What's new

Can some shaving creams cause razor burn?!

Just found out that some shaving creams have a numbing agent in the ingredients. Does it help? Or might it cause you to use too much pressure when shaving?

Has anyone used these? Like or dislike?

Thanks.

You mean menthol? Some guys love it. I don't care for the sensation so I have never had the opportunity to see if my shaves are worse when I can't feel my face. But many, many guys use Proraso regularly and get great shaves from it. As always it's YMMV.

Such as menthol?

I think around here you'll get a rash of people saying USE LESS PRESSURE! I prefer not to use these things, ot so much because they work, but because they're unnecessary and often have other effects. Some, like menthol, can burn by themselves.

Last edited:
The only times I have ever had razor burn was from stretching my skin too much and/or being too aggressive with the blade. Never had a problem from any shave soap/cream. Some are more slick then others, but I do not think it was ever the product. Some folks might be allergic to products, but that would seem to me to a rash not a real razor burn.

I think that once you have your technique down, and shave the same way pressure wise, it shouldn't matter which soap or cream you use.

Probably a lot of problems come from shavers always trying for that hard to get BBS, and going over the same area again and again. Then still feeling a bit of stubble they press just a bit harder and end up with razor burn. :001_tongu

I don't use mentholated shave cream (Nothing against it, just don't have any). But I do use mentholated aftershave. I do notice the numbing a little and think it feels quite good.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of menthol, or tea-tree oil, in anything...just smells a bit too "medicinal". So I just avoid products with them in. I know this means I might be missing some benefit to my shaves...but it's a price I'm willing to pay.

Oh man am I happy to see this thread. I've spent the last week swapping razors, brushes, AS, everything to confirm whether I was getting a rash from the menthol in C.O. Bigelow.

Nice to see that I'm not alone . . . back to the T&H sampler for me, then!

I got a really strong burning sensation from Geo F. Trumper's Sandalwood. Great shave, bad smell, horrible burn for me.

Logic would lead me to believe, yes. If something is numbing your face, and you can't feel the blade as well, naturally more pressure may occur........even if unknowingly. It is interesting that you brought this up, I have caused wicket razor burn after using Proraso pre/post........the stuff cools the hell out of my face and feels nice while I am shaving.........until the razor burn kicks in after. Maybe I shave to aggressively because of the menthol sensation>

Top Bottom