What's new

Watch lovers: Automatic vs. Quartz?

So this recent post got thinking:

I just bought a Seiko 5, and while I really like the looks of this watch, the accuracy is very poor. My question is, why do people like the automatics so much compared to the very accurate quartz watches?

Indeed, why?

I love watches, but for the most part have always purchased quartz. And I understand there are drawbacks to each type of watch. So I'm really curious: Why does it seem that so many watch aficionados prefer automatics?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

what automatic watches are to double edge razors.

Quartz watches, while highly accurate, just lack a "soul," to my thinking. I appreciate the history of watchmaking and the skill and manufacturing techniques that go into producing a good watch.

So this recent post got thinking:

Indeed, why?

I love watches, but for the most part have always purchased quartz. And I understand there are drawbacks to each type of watch. So I'm really curious: Why does it seem that so many watch aficionados prefer automatics?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Very good question, I wear an automatic 99%, but sometimes put on my small modest collection of Accutrons, the first of the modern watch movements. My 2 cents is that the quartz represents "Cheap ***' to many, while the autos scream "Rolex".

Attachments

• $spaceview64.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 480
  • $gmtredwrist.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 478
Very good question, I wear an automatic 99%, but sometimes put on my small modest collection of Accutrons, the first of the modern watch movements. My 2 cents is that the quartz represents "Cheap ***' to many, while the autos scream "Rolex".

What model is the watch on the left?

I like it. :thumbup1:

Actually I only have 1 quartz watch.. a vintage Seamaster. All my other omegas are either wind or auto's... I rarely wear the quartz, but wear the manual winds all the time, Love the "life" of these watches

I have a real hankering for a vintage gold Omega Seamaster with date window. Don't have a reason, just want one.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I like it also :), it is an Accutron "Spaceview" M4, 1964. Runs today with about the same accuracy as was guaranteed when new, the famous "Minute a Month"

The other Accutrons just to share ..

Thanks

Gary

What model is the watch on the left?

I like it. :thumbup1:

When I got my first Omega about 15 years ago I got talked out of an automatic by the salesman who told me that they didn't keep accurate time and that I was much better off with a quartz. Since then I've sort of regretted not getting the automatic.

Automatic or manual only for me...I'm not about to pay that kind of money for a watch powered via battery. No workmanship needed for a battery powered watch.

I have many watches, and most of them are mechanical, i.e. automatic or manual wind. Some of these are extremely accurate, within a few seconds per day. My reason for collecting mechanical watches over the quartz variety, is that I love the machinery itself. I'm fascinated by the fact that these complicated, tiny machines with hundreds of parts can be fashioned into such elegant and useful objects. I also love to see them while they're working, which is why I have many watches with "exhibition" backs. Quartz watches just sit there with no moving gears or springs to speak of; they just tick every second in the most boring way imaginable. (Strictly speaking, by the way, I believe the Accutron watch like the Spaceview is not a quartz watch, but rather an electric watch with a tuning fork mechanism and a smooth sweeping second hand, which is a much more elegant disply than the tick-tick-tick of a quartz watch). For the same reason, I love all -mechanical film cameras, like my old rangefinders. They're built like tanks and are real works of art. They also still help me take wonderful photos.:001_smile

Love my Omega's... Have a submariner, never wear it! I feel the omegas are better watches and not austentatious

I prefer an automatic movement to a quartz movement.

I depend on my watch to keep time and my watch depends on me to keep it wound. Their is something about that relationship that really appeals to me.

I think that my watch has character that most quartz watches will never have.

I have never had a quartz watch last longer then a couple of years, even a Tag. My only automatic watch is a Seiko Orange Monster. I've had it for nearly 4 years and it's still going strong.

I think that mechanical watches are engineering marvels. Have you seen the tiny little gears inside of the casing? I know that quartz watches are pretty sophisticated also, but it isn't the same thing to me.

Years ago I wanted a watch that keep very very accurate time. I would check my watch (a G-Shock) against the atomic clock once or twice a month and reset it to keep it as accurate as possible. My Seiko isn't as accurate as a cheap Timex. I don't worry about how many seconds my Seiko gains or looses in a day. If I a want super accurate watch I'll get a solar powered, atomic wrist watch. My Seiko is as accurate as I need it to be. It may gain a couple of minutes a month, or loose them. And I like it that way.

the accutrons are quite curious watches, becuase they are pre quartz electrics, they carry an electrical primed tunning fork which operates at 300hz,

that movement sparked a whole range of electrics from swiss companies aswell, the omega f300Hz watches, they also made high end 720hz and a 3.2KHz marine cronograph

the tunning fork movement was more expencive to make then the japanese quartz controlled movements and offered no advantage over them, since they were the same for mechanical watch lovers, theres no beauty in a circuit, little mechanics, and quarts was ALOT more accurate running with a referance frequency of 32KHz and losing/gaining around 15 seconds a month against the 30-45 of the tunning fork models,

then came high requency quartz watches, which have a 192KHz referance signal and lost 15-20 seconds a year,

but the accutrons still have their charm, one of only 2 totaly fluid watch movements, the other one being the Seiko spring drive which uses a magnetic brake escapement, so it dosnt tick, the movement is slowed down by drag insted of being started and stoped in mechanical watches, and the accurtrons just hum along, some people like it, im still looking for a nice tunning fork watch to try,

I have a Seamaster Deville from I believe the 60's. It's a great watch; I bought it for a hundred bucks and put a bit of work into it. It's a close second to my grandfather's Hamilton. :001_tongu

I prefer automatics to quartz. Automatics are small motors with many parts. When you consider that watch companies like Breguet have been producing them since 1775, they are true marvels.

Nevertheless, you can't beat the accuracy and ease of ownership of quartz. Casio, Tissot, etc. make great quartz watches.

Own both and have it your way.

Top Bottom