What's new

Four straights - any decent?

Gentlemen, I am a newbie to wetshaving, and while I plan on sticking with DEs until I get the basics down, I was discussing my new passion with a family acquaintance and she said she had 4 old straight razors she would sell/give me if interested. I don't know her well enough to accept them all as a gift, so wanted to pay her around $10 a piece on any of them that would be considered good shaving candidates (with the required TLC, of course). I know the picture below is small, but could you give me your opinion on which one(s) I should buy?

picture.php

To my completely untrained eye, the two in the middle seem the best, but that is pure speculation. Sorry again, for the small picture. Much appreciated.

I'd probably just buy the second from the top. The third from the top looks like it's in the best shape, but with that picture, who can tell, and I like the 2nd's scales the best out of the four.

Thanks guys. I will try to find out if there is any manufacturer information. Otherwise, I'll go with the two that passed the eyeball test!

Heck, why not just go with all of them? even one or two are duds, there's a good chance that there are NICE razors in that there bunch

even if you only give $10 for each, that's still better then what a razor on the 'bay would sell for, especially if it has a "wanted" brand (filimonica, dubleduck, etc)

LaughingAtFate, I took your advice and grabbed all 4, for $30. Will post new pics when I get them. Thanks!

and if they all turn out to be W&B 8/8s, we shall all hate you terribly! :lol:

Seriously though, four 'decentish' razors for under $10 each is damn fine value, Nothing wrong with having multiple razors either...

*awaits pictures*

Top Bottom