Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got laser hair removal (beard)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Got laser hair removal (beard)

I'm new here...figured some people may be interested in my experience with laser hair removal for the beard....sorry for the length, but i thought i'd cover as much as possible. Don't go to any spa type places, esepcially for the beard, you want to go somewhere that only does laser and has a lot of experience doing beards. One thing i learned is that most spas tell you to get a treatment every few weeks, you end up with 6-8, or more, treatments overall. Well thats not true. You need a treatment every 3 months. This is how it goes:

-After treatment all treated hair is burned off the root. some will fall off instantly, others will take approx a week to slide out of the follicle.

- For about 2 months after that, you'll be "hair free". If during this time you have hair that didnt fall out it means they missed a spot. Some spas tell you another treatment is needed around this time, but you shouldnt have to pay for what they missed.

- b/t 2-3 months after you'll see hair slowly start to grow back in. this is what wasn't killed or hair that was dormant. Again, some places will expect you to come back in during this time at the first sign of growth, but dont. Wait until 3 months has passed completely and all the new hair growth is in.

- the place i went to said under this schedule you should only need 3 treatments, spread 3 months apart to get max results. So far i'm only one treament in, but it's been 3 months and i experienced everything i wrote earlier, which is what they had explained to me prior to treatment.

I went in hoping to do the neck and all of my beard in two separate visits, within a week, first neck then face. I did neck first:

- pain was bearable, i only flinched a bit when they treated right below the jaw

- i never had any redness after, just a bit on my adas apple, slight swlling around the follicles, but was gone the next day. for soem reason i did break out at the corner of my jaw, below my ear.

Because of the break out, i chickened out from doing my bread, and instead just did the cheek area, which would leave a sculpted line on the top part of the beard area.

- pain was worse, flinched every single time, bearable, but definitely hurt. didnt use numbing cream either time. Broke out again, upper cheek area just had very small folliculitis-like bumps, which went away within a few days. The lower cheeks were the same, but i did get an ingrown there on each side. I think it was due to it beingmore sensitive, which means more swelling and therefore more likely to trap a hair.

-the swelling was never bad, very slight for the most part.

I think the reason i broke out on the corners of my jaw and cheeks is because my beard area tends to dry up more than my neck due to sun exposure, sweating , etc. So it probably caused more irritation there.

As for the results, i'm due for my second treatment in each area and i have to say i like the way it "thinned out" my hair after just one treatment. Not much visual difference on my cheeks since there was much hair there to begin with and treatments remove roughly 30% every time, but my neck area is viisbly different. Hair isn't as coarse, feels more like forearm hair, i can finally shave it and look clean shaven instead of having a shadow.

Let me explaining the "thinning" of the hair. It's believed that the laser literally thins each hair that isnt killed, but that's not true. The laser can't change the hair itself, it only kills it or doesnt. What happens is that your beard has a certain number of coarse hairs, a certain number of finer hairs, and a certain number of vellus hairs. the laser will mostly kill the coarse and some of the fine hair that is currently "alive", so it's leaving you with a lower % of coarse and fine hair with each treatment. So now i have mostly only fine hair and vellus hair. Laser hair removal wont remove all the hair, even after the 3 treatments, but it should only leave behind the vellus hair for the most part.

as for patchyness....i was worried about this, but the only patchyness i had was around my jawline and a small area under my adam's apple and this was during the "hair free" period. Most peopel think this is because the hair resisited treatment, but it seesm to be spots the tech missed and didnt treat. Since was suppose to do the whole face initially, i thinks he got sloppy under my jaw line and didnt make a clean line, so she missed spots. When i did the top beard line it was a straight line, no missed spots. Patches arent really visible now though since some fine hair grew in and even i can only notice it if i let it grown out.

I dont remember the price off the top of my head, but they had some special going on, for 3 treatments of "sculpted beard", which is basically the neck and the top ofthe beard/cheek area, it was approx $875. And make sure to read the cancellation policies, usually you have to pay canc fees. I would recommend just buying one single treatment first instead of gettign a package, just so you know what you're getting into. so as of now i'm trying to decide what to do next. I dont mind the hair on my neck much anymore. Less prickly, easier to shave, etc. I can deal with it. I may stop the treatments on my neck and get one treatment on my beard to even it up, it's not that visibly uneven, but the feel is different.
    Last edited by HTX; 02-14-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will never do that, but thanks for the informative post.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Good informative post!

