What's new

Electric to DE: the evolution

Hello fellow B&B'rs :) I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and tell my story of why the electric and Mach3 are being trashed for this new way of life. I've been shaving for the better part of 15 years. It was great when I first started. Oh the enjoyment of breaking out the Gillette Sensor 2 blade and smearing on the Colgate shave cream just like dad used to do! In college convenience and time trumped the ol' Gillette which was replaced by a Norelco Lift 'N Cut electric. Purchasing a few more electrics over the years I tried to bring back the enjoyment by using powders, pre-shaves, etc. All of which brought no joy and still left my face with red burns on occassion. Which leads me here today. As with all things that peak my interest, I jump in head first which leads to getting swamped by all the details. What to choose....single or double edge....short and skinny or long and fat handles...soaps or creams...boar, badger, or pure...what's a guy to do? Hell, half the fun of this process has been deciding which new toys to buy! I like the nostalgia of the older razors. How cool would it be to use a a razor that's 60 years old or more?! Screw the fancy Merkur's and you too Parker. No, you don't make the cut (see what I did there?). It's a classic Gillette all the way! Look out Ebay. There is soon to be one less vintage safety razor on the market!

Welcome matey ,

I was on the same path up until a a few months ago. Still use my Seiko electric shaver I bought in Japan a year ago , for the wake up late - gotta get out the door for work - moments ! I agree it gets very overwhelming with all the details (soaps or creams...boar, badger, or pure...what's a guy to do?) as you said.

All the best and enjoy the glide !

Escosse73

hello fellow b&b'rs :) i wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and tell my story of why the electric and mach3 are being trashed for this new way of life. I've been shaving for the better part of 15 years. It was great when i first started. Oh the enjoyment of breaking out the gillette sensor 2 blade and smearing on the colgate shave cream just like dad used to do! In college convenience and time trumped the ol' gillette which was replaced by a norelco lift 'n cut electric. Purchasing a few more electrics over the years i tried to bring back the enjoyment by using powders, pre-shaves, etc. All of which brought no joy and still left my face with red burns on occassion. Which leads me here today. As with all things that peak my interest, i jump in head first which leads to getting swamped by all the details. What to choose....single or double edge....short and skinny or long and fat handles...soaps or creams...boar, badger, or pure...what's a guy to do? Hell, half the fun of this process has been deciding which new toys to buy! I like the nostalgia of the older razors. How cool would it be to use a a razor that's 60 years old or more?! Screw the fancy merkur's and you too parker. No, you don't make the cut (see what i did there?). It's a classic gillette all the way! Look out ebay. There is soon to be one less vintage safety razor on the market!

welcome matey ,

i was on the same path up until a a few months ago. Still use my seiko electric shaver i bought in japan a year ago , for the wake up late - gotta get out the door for work - moments ! I agree it gets very overwhelming with all the details (soaps or creams...boar, badger, or pure...what's a guy to do?) as you said.

All the best and enjoy the glide !

Escosse73

I welcome both of you to B&B!!!

Don't get to hung up on all the varieties...just get a decent mild shaver like a Gillette Tech or a 40's or 50's superspeed, get a decent brush, a good soap like Geo Trumpers or Tabac and go to town.

Light touch...light pressure when you shave, prep your face well before shaving, a hot wet towel will make a HUGE difference, and off you go towards your perfect shave.

You will have plenty of time to get this right as you will be doing it almost every day for the rest of your life, so take your time and enjoy it!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. ok?

As with all things that peak my interest, I jump in head first which leads to getting swamped by all the details. What to choose....single or double edge....short and skinny or long and fat handles...soaps or creams...boar, badger, or pure...what's a guy to do?

First off, welcome to the forum!

Second... http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/peaked.html Sorry, I've gotta do something with my bachelor's degree in English.

Third... I'd say go with a DE razor, as that seems to be more supported here (as in there's more folks around here with experience with DE razors who can share tips with you as you learn a new way to shave). As far as the rest, just pick something and run with it as you learn your technique. I think going with the simplest razor is the best way to start (I have a Merkur long-handled classic, I'm just a month in). There's plenty of time for RAD, ASAD, etc. in the coming years.

And again: welcome to B&B!

-Jeremy

Thanks for the welcome guys! I will definately post on my results once the gear is aquired. After all the reading I've done (and the sharp last minute increases of the ebay DE auctions) I'm leaning toward a SE 1912 model. A lot of people have raved about them. It looks like it will be more forgiving than the open combs DE's for a new user. Whichever is chosen as the first razor, both types will eventually end up in the collection.

oceanjeremy - Thanks for the correction. I've NEVER seen the correct spelling used. Leave it to the French to throw of 99.9% of American's (the other .1% being those with English degrees :D) when it comes to word spelling and meaning.

oceanjeremy - Thanks for the correction. I've NEVER seen the correct spelling used. Leave it to the French to throw of 99.9% of American's (the other .1% being those with English degrees :D) when it comes to word spelling and meaning.

Ha, I almost minored in French, too, which makes it even more unfair. And all this education served perfectly to prepare me for my current career as a bartender.

Good luck with the new razor, and look me up if you need anything proofread or chilled over rocks with a twist.

-Jeremy

Welcome to B&B!

Make sure you visit the B/S/T where you can find a reasonable price on a 'old' Gillette DE.

BTW, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! You will be assimilated!!!!

marty

I have been at this exactly seven days and have already accumulated four vintage Gillette razors. I think the most expensive one was $3. Bought them at a junk shop or a flea market. They are all quite workable and I have shaved with each of them.

You can't go wrong with some old Gillettes.

I have been at this exactly seven days and have already accumulated four vintage Gillette razors. I think the most expensive one was $3. Bought them at a junk shop or a flea market. They are all quite workable and I have shaved with each of them.

You can't go wrong with some old Gillettes.

I'll be browsing the antique shops tomorrow. Ebay isn't workout out for me. Too many bidders coming in at the last 3 seconds taking away my precious 1912's :(

I'll be browsing the antique shops tomorrow. Ebay isn't workout out for me. Too many bidders coming in at the last 3 seconds taking away my precious 1912's :(

there is a buy/sell/trade forum here. great place to buy from people who know what they are selling you. but man, you gotta think fast!!!

Where's your bar, and how are you on dry martinis? I'm in Bensonhurst, where there just aren't any good bars.

I work at Clem's, in Williamsburg. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 on. And my best martini is Beefeater, slightly damp with a twist- though if you want it dry or with vodka and olives, I'm good at that too. Classic cocktails are one or my specialties. Drop in and introduce yourself and I'll buy your first round!

And we have to talk about wet shaving when you drop in, or else this post is off topic for the forum!

-Jeremy

Top Bottom