What's new

Australian Whisky - Lark Distillery

I am a big fan of single malt whisky, and have been slowly working my way through many Scottish single malts from varying areas (Islay, Highland, Speyside etc) with the help of Michael Jackson's Malt Whisky Companion. My tastes generally tend to be in line with Jackson's, apart for a few exceptions, Macallan being one.

Recently I was fortunate enough to be given a couple of miniatures of single malt from Lark Distillery, a whisky distillery in Tasmania, Australia. Being Australian myself, I was very interested to see how this whisky compared to Scottish single malts. The miniatures I had were taken straight from the cask, one being whisky matured in a sherry cask and the other port. I will attempt to review these whiskies but be advised I am no expert!

Sherry - nose was malty, with sweet sherry tones, palate was smooth initially then a touch rough at the end (however a little water smoothed it right out). Finish was drying. Overall it was quite a good whisky, comparable (in my opinion) to Aberlour, but not quite as good.

Port - nose was huge, big port/grape aroma along with maltiness, palate was smooth and sweet, gradually filling the mouth with sweet warmth. Finish was long, leaving the port taste behind (in a good way). Overall, I absoutely loved this whisky and I was really surprised that it was distilled in Australia. I haven't had any Scottish single malt that compares. The port is evident throughout each stage of tasting, but you don't have to like port to enjoy this whisky (as I generally don't like port).

I have no idea if Lark Distillery whisky is available overseas, but if you're a whisky drinker and get the opportunity to try either of these whiskies, do so. You will be pleasantly surprised :w00t:.

Luc, I thought I remembered seeing something about Lark before but couldn't think where the thread was. I should have just added my review to your thread but anyway....

Definitely try the Lark next. Bushranger was right, it is like a Speyside whisky.

Apparently, Ian lives right next to Lark...

Yep,
I live in a barrel ( it is a nice one though and much nicer than the cardboard box inna middle o da road )..........:lol:

Depending on what the rules are for shipping alkeyhole nationally and internationally, anyone who's interested let me know.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yep,
I live in a barrel ( it is a nice one though and much nicer than the cardboard box inna middle o da road )..........:lol:

Depending on what the rules are for shipping alkeyhole nationally and internationally, anyone who's interested let me know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I still need to visit the bottle shop in Melbourne, didn't go around there yet...

Top Bottom