I might end up spending that amount on straights this year but I enjoy it!
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

very informative, id personally spend the money on razors but its always good to hear honest feedback on, well, anything, so thanks keep us updated on how the next two go.
    "Whenever I'm faced with a decision, I ask myself 'Would an idiot do that?' and if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." Dwight Schrute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you trying to shut this site down? We enjoy the shaving process here.

Images
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Thanks!

I didn't get a chance to read this earlier because I was busy posting my experience with making your own fur coat at the PETA web site.
    Phil

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the replies

I actually enjoy shaving now like most of you here. I took me a while to find the right regimen and tools to use. Cheap gel caused too much drag and multiple blades caused too many ingrowns. Plus i'm in my mid 20s and my skin has been going from teenage oily to adult dry(er), so it made it difficult stick to any product for a significant amount of time.

More than likely i wont go through all the treatments, mainly because i dont want to regret it afterward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This reminds me I still need to post my recipe for the bacon explosion over at the Viva Vegan! forum.

Seriously, thanks for the informative (if odd) post.
    Last edited by Governor11201; 02-14-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    Everett: Hold on, now. I don't want this pomade. I want Dapper Dan.

Clerk: I don't carry Dapper Dan. I carry Fop.

Everett: Well, I don't want Fop, for Pete's sake! I'm a Dapper Dan man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Governor11201 View Post
    This reminds me I still need to post my recipe for the bacon explosion over at the Viva Vegan! forum.

lol!!! As a vegetarian, I can say that it the grossest thing I have EVER seen!! Do people really eat that? It is soooo shiny!! lol!
    Friends Don't Let Friends Shave with Williams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually had a slice last week. One of my favorite pubs in Brooklyn had it on special as an appetizer. Oooh...bacon wrapped bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmysuper View Post
    Thanks!

I didn't get a chance to read this earlier because I was busy posting my experience with making your own fur coat at the PETA web site.
    hahaha probably the funniest post ever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by luvmysuper View Post
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jswhitley View Post
    hahaha probably the funniest post ever!
    It's definitely up there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good read, thanks for sharing your experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the informative, sublimely ironic post. I've always been curious about it.

While I (now) love shaving, the idea of never having to shave at all has its own appeal. It does sound as if you'll still need to do some maintenance even after the treatment though, in which case what's the point?

Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I prefer to use Nair as a pre-shave oil, with a hot wax peel aftershave.

BBS everytime!
    One, two! One, two! and through and through...The Vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shaving is own. I would rather drop $800 on some razors and a ton of soaps, creams, and oils.

But to each his own.
    Double pits to chesty!!!
    :thumbdown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What if you ever wanted to grow a beard!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Governor, what IS that?!

It looks positively delicious!!!
    [url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/3738&t=mycollection&p=1&s=hn]Link to [B][COLOR="Green"]Basenotes[/COLOR][/B] fragrance wardrobe[/url]
    [COLOR="DimGray"]Lately I've been wearing:[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="gray"]Arcus, Blenheim Bouquet, Burberry London, Chergui, Domenico Caracini, Endymion, C&S No. 88, Original Santal, Racquets Formula, Reflection[/COLOR]

[url=http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:Scentronic]Shaving Setup[/url]

Plano TX, but I wish I was in the mountains
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Governor11201 View Post

I like the way it's sliced and put in a bun. That way none of the drippings are lost.
    Jp - Horse power is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you drag it behind you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Governor, what IS that?!

It looks positively delicious!!!
    That, my friend, is a Bacon Explosion. Two pounds of Italian sausage and crisp bacon seasoned with barbecue rub lovingly wrapped in lattice of thick sliced bacon, slow smoked then glazed with piquant sauce.

I've had a couple of pm's on this asking for the recipe so here's the link, which also has the (very key) assembly instructions.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

Share and enjoy!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast