What's new

First DE shave...

and I have to admite...although I wanted to be one of those testimonies of an amazing first shave but and I'm not...it was still a good shave. Requires a lot more technique, which is part of the art. And I did take a little chunk out of my nicely rounded beard. But it was still a good shave.:wink2: No BBS for shure...but still better than the last few years of my M3:wink2:

Got a couple weepers and mild razor burn.:crying: But I'm crackin it up to the crystal blade. Needed about 6 passes to get a good shave. 3 to many for me. I'm gonna give it a couple weeks on these guys and if no change. Movin on to the Derby's.:001_tt2:

Used a 61 Gillette SS(real mild shaver or at least it seems), Crystal blade, some well lathered williams(and yes I've mastered the beast that williams is) and a little Nivea balm.

What sort of prep work did you do before the shave? for the next shave, before any aggressive ATG passes put any kind of lotion on the skin under your shaving cream, and only hold the razor with 2-3 fingertips.. I have very sensitive skin, and I got BBS shaves with even my least favorite blades with this technique.. even if you 'think' that you're not using too much pressure, after years of cartride shaving you will have to unlearn those habits for great DE shaves!

and I have to admite...although I wanted to be one of those testimonies of an amazing first shave but and I'm not...it was still a good shave. Requires a lot more technique, which is part of the art. And I did take a little chunk out of my nicely rounded beard. But it was still a good shave.:wink2: No BBS for shure...but still better than the last few years of my M3:wink2:

Got a couple weepers and mild razor burn.:crying: But I'm crackin it up to the crystal blade. Needed about 6 passes to get a good shave. 3 to many for me. I'm gonna give it a couple weeks on these guys and if no change. Movin on to the Derby's.:001_tt2:

Used a 61 Gillette SS(real mild shaver or at least it seems), Crystal blade, some well lathered williams(and yes I've mastered the beast that williams is) and a little Nivea balm.

+1 on the above advice

Prep the hell out of your face before you ever even pick up a razor....
warm shower,
then hot wet towel on face for a few minutes,
then use a pre oil, or olive oil if you have it,
then lather up over the oil with a decent brush,
then shave...light pressure,
then after one pass re wet with hot water and re-apply shave cream before each pass...
dont do more than three passes for now.

I promise if you prep like this, you wont even feel the hairs being cut and you wont need more than three passes.

I did my first DE shave yesterday. Only brave enough for two passes for now with a Merkur 38C and Derby blades. I do appreciate all the help I've received from reading the forums on this website. Very helpful. Don't know if it is me being nervous about slicing up my face, but that razor sure does get heavy after a while!

Crystals were the first blades I tried and I found them to be dull and not sharp enough for my beard. They tugged the hair rather than cutting it. I would definitely work on your technique and prep also, but trying a different blade may make a big difference. After two tries with the Crystal, I knew they weren't for me. My favorite blades right now are Iridiums but YMMV.

You're on the right track with the superspeed and Nivea, btw. I would also pick up some witch hazel to slap on your face before putting the Nivea on.

I also found that the crystals did not work for me. i ended up liking the red personas. they seem to work well with all my DE razors. like others have said, a good prep will go a long way. welcome to the forum.

+1 on the above advice

warm shower,
then after one pass re wet with hot water and re-apply shave cream before each pass...

I promise if you prep like this, you wont even feel the hairs being cut and you wont need more than three passes.

Excellent advice!

Pete

+1 on the above advice

warm shower,

Hmm, you can use Olive Oil? I'll have to try that sometime..

Crystals were the first blades I tried and I found them to be dull and not sharp enough for my beard. They tugged the hair rather than cutting it. I would definitely work on your technique and prep also, but trying a different blade may make a big difference. After two tries with the Crystal, I knew they weren't for me. My favorite blades right now are Iridiums but YMMV.

You're on the right track with the superspeed and Nivea, btw. I would also pick up some witch hazel to slap on your face before putting the Nivea on.

already picked up some thayers...and yeah, I think it's the crystals. My prep was to the T and my lather was slick as slick can get...good prep...but, prolly technique and blades.

Top Bottom