What's new

Merkur vs Gillette

I never really considered buying a vintage razor.

The way I look at it, I wanted to start with something new, and at the same time support a company that's "still in the game"

Gillette is still 'in the game, they just make crappy razors now!

I've got a Merkur Vision and HD.

Yesterday I received my 1966 Gillette Slim Adjustable which I bought from one of the fine gents here. This morning's shave was on '2' which was relatively close and very comfortable. Far less agressive than either of my Merkurs.

I'll be sticking with the Gillette for a while. :thumbup:

I've got a Merkur Vision and HD.

Yesterday I received my 1966 Gillette Slim Adjustable which I bought from one of the fine gents here. This morning's shave was on '2' which was relatively close and very comfortable. Far less agressive than either of my Merkurs.

I'll be sticking with the Gillette for a while. :thumbup:

Wait till you crank that baby up little i love running my adjustable starting high and then lower for each pass 7-9/4-6/1-3. Heaven right there:biggrin:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
There are so many "flavors" of vintage Gillettes I really never looked into a New DE by a current manufacturer. I'm sure they are very nice because several active members of this and other shaving forums either swear by them or have them in their rotation. I guess I've always liked things with a history of sorts and with proper cleaning and sterilization techniques, you can use a vintage razor which has a quality that stands the test of time. That is my only explanation for the surge in prices of used equipment, ( Which is another subject all together and has been well discussed in other threads.)

I'm partial to the vintage Gillettes.
With a good cleaning (after all the BLADES are brand new on ANY razor you try...) they are just as sanitary as a new Merkur (unless you keep your merkur in an alcohol bath, or an autoclave or something) and have a little connection to the past, not to mention they give a great shave.
I also feel that over all, the old Gillettes are better engineered than the equivalent Merkurs, with one or two exceptions (I'm sure some will disagree here)
I do have a Merkur slant I like alright, but a black long handle adjustable and a fatboy are usually my two "go-to" DE's on days I use those.
John P.

but when is the last time they produced a DE safety razor? (that was my point)

Don't knock it to you try it, The quality is amazing you can look at 50,60,70,80,90 even year old razors that are still like new. I started with Merkurs new thinking the same thing I already sold one of my Merkurs and the others will probably end up going. There is something also real cool about shaving with a razor that old! You might like the Merkurs more like plenty do but something worth trying. :biggrin: PS If you get hooked we are not to blame:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I own a Merkur Classic, a slantbar, and several Gillettes: '56, '57, and '58 Superspeeds, Fatboy, slim adjustable, black-handle adjustable, 3 New razors.

This is definitely personal preference, but I like the Merkur Classic best. I think it's because of the way the razor bends the blade.

In the Merkur the blade is curved to almost match the curve of the head. The Gillettes hold it at a flatter angle. For me it's easier and more natural to find the right angle with the Merkur than with any of the Gillettes.

That's my opinion for now. Ask me next month and I might have a different answer.

I have 2 Gillette razors (a Red Tip and a Slim Adjustable) and one Merkur (Progress). I like the more refined modern-yet-classic look of the Merkur Progress but the quality is no where near that of any Gillette.

Shaving wise, I just got the Merkur but so far I really like it. The Slim is currently my favorite but I have a Silver English Aristocrat on the way and I have a feeling it may be my next favorite.

I have a Merkur HD and a Gillette New, long comb. The Gillette wins, but not by much. I will buy another Gillette before I buy another Merkur.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I have the Merkur's 23C & 38C and love :001_tt1: them both equally. :lol1:

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".

I can't compare razors because I don't own a Gillette.

Christopher
proxy.php
"A razor can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet." Anonymous

I started off with a Merkur 34c, then I got myself an EJ 89L. I was very happy with both. I have now acquired couple of vintage Gillettes.
If I can choose (which I can) I'm picking the Gillettes 10 out of 10 times. The feeling is so much better and they are much prettier to look at.

I have a merkur classic and I really like it. My dad has used his gillette slim since he was 13 or so and it has been the only de razor he has ever used gets great shaves with it too.

I like the shaves that my Merkur Progess gives me. However, my Super Adjustable is almost it's equal in shave, and is superior in quality and construction. If Merkur were to only beef up it's quality in the Progess it might be a serious contender in the quality dept.

I have been trying a variety of different types from Lady Gillettes, Aristocrats, open combs, Gillette & Mekur, adjustables & non adjustables, and finding I like the Mekur slant best. I only started DE shaving after Christmas, had a very few nicks & scrapes, nothing bad and rarely get one now.

Currently my biggest problem is consistantly making good lather but will get there eventually. Yesterday I went ahead and order one of the Mekur barber pole(sledgehammer) slants for the longer handle which I find I prefer to the shorter handles.

At first I was apprehensive using the slant after reading how aggressive they were, but I find them no worse than anything else. I started using the infamous Feather blades and have had no problems. I came over to DE after using a Fusion for about 4 months after nearly 30 years of an electric.

I shave with old Gillettes (Single Ring, Fatboy, Red Tip) and a Merkur HD. the HD is still the best shave out of all of them. I find the shape of the head easier to use than any of the TTO's. its exactly the right level of aggression; I can put in a Derby or Personna and have a mild shave...... or a Feather/yellow 7 o'clock for an aggressive shave. I still have a soft spot for the Single Ring & Fatboy though - I can get satisfactory shaves out of them, and its pretty cool shaving with a razor that's 91 years old.

Not regarding blades, Gillettes are better shavers. Especially if that Gillette happens to be an Aristocrat Jr.

Of course, they pale in comparison to the Joris. :drool::001_tt2:

Top Bottom