What's new

Fixing a Broken Comb tooth

I recently got a razor and when I recieved it I noticed that one of the tooths was missing on it's comb. My mom knows several jewelers (she's just as into jewelry as I am into DE's lol), is it possible for them to solder on a new tooth and fix my broken comb? Thanks in advance

V

VR6ofpain

Do you even have the tooth? Are you going to fab one out of a piece of brass? Sounds like you should just get a different razor.

You need to ask "buddy dog" he's a jeweler.
Seems to me it would be a pretty slick piece of silver soldering and then you'd still have to replate.

Can it be super-glued?

Come on dude, super glue is worthless stuff.
I tried super glue on a hair brush handle and it snapped right back off.
Silver solder is definitely the way to go, but if could do it I'd be wanting $20 + for the job and you'd still need a replate.

I doubt he's got the tooth anyway. I think fabing a new one would be in order, and Buddy Dog did post once that teeth can be replaced, but that it was costly if I recall correctly. I'd contact him for correct info, but I wouldn't get my hopes up of having it be cheap (probably way more than the razor cost initially, depending on what it is of course).

If the razor is an otherwise nice Double Ring or a Bulldog I would go through the trouble and expense of the repair. But if it's an Old Type ball end pocket razor just forget about it and look for another one with lots of plating loss and use the comb blade guard as a replacement.

What model razor is it?

Len

Mine is a 1920 Bostonian. The only reason I really wanted to replace the tooth is because it's such a good looking razor except for the absent tooth. Now that I know it will probably cost more than the razor, I don't think I'll go through with it though lol

Come on dude, super glue is worthless stuff.
I tried super glue on a hair brush handle and it snapped right back off.
Silver solder is definitely the way to go, but if could do it I'd be wanting $20 + for the job and you'd still need a replate.

Well superglue was only ever designed for skin......

Mine is a 1920 Bostonian. The only reason I really wanted to replace the tooth is because it's such a good looking razor except for the absent tooth. Now that I know it will probably cost more than the razor, I don't think I'll go through with it though lol

Well, the Bostonian is more valuable than the typical open comb vintage Gillette. Plus, I wouldn't take our word for it alone. You owe it to yourself to at least obtain a quote. Why not shoot a pic of it to Buddy Dog and ask how costly it might be?

Top Bottom