade. The initial start up in DE shaving costs, but you recoup that after a couple of months by the amount saved on the expensive cartridge blades alone. And even more, ever hear of a Father passing down a Mach3 to his son or grandson as an Heirloom? Traditional razors have a character of stability and quality that you cannot get with a piece of plastic.

For years and years my sensitive neck was always red and bumpy. No matter what cartridge I used it was the same thing. And I hated it! My neck is now smooth with no redness and no bumps. Has been since switching to a DE razor. Can you imagine that? Yes it takes longer to shave. But I enjoy that. It is alone time pampering myself, which is something few people do these days. It is also cheaper, more fun, and I get a much closer shave. For me there is no contest.

M

malastine

I agree, somewhat, with Whiskery. I got a BBS shave in no time with a Mach 3 or a Fusion. The problem for me was two fold. First, I hated the cost. I felt like I was getting ripped off every time I had to by new cartridges which would lead me to use a cartridge longer than I should have. Secondly, after one or two shaves the cartridges would start to make me bleed. My whole neck was like one giant weeper. Now with my DE, which I have only been using for two months, I get a good shave, if not BBS, and I don't care when a blade dulls cause it is only $0.10.

Better shave with a mach 3? I have been thinking about this, is there a blade in the DE?

Let's take this step by step, you are among friends.

Set the cartidge razor down gently and just back away and no one will get cartridge razor irritation.

See, that didn't hurt!

best to all and I mean all.
mrscottishman

I am one of the guys who can get a great shave from a Gillette Fusion. I never got any any irritation or razor burn on a simple two pass shave.
I like it a lot and I'm not one to get all that pissed about the cost of the cartridges. In the context of the cartridge world, I do believe it is the best I've ever used.

I like the ritual and finesse required to use a DE, but I wouldn't jump on anybody who prefers a cartridge or twist their arm to throw it out the window.

It does take time, but after I was at the DE about 4 months I can truly match or better my shave with a DE. It takes patience and commitment. Playing with blades, razor angles, creams or soaps. The list is endless. You've got to commit to this to match the shave you've been getting. if whiskery doesn't want to shoot for it, no skin off my ***.

Last edited:
J

JBHemlock

First post here - I wanted to read up on DE shaving techniques. As I recently switched from a Mach 3 to a DE razor, this thread caught my eye.

Part of the reason I switched is economy - Mach 3 cartridges are pricey, while my new Shark blades are 16 cents each. Part of the reason is closeness. The Mach 3 shaved nice and close when new, but I'd always try to stretch more shaves out of a cartridge, since they're pricey.

The main reason, though, is precision. I almost always wear a mustache or a van dyke. With the Mach 3, I never felt like I was getting a really precise border for my facial hair. Ditto for my sideburns. With three blades spaced out over a few mm, all hidden by the cartridge, it was as if my razor had this fog of uncertainty in the line it would shave. My DE razor only has one blade, which is easy to see when I'm shaving in the shower. It makes it nice and obvious what part of my face will get shaved, and what part will not. Instead of the border of my beard wandering around over the weeks, it just stays nice and precise, just where I want it.

I personally get much, much MUCH closer shaves with a DE than I could ever get with a mach. As I type this I'm having to skip my nightly shave 24 hours after my last shave because there's literally not enough hair on my face, and my facial hair doesn't exactly grow slowly. Keep at it, you'll get good shaves with some more practice.

I don't look down on cartridge shavers if they prefer a cartridge. Maybe we need a special sub forum here, Badger and Blades for the multiblade set. Sincerely, I really just don't understand why anyone would say they get a closer shave from a cartridge than a DE. I understand the phenomena that can make an electric shave feel closer since it batters the ends of the whiskers instead of making a sharp cut, but it doesn't last as long since it is a little longer. When I started DE shaving almost 4 decades ago I took off layers of skin. That is pretty close. Do these cartridge shavers take off layers of bone?

Hmmmmm, bone shavers. I thought it was just bone handled straights.

Take your adjustable and loosen the doors, turn it up and then tighten until you feel a positive stop . . .

Cartridge shavers are people too.

Take a Cartridge Shaver to lunch day.

Some of my best friends are Cartridge Shavers.

We are targeting the Cartridge Shaver vote in the next election.

We are a very diverse group here, we have people that eat fast food, people that dial direct, people that speak pig latin and people that eat pigs, people with narrow ties and people with wide ties and we also have Cartridge Shavers.

best,
mrscottishman

Think about what your saying here. You have to make 3 passes with a single blade to get as close as with a triple blade? Well that doesn't seem like rocket science there man. You are basically making 3 passes with your Mach 3 in 1 pass the question I ask though is how much are you spending? $10 for what 4 cartridges? I got 50 derby's for $16 and my DE blades last longer. And my wife certainly thinks I get a smoother shave.

I have to totally agree here...even though I would have probably been a little nicer...but it's totally true. M3- 3 blades in 1 pass. DE- 1 blade, 3 passes and a smoother shave. I don't break out after a shave either anymore.

