What's new

Shoe Polish Recommendations

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Does anyone have any good recommendations for shoe polish?

For years I only used Kiwi and spit shined my shoes to a high gloss. About 4 years ago I switched to Johnston & Murphy. I really like the way this stuff works, especially on my cordovan cap toes. I haven't found any locally, but just replenished at the Johnston & Murphy store at the airport in Cincinnati. I scored a couple of pairs of shoes as well.:smile:

So anyway, what do you find works best?

I use Meltonian -- more like a cream than Kiwi or Lincoln, and comes in a much wider variety of colors. Kiwi Select is a similar cream, but doesn't have the color variety.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I originally used Propert's, which I bought at the store where I bought all my shoes, and then my shoe guy switched to Moneysworth and Best because Propert's had "gone downhill".

I've used the M&B ever since with good results, although recently I picked up a jar of Woly in an obscure colour from my favourite shoe repair place, and have used it only once (seems good).

I've never used Kiwi, in part because I've heard some unflattering things about it, but obviously I can't back that up with personal experience.

The military has always shined with Kiwi, which is the only thing that I use on the rare occasions that I need to shine up a shoe.

M

modern man

Kiwi,

Kiwi parade gloss for inspections and I have never failed one. (put it on the shoe and take a lighter to it, no spit needed).

MTSSB should be here soon to give you the professional knowledge.
:lol:

Your in a good place already Johnston & Murphy IMO is one of the best. Either way stick to a cream. I can not remember why but I have heard from both J&M and A&E not to use paste.

Kiwi,

Kiwi parade gloss for inspections and I have never failed one. (put it on the shoe and take a lighter to it, no spit needed).

+1 on the parade gloss, nothing spit shines like it (especially if you are using a flame.) Regular kiwi for everyting else. My penny loafers are even spit shined, it a hard habbit to break:biggrin:

Kiwi is the only way to go for a hard cap shine.

But every once in a while you need to strip it all off and go at the shoe with a conditioner/moisturizer otherwise you can start to get cracks.

I use the Lincoln brand. Somewhere I read that the Marines use it for a spit shine, but I can't verify that, and the guy who repairs my shoes recommends it. It does work well.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I originally used Propert's, which I bought at the store where I bought all my shoes, and then my shoe guy switched to Moneysworth and Best because Propert's had "gone downhill".

I've used the M&B ever since with good results, although recently I picked up a jar of Woly in an obscure colour from my favourite shoe repair place, and have used it only once (seems good).

I've never used Kiwi, in part because I've heard some unflattering things about it, but obviously I can't back that up with personal experience.

Is it carnuba based? Or is it a cream?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I use the Lincoln brand. Somewhere I read that the Marines use it for a spit shine, but I can't verify that, and the guy who repairs my shoes recommends it. It does work well.

If it's good enough for the Marines, I'll probably like it. Do you know of any national chain stores that carry it?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I really like Allen-Edmonds shoe cream, but it is pricy.

Tim

I have some Allen-Edmonds that I got when I bought my light brown cap toes at the Allen-Edmond store near Milwaukee. I couldn't get a high gloss finish with it though. I finally topped them off with Wren's neutral carnuba wax.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Your in a good place already Johnston & Murphy IMO is one of the best. Either way stick to a cream. I can not remember why but I have heard from both J&M and A&E not to use paste.

I really like the J&M, it's just hard to find.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Kiwi,

Kiwi is great in black and even brown. However, I have a hard time finding cordovan and light brown. That was the biggest reason I started using J&M.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks for all the great replies. I'm looking forward to what MTSSB has to say.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Is it carnuba based? Or is it a cream?

I checked the jars ... no mention of contents, but they're all described as (and are) creams. Checking the Propert's jars, I see they are made my Kiwi, and that made me remember that my Shoe Guy said they went 'downhill' once Kiwi bought them out. I never came across a pre-Kiwi jar of Propert's to compare, so you'll have to take this second-hand opinion without my personal comparison.

my father was military and i spent four great years shining shoes in the Sanitary Barbershop...hence the name....

I always used Kiwi.....it covers the best and it is usually available in any store...

I have used Lincoln many years ago, but I don't remember it to well. I almost bought some JM polish to try out...but I think my shave creams and soaps now out number my tins of polish.....

so to answer your questions....KIWI

but you know I have never seen the parade variety....

mark the shoeshine boy

Top Bottom