What's new

Discussion Thread for Taylor of Old Bond Street #74 A/S Splash review...

Excellent review & pics Joel :thumbup:

I enjoy the Taylor splashes as well...but the one I have doesn't contain menthol (Shave Shop AS splash) :confused:

Wonderful stuff!
As with all Taylor's products they are as good as or, IMO, better than other well known London Gentlemen's fragrances and the price, well, it speaks volumes!

I can't even describe the awfulness of this scent. It is truly heinous. After I passed it to Joel, I think it gave him brain damage to post a review such as this. :rolleyes:

I must try this. Another controversial scent? Perhaps in the same vein as Lilac Vegetal--spurned by many, but when love strikes, it is true and it is forever.

I like this scent a lot. As mentioned the jasmine is unique and at first try may be a little off-putting. I think it took my nose a little while to figure out the scent. I definitely recommend giving it a try.

I like this scent a lot. As mentioned the jasmine is unique and at first try may be a little off-putting. I think it took my nose a little while to figure out the scent. I definitely recommend giving it a try.

I love complex scents that others seem to dislike. Controversial scents. I will definitely be getting this--I saw that WCS has a great deal on it.

I got it in, and splashed some on my wrist. very different--very floral. First impression--I love it. We'll see how I like it using it as the aftershave. I'm thinking it's going to be a big hit.

I've sampled the Pinaud tres Flores--which I think wishes it smelled like this.

I love this aftershave. And my significant other loves it even more!

Let me say a few things about it...

First of all, its truly an "old world" scent. In this way I see it as being a bit like Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet or Knize Ten. They just don't smell modern. They don't come up with too many new scents that smell like this one. I don't know when it was first produced but it really does smell like a by gone era.

At least on me, it goes on with a stingy sort of burn - much more so, for example, then Aqua Velva. But then it calms quickly and things are fine.

Its staying power is decent, if not good.

Price is also very good.

Again, if you have not tried it, remember what you're getting into. Its an old world scent, perfect for wearing to a very old Church, to a traditional pub, or for a day out on the water, or perhaps to a meeting of that secret society you belong to. But it might not be a scent you'd wear on your first date with someone, or to a trendy nightclub. Get my drift?

Anyway, this - along with a number of other scents from Taylor Of Old Bond Street - is simply outstanding.

The more I use this aftershave, the more I fall under its power. I am shocked that it engenders such a strong dislike in some. But I've been following the reviews and the tide seems to be turning.

It's become one of my favorites.

Alright, lets bring back this hoary old thread. Nearly seven years of age and started by none other than our Joel. It is October Buy-a-thon time for me again(thank goodness) and I am starting to run short of quality aftershaves. What say? Am I kidding? Running short on a/s splashes while hanging around this place? Well yes I am.

I have been rather good these last few years. Polishing off Taylor sandalwood, Taylor #74 Victorian Limes, Musgo Real Classic, D.R. Harris Marlborough, and a few others here and there. Yeah, I have some others laid up in the den but they are either favourites which are discontinued like Woods of Windsor a/s splash(when it was really WoW scent and not whatever this tripe is now) Harris Sandalwood or Tabac. Great scents but similar in that they are very masculine, autumn like scents. So their rotation will last a long time.

I have had a notion about this Taylor #74 Traditional for some while now. I know it is an Edwardian era scent which is a big PLUS for me. However, some of the old time floral scents are beyond cloying and I really do not need that experience. I have also seen this likened but not identical to the Veg.

So, for those of you who have tried or use this scent, what's your take? I can tell you I did NOT like the Veg. I did not get the feline urine thing from it nor did it smell horrid. More like a cheap urinal deodorising cake. Sorry to the Veg lovers but I...didn't. So is Traditional in the same vein or is it something of its own? The original reviews here at B&B are not overly clear other than to say it is floral/Jasmine. In male fragrance, does Jasmine play more like Lily of the Valley? LotV is very floral but not sickeningly sweet. How about projection? This more than anything leads to being "that guy" who everyone knows is coming half way down the hall. Is the a/s strength something to be concerned with? As an aside I would echo Joel's comments about Taylor a/s and cologne scents in general. While the a/s performance is nothing to write home about in my opinion, the scents themselves are rock solid and old school. Well, other than maybe St. James but so far the rest have been great for me. So lets hear it. I am placing an order or three this weekend and this either needs to be on the list or passed over this time. I want to make a good choice.

Cheers, Todd

I tried this and I don't think there's anything I can compare it to - there's just something in it that creates almost instant nausea for me. (It's nothing like Lilac Vegetal, which I love.)

Well Alan, if I decided to buy it I certainly hope that is not my reaction! I do understand what you mean by the nausea comment. I have had that experience before and not necessarily with something that was off or rotted. People react quite differently to scents. Eucris is a classic. I love it and cannot get enough. Others say it gives them a sense of rotten swill of some kind. Veg gives me the urinal cake/cleanser sense and a dose of it under the nose for a few hours would likely leave me a bit green around the gills as well. I am still confused a bit by the Traditional scent descriptions. I have seen it described as both Jasmine and Lilac based which is why I asked the questions about the Veg. I sure hope I can get someone's experience with it who could wear it more easily than you did. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers, Todd

Hi Todd, I have both LV and the #74 cologne. They are two different animals. The 74 is a classier, more upscale scent. But it feels out of place in our modern times, I can't (and haven't) see(n) anyone asking me what is that cologne that I am I wearing. I think you have to want to wear it for yourself.
I'm glad I own both the Veg and #74 (both Trad and Limes), but they don't get worn too often - I can't picture anyone wearing this as a signature scent. As always, you might want to try a decant first, though I get the sense you might like it. There is nothing else in the market that smells like it.

Thank you Vin. I suspect at some level I would probably like #74 Traditional. I think the Victorian Limes is about the best lime scent I have sniffed so there is a basis for this style or period of scent. I suspect Traditional would seen as cheap, sweet, and a bit overdone to most younger men which is exactly the way I look at the scents marketed to them in the malls! Thanks for the reply. I am leaning more toward buying it now. Particularly since it is not of the same vein as the Veg.

Cheers, Todd

PS; Gents, I wanted to amend this post to correct a misnomer I have been using. I have been calling this scent Traditional while Taylor clearly labels it as "Original". Sorry the faux pas.

Last edited:
The temptation was too great. I have a bottle of this aftershave winging its way to me as I type. In fact it should be here Friday or Saturday. Thank you Phil at Bullgoose. I added a small pack of the Personna Med Prep blades as well. So an update will be added here. for better or worse, early next week.

Cheers, Todd

I'm still liking the #74 and the limes. Might not get weekly use but I enjoy them both. Definitely scents from days gone by.

Top Bottom