Also, depending on how new you are...or if your struggling w/ technique...FOR REAL: go to youtube and type in mantic59 and watch his DE shave video's...the guy is awsome!

Last edited:
The reason I started this post was not to Troll or start a fight. I REALLY like the DE shave, I take my time and I like the ritual of it all, When I have time.

The only comment I had that seems to offend some is the closeness of the shave. Maybe I have not found the right blade yet? I just ordered some Israeli blades, I have used Merkur and Gillette so far. I can get a close shave but it takes 3-4 passes, Is this normal ? Do most of you guys make 3-4 passes?

Do you re apply lather for every pass?

The reason I started this post was not to Troll or start a fight. I REALLY like the DE shave, I take my time and I like the ritual of it all, When I have time.

The only comment I had that seems to offend some is the closeness of the shave. Maybe I have not found the right blade yet? I just ordered some Israeli blades, I have used Merkur and Gillette so far. I can get a close shave but it takes 3-4 passes, Is this normal ? Do most of you guys make 3-4 passes?

3-4 passes are normal. Multiple passes is part of the charm! I don't think anyone is offended, just passionate. I can use a Sensor and still get a very good shave but not as good as my '62 Adjustable and a Gillette Yellow. You may have to try many different blades before finding the one for you. You will know when you find it. I forget but did you say you have a brush as well? If you are using canned goo you will not have as good a shave. You will also find creams or soaps that fit your personality/style. I like Creamo (and the way it smells!) but many people don't like the smell. It is a total experience and when you find it you will be hooked. You just have to give it the time it needs.

I've been DE shaving for a couple of years now, and the combination i have settled on for now, (out of the things in my signature) is the Merkur 37 slant and feather blade. This i find very close. However, it feels just too aggressive when braving the ATG pass, so i have to settle for a DFS instead of a BBS shave. I normally do 2 passes WTG and if i've got time i'll go XTG. However, just recently, my Mrs brought me home a load of Fusion blades, so i thought 'what the hell' and had a shave with one. Amazingly, i got a BBS shave on my second pass. One pass WTG, one ATG. It just seems to me that you can be a lot more clumsy with one and get away with it, easily. I'm still DE shaving, but i was amazed at how close i could get. If i'd have gone at that pace with my feather loaded slant ATG, i'd still be in casualty now, getting my face sewn back together!!

proxy.php

Yes, re-lather each pass. It takes a bit longer for sure using shorter strokes and focusing more than you do with a cart. Honestly whiskery, it comes over time.

The cartridges are very forgiving in my use of the them and I can whip through a two pass shave in under 5 minutes. It takes me about 10-12 minutes with a DE.

Finding proper angle for different parts of your face is also tricky. After 5 months+, there are still parts of my face that it is difficult to finesse- especially the hollows of the neck.

I got really good shaves with the Fusion. But the DE is now as good or better. A good 3 pass shave with DE will last longer too.

Yes, re-lather each pass. It takes a bit longer for sure using shorter strokes and focusing more than you do with a cart. Honestly whiskery, it comes over time.

The "right" blade is like enlightenment too. For me, the Derbys were good combination of sharp and forgiving when I first started. I then settled on Astras and now I'm playing with the dreaded Feathers.

The cartridges are very forgiving in my use of the them and I can whip through a two pass shave in under 5 minutes. It takes me about 10-12 minutes with a DE.

Finding proper angle for different parts of your face is also tricky. After 5 months+, there are still parts of my face that it is difficult to finesse- especially the hollows of the neck.

I got really good shaves with the Fusion. But the DE is now as good or better. A good 3 pass shave with DE will last longer too.

This isn't a huge forum because DE or straight razors are simple and easy to use. I love the buzz I get from a great DE shave. You can call us an odd bunch...but it rocks to look forward each day to such a mundane daily task.

Last edited:
I can get a close shave but it takes 3-4 passes, Is this normal ? Do most of you guys make 3-4 passes?

3-4 passes is the standard. The DE razor is not designed to give a close shave in a single pass. It functions on the principal of gradual beard reduction: each pass provides a closer shave than the one previous, until your face is hair free, and super smooth.

You must re-lather between each pass with the DE razor, or you will suffer really bad razor burn, and irritation. Shaving over any area that is un-lathered is a bad idea with any razor, not just the DE.

Whiskery!

Glad to see you back.

I think the Israeli Personnas are great blades and I think you said you had some quality creams and soaps too, so you are set to go. One thing I would recommend if you have sensitive skin or razor bumps (like I did big time when I shaved with a cartridge) I would use a pre shave oil. For me, it just adds some good lubrication and helps the blade glide a bit better.

I also prep for a while. Wet hot towel for at least a minute. Then pre shave oil, then use an Arko shave stick right on face, then use a brush and face lather some Tabac over the whole mess. I know it is overkill, but I enjoy it and I get supersmooth, irritation free shaves.

I only do two passes though, my first pass is with the grain, then re apply cream and second pass is a clean up shave. Just getting the spots I missed. I know this isn't the norm but with my history of razor bumps and irritation, this works well for me. It's a surprisingly close shave for just two passes.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom